Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Rooster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Rooster Next Topic  

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  08:49:25 AM  Show Profile
Can any of the chicken experts on here explain to me why my "sweet" rooster just attacked me out of the blue? He did the same thing to our dog Abby yesterday (Abby was actually scared of him and she hid behind me after the attack). He attacked me while I was pruning my roses. Abby was sniffing at my car when I got home from work when she was attacked, oblivious to the rooster until he spurred her. Didn't hurt Abby much, but he left a pretty huge gash in the back of my leg.

Anyway, this rooster has never been aggressive, Raised him up from a chick. We had 3 other roosters we got rid of due to their aggression, kept this one because of his mild manners. I just thought it was odd he puffed up and spurred us when we were minding our own business.

Any ideas ladies?

Sincerely,

Brandy

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and he's an Australorp. They are supposed to be docile.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  5:13:22 PM  Show Profile
raging hormones...carry a broom with you and if he starts to attack, quickly pick him up with the broom and toss him, if he comes back again, wack him with the broom, and if he comes back a third time, time to put him in the stew pot...aggressive roosters can be dangerous, especialy with kids and small animals...good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  7:28:07 PM  Show Profile
We have always had Australorps and when we had three we gradually had to get rid of them because as each left the next became aggressive. We no longer have any and don't intend to get roosters again. In fact in our township we are only allowed to have a rooster on the property for 10 tens days at a time every thirty days. Weird but there it is. When my son was much younger he got spurred by the first one and the then the second rooster wasn't too bad but as time went on he became aggressive too. Better not to have them unless you are going to be hatching your own eggs.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Hormones... that explains it. Well it looks like we have to give him up after all. Can't have an aggressive rooster around my babies, who will be walking soon, and out and about around the chickens. Even if I beat him with a broom I can't risk a sneak attack.

Thank you for your input ladies.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Rooster Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page