Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I am interested in finding out if anyone leads a 4H group. Especially one that focuses on sewing/crafts, cooking and community service. I am a new leader and would love your advice and/or stories.

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  04:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Bonnie, I am from Hoosick FAlls, NY near Bennington VT. I do not lead a 4-H group but led a girlscout group and I grewup in a 4-H group that was sewing, crafts and cooking. My leader taught us how to sew straight through suitmaking. There were books that she followed because all of the groups made the same items for the same age group. Our sewing barn at the fair was huge, not what it is today.
She alternated sewing with cooking and did crafts when the opportunatey arose. We would go on bird identification hikes and nature collection hikes etc. We made terrariums, simple cosmetics, sented hankerchief bags for linens etc.
It was by far the most important organization I have ever belonged to. It has made me what I am today and gave me all the skills to be a wellrounded person.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  05:02:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank You, Marianne. I never belonged to 4H or Girl Scouts growing up. It's only been in my adult life that I have been trying to learn the art of "making your own" anything! I guess that is why I'd like to take what I have been learning and share it with my kids and their friends now. People think kids don't want to cook and sew but they do! I have had over 15 responses since I have announced I was becoming a leader. (that's alot in our small little town!)
I like what you said about how 4H influenced you and will remember that as a group leader.
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  8:29:37 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in hearing your experiences. I have been thinking about doing this since my kids have left home but I'm not sure I have enough time to devote.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  03:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda! I'll be happy to share with you! Getting started seems to be the longest part. These days they have to do background checks and they actually CALL your references...so it takes a while to get up and running.
So I will let you know how things go...I have never "taught" crafts and sewing b4!
Love your blog by the way...new inspiration for the grape vines that choke out my trees!
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  04:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie! Welcome to MJF by the way! I was a 4-Her from 9-18, and have done judging, run workshops, etc. The 4-H program in my county has dwindled drasticly from when my husband and I belonged. My club did sewing, cooking, gardening, Rocketry(!) and any other subject that interested us. My husband's group was conservation based and they did things like camping out to do wildlife counts, stream/pond monitoring, forest surveys etc. I would have to agree that it was by far the best organization I have ever belonged to. My son does Scouts now since that was strong here in our community, but I still prefer the philosophy and equality that 4-H fosters and the ability to meet so many kids through 4-H programs, fairs, camp etc. If you make a friend in 4-H, they seem to be friends for life! If you have any questions or need help just email me, I would be happy to help.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  05:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I learned to make grapevine wreaths in 4-H! yet another great activity
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  07:24:19 AM  Show Profile
4H was way better than girl scouts in my opinion. The advantage to 4H is that they let you (or at least they used to let you) decide your own focus for the group - our group (led by my dad) was all cooking - International cooking to be more precise. We got to research and design our own menus - each one based on a different country's traditional cooking, earn money for ingredients, do a field trip to buy the ingredients and then learn how to cook the meals. Not to mention EATING the meals which was our favorite part. We also researched traditional outfits, traditions and holidays too. And later, as a group, we went to some of the 4H organized classes on sewing.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

lambgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Heidi
Ellensburg wa
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  4:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,

I am a 4-H leader but only do livestock. Your county extension office should have all sorts of project information available for you. I have found that going online and looking at other 4-H websites has helped getting ideas for club projects. There are alot of clubs that have their own websites as well. I have been doing this for almost 5 years now and enjoy every minute of working with kids. I hope you enjoy it was well.

Good Luck
Heidi
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  4:22:32 PM  Show Profile
I was just going to say what Heidi said, about the extension office. I was a 4-H leader for 15 years, we had horses and the gang was in parades and mostly gamed their horses. It was a lot of fun we did lots of horsey projects. Mainly ask lots of questions of other leaders or if you are in an area where you are just about the only one ask the other mothers to help you out.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 16 2007 11:47:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, I am a 4H leader and we do alot of livestock, but promote cooking and sewing and wood crafts as well. I do not lead the sewing/cooking group as I can't do both. I would love to talk to you about it though. You could do some small projects like placemats or hot pads, and in cooking you could do cookies or we have even done smoothies. Our county lets kids enter cooking and sewing and photography. You can email me or IM me any time.

Angi~wife, momma, 4H leader & Txfarmgal -Be Joyful Always 1 Thes. 5:18
http://www.etsy.com/your_shop.php MommaNMe Country store
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  10:45:54 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing about all of your 4H experiences, having two little boys. They are too young right now, but I'm sure (at least I HOPE!!!) they'll be into some sort of 4H activities later. I actually saw some REALLY young kids on horses down at our town's riding arena and I stopped the other week to ask - it was "Pee Wee 4H Horsemanship" and those kids started at three years old! It was one of the best things I've seen around - they were darling and were learning manners as well as horsemanship. It completely sold me on 4H. I can't wait!!! -- ahem... I mean I'm sure that my boys can't wait!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  6:26:17 PM  Show Profile
I too did 4-H with my daughter for many years. I was a club leader and on the Horse and Pony board, and was the Horse Bowl coach for many years. 4-H is hands down the best activity for a kid, rural or town. I was totally equine, but we did other projects too, and enjoyed hearing about what the other kids were doing. It was so much fun and excitement with the county fair and then state fair! You'll love it.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  09:34:52 AM  Show Profile
What is the right time to start up a 4-H group? Do they start in January or when the school year starts?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  10:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,

I grew up in 4-H, 1972 - 1982. After that I helped my mom with her sheep project when I was home from school. When my daughter was old enough I enrolled her in Primary 4-H (5 to 8-year olds), some areas call them Clover Buds. Since then I have been a Foods, Poultry, Gardening, Floriculture, and Sheep Project Leader (not all at the same time). Now I just lead the Sheep Project.

If I were to make any suggestions it would be to keep the projects appropriate for the age group and not too many meetings per month. Parents want their kids in 4-H, but don't want a lot of meetings to attend. We have Project meetings once a month and the kids can usually finish something each month. Livestock projects of course are long time committments.

When my daughter first started sewing they made book bags, tote bags and aprons. In foods we made simple cassaroles and quick breads. We have had doll making projects where the kids make a different handmade doll each meeting, cornhusk, broom etc.

Our Poultry Project is getting ready to do an egg to table project. The kids will hatch eggs, raise the chicks for either laying hens or meat birds. Participating in the butchering is always optional.

As for Community Service projects, identify a need in your area and determine how the club can help. It doesn't have to be big. We make tray decorations for Meals-On-Wheels, an organization that serves hot meals to seniors who are not able to leave their homes. We also collect food for a local food pantry and in the Spring we join other clubs in the county for a beach clean-up day. Hope this helps.

Brenda - check with your local Cooperative Extension Office regarding your county's 4-H year. Each state may be different. Ours is Sept 1 - Aug 31 so we roughly start at the beginning of the school year. Our county fair is in mid-August so we get a lot of phone calls later in the month.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Well, you won't believe this, or maybe it's normal and you will. But I have JUST been notified of the leader's meeting I am supposed to attend to get STARTED! My last phone call to the office was either overlooked or ignored so I was having a friend go through people she knew to see what was going on. Amazingly, I received a letter in the mail Saturday announcing the meeting tonight! I want to do this so much that I am not discouraged, I am just not thrilled because NOW it is finally snowing and I do not like driving at night in the snow!
So maybe now I will have 4H stories to tell!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:50:35 AM  Show Profile
I could say standard procedure but I won't. haha!! Take somebody with you, maybe they will drive. But go!! We are waiting for the 4H stories. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Wanted to let you know that I'm a 4-H leader and I do sewing, clothining selection, and cooking with my group. We also do livestock but my sisters are the ones that take over that part. I was in 4-H all my life. My Mom was my leader. If you have any questions just email me and I will try to help you. Your 4-H agent should be able to give you all the information. have some neat little projects will be willing to share with you. Good luck!!!
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  2:01:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Laura, I will definately want to get in touch with you when things finally get rolling!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I was in 4H very briefly at the advanced age of 16! I have been a girl scout most of my life, though. I spent the last two summers as a counselor at a girl scout camp. It was a lot of fun, but there were some disappointments. First of all, the girls were too, well, girly! Eww, that creek is gross I'm not going in there, I can't drink well water, I don't like bugs, there's a spider in my tent, I'm not supposed to get my clothes dirty, my mom will kill me if I don't brush my hair x times a day. Getting dirty, catching bugs, playing in the creek; those were all highlights of my childhood days! Hehe, they're still highlights of my early adult days! Sometimes I think I enjoyed the nature activities more than the kids, and definitely more that the other counselors. There was hardly any nature programming, things like hikes, survival skills, conservation education, plant identification. The crafts were terrible, too. They were all cheap, easy to assemble kits. I would have liked to do basket making, candle making, woodworking, nature crafts, leather crafts. Things that can be done fairly easily but that won't fall apart and get thrown away as soon as they get home. I still have a beautiful basket that I made at camp. When I think of scouts I think of hiking, camping, horseback riding, crafts. Every year I suggested horseback riding as an activity to do with our cookie money and we never did it! I guess I should have been a boy scout! I really wish I would have joined 4H when I was younger, too. But I think being a leader is a wonderful idea! Maybe I'll look into that! I know I made my camp experience sound negative, but as a whole, it was so very positive. Being a role model for young girls was amazing. I couldn't believe how much they looked up to the counselors and really got attached to us. You really don't have to be famous to be a star in the eyes of a child. Well, I feel like I've been rambling on, so I think I'll sign off with a good luck! Have fun in your 4H adventures and keep up posted!

Laura

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:47:06 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, did you ever go to the leader meeting you were worried about? MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:21:58 AM  Show Profile
I did go, MaryBeth, and I am glad I did. They were very informative. In a way I wish I started when my kids were younger, but it's never too late I guess.
I did find out that the lady in charge of enrollment STILL has not sent me all the paperwork to get started...it's a little aggravating, but who knows what is going on that makes her unorganized. She said she'd get it all right in the mail, we'll see!
I am bound and determined to do this so they may get sick of me!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  4:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Bonnie. How old are your kids? They will still enjoy what is offered. If you don't get the mail in a week call again. Good luck. MB

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:53:50 PM  Show Profile
I really am enjoying reading this topic - thanks for the stories and information! I just can't wait until my little guys are old enough.....

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  8:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Laura, I'm a lifetime Girl Scout. When I was 12 I left the Girl Scouts for 4-H because I could get a lot more horseback riding in in 4-H - I joined an all-horse club. But when my children (both girls) reached the age to get started in organized activities I ended up as a Girl Scout leader, and realized that the life-time membership fee would entitle me to camp at any Girl Scout camp around the world as well as not being very much more than 10 years of annual dues...

So I bit the bullet and paid up for the lifetime membership. I'm glad I did. Now that my girls have left home I'm not actively involved with Scouts any more except maybe once or twice a year I help with a council-wide activity. I do enjoy reading about the troops in the local and national publications though. I was thinking about maybe signing up to be a camp counselor one of these summers - if I can get enough time off work.

I was an outdoors activity kind of Girl Scout leader, got the girls out to the nature center, at the day camp, or even just playing outdoor games every time I could, so I understand what you are saying. There was a group of moms who expected more of an indoor crafty type of leader and they ended up pulling their girls out of the troop, my feelings were hurt but I guess everyone has their own perspective on what Girl Scouts should be. They didn't start up their own troop, so I felt sorry for what the girls were missing.

Anyway, 4-H was quite a bit different (at least from my perspective) than Girl Scouts. My girls spent their formative years in a suburb north of Detroit, so they never really got involved in 4-H. Both organizations have a lot of strong points and I think either one is good to help kids grow up and develop their abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  05:51:58 AM  Show Profile
After 5 months of waiting, filling out paperwork, waiting, filling out more paperwork, I am finally a 4H leader. Turns out our local Co-op office was going through some "transition" so everything was just taking longer.
So good things come to those who wait. We had our first meeting this past Saturday. 9 girls, and my son! There are 3 more girls that didn't show, they may or may not jump in. I had 5 moms stay and they all filled out paperwork to be volunteers so it's looking good. The group voted for officers (picture this, they are 12-14 year old girls, all friends, it was crazy! Then throw in my 12 year old boy!) They did good though.
Next we had to choose a name. Suddenly they were silent! Come on gang, you must be able to think of something! The mom's started putting names out there, which the girls of course didn't think were any good!
So they came up with Mocha Moose!
No! I say, that has nothing to do with what we are going to be doing!
But you are our Moosie leader! They say.
I let them break for refreshments and went back a little later thinking they had come up with something else.
Nope we are the Mocha Moose!
Next time we start to sew...should be quite the experience!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic 4H Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page