Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 My raised garden beds "lasagna gardening"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic My raised garden beds "lasagna gardening" Next Topic  

salt.marsh.selkie
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Marie
Woburn MA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

Just in case anyone is looking for a quick and easy way to start some new beds. Even, or especially in small spaces. I thought I'd share what I've done.

This is the way I created the 8 raised beds I had at my mothers. My brother built me frames, using untreated lumber (recycled "plastic" lumber works well too! or even cinder blocks or bricks). He used 2" x 8"s, 3 for each bed, 2 were left full-length 8' and cut one into 2 halves, for the ends. He framed them out to make a rectangle, 8" high by 8' long by 4' wide. He used 4"x4" untreated posts screwed into the corner of the frame, flush with the bottom also 4' at each corner to add stability and for me to string deer fencing around.

When the frames were done. I layed them out right on top of the lawn with the corner posts sticking up. Then I spread out overlapping sheets of newspaper to cover the entire area inside the frame and a little up the sides. I wet the paper down with a hose, and started dumping in organic compost. everything from fresh kitchen scraps (no meat, no dairy, no grease -- to chemical free grass clippings, rotted leaves and manure. The bottom half the bed can be pretty fresh, raw stuff that will decompose over time. The top half I filled with (purchased) organic topsoil. This is all GREAT to do in the fall and your beds will be happy, wormy havens by the spring. (I've also added beds in the spring and just used less raw matter)

The newspaper kills off the grass, but somehow the worms find there way up through. Which is what you want for lovely, workable organic garden soil.

In small spaces I've been creative, using other materials to create the raised bed frame. Anything that won't leach into the soil or rot too quickly is a candidate for this purpose. the idea is to build up nice rich soil and keep topping it up with compost and organic matter every year. The plants love it! There's less weeding. I never have to kill myself with that initial double digging thing. And the beds look neat and tidy.

I set them apart enough to mow in between with the lawn mower and I use flexible deer fencing, that I can hook over screw heads on the corner posts to keep the little and large critters out. I just unhook the fencing to access the bed.

At my new apartment, my honey and I have a small backyard. So we got permission from the landlord and I've used 4 - 3" x 3" snap together, recycled plastic frames that I got from <www.gardeners.com> and filled them the same way.

I can't take any credit for the original ideas. I've gotten it all from great books on lasagna gardening. and organic growing. My favorite book recommendations on this subject are:

Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens : No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
by Patricia Lanza

Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces: A Layering System for Big Results in Small Gardens and Containers (Rodale Organic Gardening Book) (Paperback)
by Patricia Lanza

Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden (Paperback)
by Sally Jean Cunningham

This Organic Life
by Joan Dye Gussow

Now that it's fall...time to read up and start planning for next year! Happy gardening!

-Marie

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:23:29 PM  Show Profile
I garden in this manner now for 2 years and I think it is the best. It saves so much weeding and is rreally good for the soil

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  12:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Marie -- I have all those books. Thanks for sharing your tips on the raised beds. This is the best and easiest way to garden. No more digging for me if I can help it.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Marie -

Great information. I have raised beds and always try to put my compost, steer manure, leaves, etc in the fall so they have all winter to decompose etc. Then I turn the soil in early, early spring and let it sit a bit longer before I start planting. So far it has been working well.

Anne

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  08:19:58 AM  Show Profile
I've read about this before! I need to try this!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  8:10:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited to try this. I have some existing raised beds, but for some reason, the soil in them is stunting whatever I plant. It's really weird. I can't figure it out... Anyway, I think I'm going to dig out the dirt that's in there and start with the "lasagna gardening" method. Thanks for the hints!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  03:22:52 AM  Show Profile
i recently discovered patricia lanza's book and have been sharing these ideas via phone with honey hunk ... we ae going to make a lasgna garden this fall for spring planting. it all sounds so great when you read these books.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic My raised garden beds "lasagna gardening" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page