Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile
My daughter has just started 4h (she's a cloverbud), and I am completely, thoroughly confused. Is there some sort of handbook that I can reference? I know we're supposed to do projects, and we even have some ideas, but other than that, there is no direction. Help!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  07:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Good going Bonnie of the Mocha Moose. I like it!! MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  05:55:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolinagirl

My daughter has just started 4h (she's a cloverbud), and I am completely, thoroughly confused. Is there some sort of handbook that I can reference? I know we're supposed to do projects, and we even have some ideas, but other than that, there is no direction. Help!

Kim in NC

Kim we were Cloverbud years ago and I wish I knew then what I knew now after going to a leader's meeting.

Cloverbuds do not have any criteria to meet. The idea is to get them aquainted with the 4H program.

All the projects are up to the leaders and parents, don't be afraid to give your ideas. I wish I had, I was young and not sure of my ability so I kept my mouth shut. The kids were not doing anything much more than glueing popsicle sticks together. There should be some sort of democracy going on; finding out what the kids are interested in and letting them know what is out there. Your 4H office does have age appropriate ideas and packets for anyone's use. They should be more than willing to give direction and help if a leader is having trouble getting things off the ground.

When I went to my first leaders meeting in January, I met a really nice lady who has a cloverbud group. She spoke about how she and her husband run their meetings. If I remember correctly they meet twice a month. One meeting is a hands on meeting, say a science experiment or a very simple hand sewing project. The follow up meeting is a field trip, maybe an outdoor hike to back up the science project or a local museum to look at handmade goods.

I encourage you to stick it out and see how you can help the group along if you have the time. As I learn more I am very excited about the opportunites 4H offers. You really need to know what is available from your local office and I think that will help you and the leader!

Let me know how it goes! Oh, here is the North Carolina 4H webpage, maybe that will help you out!
http://www.nc4h.org/

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  06:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Yay! Bonnie, good for you that you are not discouraged due to someone else's poor planning. I remember we sort of ran our club ourselves and only needed the extension service for materials and things like demonstrations, judging, questions, etc...They are a great liason for when the kids are older and might want to be involved on a broader basis in county and statewide activities. My 4-H agent wrote one of my letters of recommendation for college! So they can be helpful. Our program ran from Sept. - June and then there were summer activities like camp and THE FAIR!!! Good luck and have fun it is certainly a worthwhile endeavor.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile
kim, when you fill out an enrollment form there are things that you pick that you want to be your project. Your 4-H agent should have information on those things at their office. It is for kids under the age of 8 to get involved in 4-H , I know that at the livestock shows there is always classes for kids under the age of 8.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  8:53:12 PM  Show Profile
The Mocha Mooose! How funny! We had some crazy names for clubs too,
ours was "All Thumbs"! Glad you stuck it out and have some help! It will all be fine and you will have fun too. Good luck Bonnie!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  04:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Bramble! I am really looking forward to it! I am glad I stuck it out too. I was just determined to give these kids a place where they could learn that sewing and creating (WHATEVER we get into) is a fun and fulfulling experience.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlinthesand
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

maggie
Williston Fl
USA
38 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  05:47:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I run a 4H group in Fl. I ended up taking over the group because the old leader wasnt interested in anything but showing at the county fair. I just ended my second year and I feel like things are finally starting to come together. Our county office was also havinglotsof changes when I started so it was really hard to pull info out of them. Finally I am seeing lots of fun ways to hold meetings and get the kids interested in really being a "club'. Most of the kids in my area are only interested in showing livestock at the fair to make money so its been a struggle to get them interested in doing other projects. Im excited about this coming year. I have more kids that are interested in going for awards on their projects instead of just showing an animals and making a buck. We are going to do a scrapbook for county and have officers this year. Ive gotten a lot of good info by just goggling 4H and seeing what other clubs are doing. We should start a 4H thread with activities that our clubs are doing :)
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:32:04 PM  Show Profile
We entered our quilts and pillows in the fair tonight! What a great feeling to have made it to this point. I hope the girls are as happy as I am!! Lots of blue ribbons all around!

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Bonnie!! That must be a really good feeling to see all your efforts come to fruition. That's my favorite building at our fair - to see all the 4H sewing.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:21:49 PM  Show Profile
The kids and I are doing 4H...and will focus on cooking, sewing AND livestock. I just ordered a bunch of books and we are getting started. The kids have gone to a couple workshop things put on by 4H in the next town, but our group is just us. The girls were in a 4H talent show a few months back too..great fun.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Good for you and the kids, Bonnie. Going to fair is just the greatest. And blue already. YIPPEE!!! mb

www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  06:36:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! It was our first fair and really exciting. Once again I had my camera in hand, but got so busy I did not take one picture! I did take a picture before we left of my DD and her quilt:

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  07:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Adorable! She looks so proud........
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  07:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful job. MB

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  06:19:31 AM  Show Profile
I added pictures of our display on my blog if anyone is interested!!
~Blessings

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  06:45:44 AM  Show Profile
I looked---YAY for the whole group.. MB

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic 4H Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page