BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  09:36:26 AM  Show Profile
We are a pet-less family. We've had chickens in the past and had a Weimaraner for a year or so; but we currently have no pets. Until now! We decided to foster a dog from one of our local dog rescues - the thinking is two-fold. First, we get an animal out of a kill shelter so s/he doesn't die; second, we can "try before we buy" sort of deal, and we can see which breed fits well with our family. (the weim wasn't it - he was huge, knocked my kids over and down the stairs, ate food out of my boys' hands while they were trying to eat it...anyway, we got rid of him because he was not getting enough attention - I had just had my 3rd child - and have been without a pet for a year or so).

So, we got our first foster dog on Thursday. His name is Pancake, and he's a pocket pittie - about half the size of a normal pit bull. He is the sweetest dog ever, and absolutely adores the kids (and they him). We've explained to the kids about fostering and what it means, but I think they are already convinced that Pancake is our dog. I have a feeling he probably is as well, but then again, I'd really like to foster a few more just to make sure. But I'd hate to have someone else adopt him and look back and realize we should've done it ourselves. KWIM?

Does anyone else foster rescue animals?

I love wool! Visit my website: www.heartfeltwool.com
Blogging successes and failures at: www.thegrastysyarden.blogspot.com

Edited by - BarnHeart on Apr 21 2013 09:39:43 AM

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  10:13:43 AM  Show Profile
I tried but ended up keeping all of them (except the one my husband adopted out while I was at the store) Grrr! Fostering is a great and very rewarding thing to do. Its just sometimes hard to let go but you know you cant keep them all.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  3:28:04 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean. I would end up keeping all of them! What a cutie!
Thank you for caring for rescued animals!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  10:05:00 AM  Show Profile
Me too. I have good intentions when we rescue cats and dogs but they usually end up staying here. We get to attached. I love the name pancake the name alone would make me keep him. What a cute dog.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile
I have fostered many Golden Retrievers. Some for a short period of time, some for almost a year. I love the fact that you can find out a lot about the dog, work on changing behavior, loving them back to trusting people, etc. The hard part is letting them go, but knowing that you saved them and learned what type of people/families they need is very rewarding. Yes I cried everytime one left our home. It also allowed us to foster another pup. Good luck with your family adventure. Great teaching moment for your children too.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Autumn,
It is called a Foster Fail! Bless you for fostering. I have fostered dogs in the past, it is hard to let them go but rewarding to know that you helped them until they found their home. Pancake is a cutie for sure. Pocket Pitties are great dogs! My son has two and my daughter has one. Keep us posted!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile
We ran a Retired Racing Greyhound Rescue for a few years. It's just a mind set that you install before you take on the responsibility. We always looked at it like we were more of a "hotel." Meaning, you take them in, rehab them, work hard to find the right home for them, and then move them on... creating a vacancy. It's all about taking the steps to create a vacancy. You want the hotel guests, but the more frequently you have vacancies, the more animals you can foster and truly RESCUE.

The difference though, is that you must realize that sometimes your hotel guests come back... so it's always good to keep a spare room open at all times. If you plan to foster one dog... really plan for two because the dog you fostered last month, might bounce back, and even if you have foster dog #2, you'll want room for foster dog #1 to return to temporarily.

We transitioned from greyhounds to helping another all-breed rescue and fostered a myriad of other dogs. It is a nice way to familiarize yourself with that attributes you like about certain breeds. It also helped me learn how to be a sort of "adoption counselor" for other people who might say, "we were thinking about getting a dog..." I could ask them about thier lifestyle and have confidence recommending a dog that would suit that lifestyle. I hate it when people say, "Well, I want to start exercising, so I need an active dog." That's BS and they should know it. If you don't exercise now, get a dog that is low energy, because it's not fair to expect a Border Collie to stay in the house when you suddenly don't FEEL LIKE exercising anymore.

There are huge benefits to fostering... of any kind. We no longer foster because our hotel is full of permanent guests, and now our life is filled with raising our two sons, so there is little time to contribute to actively promoting our fosters and rehabbing them. Someday, though, when the boys are grown, I'd like to foster again.

Best Tip: Keep a binder of pictures and bios of EVERY animal you foster. Not only is it fun to look at, but it is also a good way to remember an animal's age, bio, history, and adopters. That information is good to keep for a variety of situations.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com

Edited by - MtnGrlByTheBay on Jul 30 2013 10:11:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  2:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Pancake is so cute. Love rescue animals. All of mine have been rescues, but I am not foster mom material. I would want to keep them all. God bless all of you out there who do foster and run rescue missions. You are all animal angels. Keep us posted, it does sound as if Pancake has found his forever home, though. Wink, Wink.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  2:51:12 PM  Show Profile
I haven't updated for awhile. We are now on our fourth foster dog! We had Pancake, Lady (an overlooked mama dog that stole my heart), Sally, and now Lola. She has a meet and greet on Sunday, and if all goes well, we will move onto our fifth foster! This is such a rewarding experience. So much that we think we will be perpetual fosters! We travel to my inlaws' frequently, 5 hours away, and we drive a Prius with 3 kids...no room for a pooch. This works out so well...we get our dog fix without the long term commitment, and help dogs that would otherwise be euthanized. Best of both worlds!

I love wool! Visit my website: www.heartfeltwool.com
Blogging successes and failures at: www.thegrastysyarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  3:14:07 PM  Show Profile
I worked at a rural Kentucky shelter and we always fostered dogs. Loved it. We had 4 of our own, but fostering really helped the dogs become part of a pack and learn the ropes. Our GSD, Rose, took them under her wing and showed them how to crate up and who was first out the door into the backyard. I found them all wonderful homes and we are still with our "original" four dogs. I wonder, are you working with the shelter in New Albany? The New Albany Floyd County shelter? One of our farmgirls on the forum, her husband is the director--wouldn't that be a small, small world?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog Fostering Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page