doggiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Laura
Blue Creek Ohio
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  11:43:17 AM  Show Profile

Well it is that time of year again to home can... It is nice to look in the canning room and see all the produce canned.... today we canned tomatoes... we were very nervous about our tomatoes this year because of blight.. possibly from to much rain... it is funny.. last year we were praying for rain... and this year actually to much... I guess you have to take whatever the good lord gives us... I am going to have surgery on Tues. of next week... bunion surgery... my grandmother suffered with her bunions and I am not going to let bunions hurt my feet.. a little nervous about the surgery... we are getting as much done as possible here before next week... has anyone had this kind of surgery??? Well hope all of you are doing well with your canning and gardens this year... prepare for winter... who knows what kind of weather we will have... hope to talk more soon... Laura

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3078 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3078 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  09:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Laura,
Hope your surgery goes well. I've been canning too - peaches that I bought, berries from the woods, salsa from the garden, and corn from the neighbor. I love this time of year. It is so satisfying to see the full jars :)

Heather

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  09:45:35 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could be canning more than I am :( We just simply are not getting the produce we usually do!!! I am working on canning the peaches we bought though... 5 bushels worth! I feel like I have peaches coming out of my eye balls at the moment! o.O One day i will learn to cut back on what I am planning to put up when I am nursing a newborn every other hour :/ Of course, by the time I learn, I will probably be done having kids, lol.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile
I put up tomatoes and snap beans in the last couple of days. Would love to find a great salsa recipe to can myself. We go through a lot.

Praying your surgery goes well Laura!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doggiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Laura
Blue Creek Ohio
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile
thanks for prayers... I have got to admit I am a little scared... my husband will be with me as for the rest of my family... my two sisters and my son work... my mother is unable to drive due to a right foot that is a drop foot do to hip replacement surgery that did not go well for her... I do know if she could be here that day, she would... I love her even though she can be mighty hatefull but at 84 years I guess to expect that... sorry I posted the canning on the wrong sight... I just wasn't thinking... thanks again... laura
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  12:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Denise,
I enjoy this Salsa Recipe. I call it Best-Ever Salsa.
It is the most flavorful I have ever tasted.
Ingredients: 12 medium tomatoes, raw; 5 small chili peppers; 5 small jalapeno, raw and chopped; 5 small yellow peppers; 1/4 cup vinegar; 3 teaspoons salt; 1 medium red onion; 3 medium garlic cloves; 1/3 package cilantro; 1 can tomato paste. Cook tomatoes in boiling water, until skin peels off easily (about 10 minutes). Peel skin from tomatoes and dice. Return diced tomatoes to a large pot. In a blender mix chili peppers, vinegar, salt, onion, cilantro and garlic. Mix until finely chopped. Add to tomatoes. Cook tomato and pepper mixture about 1 hour until seasonings have blended together. You may add a can of tomato paste to thicken if necessary. Yields 20 one cup servings. I am not sure how to convert this to a canning process. Perhaps the other sisters can help with this. I would think you could put it in canning jars and then water bath can it? Take care now, Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  4:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Annie, thanks so much for the recipe! Definitely going to try this one.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic homecanning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page