Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Bully rules at school Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  05:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I am throwing this out, to see what you all think of this school rule.

We were talking about school, and my middle school daughter tells me this: If you are hit by another kid, you can't hit back until after being hit 3 times.

I'm going to investigate with the school to be sure it's true, but wanted other opinions on this.

I think it's absurd personally.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  05:42:36 AM  Show Profile
You're right, Kristina. That's nuts. So, the kids cannot defend themselves? We are supposed to teach them to be victims? Seriously! No one wants children to fist fight, but if someone is going to put their hands on my kid, I want him to defend himself. We have always told him not to start a fight, but if someone else does, he has our permission to defend himself. We have watched him exercise incredible restraint while being egged on to fight, and thankfully he has never taken the first swing. But if ANYONE dare put their hands on him, he has been prepared and we want him to stand up to a bully and defend himself. He has also gone so far as to step in to protect other kids from bullying. Thankfully, he is very tall and his mere presence makes other kids think twice about swinging, but still... I can't believe the number of times we have seen video on the news where children have stood back and do nothing while they watched one or two other children pommel a kid. That is just so wrong. And then for the kids to videotape it, to boot! What is wrong with this picture, people?! You're right - it's absolutely absurd. If my kid were in public school and anything happened to him because he was afraid to defend himself as a result of rules like that, there'd be a lawsuit that would go down in history. If that rule is true, shame on them! Shame! Shame! Shame!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  05:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and as an aside... My nephew was seriously bullied in school. Despite my sister's many attempts with the principal and school board, nobody would take responsibility for his protection in school - not even teachers who were monitoring the halls between classes. It is still unclear as to why the other kids got away with this (no more than an occasional tongue-lashing was administered), but the school would simply not step in. As a matter of fact, they allowed bullying to continue to the point that another young boy in the school district was hospitalized with serious injuries. That traumatized our nephew even more. The poor kid went through sheer hell. My sister was not in a position to pack up and move, and as head of household and sole provider for her family living halfway across the country from the rest of our family, she did not have the "luxury" of leaving her job to homeschool him. Thankfully it "only" lasted a couple of years. Therapy helped him to deal with the situation, and he has managed to adjust quite well for the most part, but the stigma of being a victim has never left him. The whole situation was absolutely infuriating and disheartening. No kid should ever go through that, and no parent should ever have to worry about what might happen to their kids when they entrust them to the school. There is something seriously askew in the system and yet nobody will do anything to change it. As I said: infuriating. Absolutely infuriating.

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 29 2013 05:56:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  05:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, that sounds like women who are being stalked and can't get any help til their stalker actually attacks them. By then, ain't it just a bit too late? Some rules and laws are just plain stupid. And it's good that you're checking this out just to make sure.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  12:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think the logical question is why should anyone wait to be hit more than once? A teacher or monitor should become involved immediately once the first punch is thrown.

What a ridiculous rule if it is truly one.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Even back when I was in school (ehhh 16 years ago I graduated high school) if you hit back, you would also be suspended. Defending yourself was not an option. I had a friend that was hospitalized by another girl because she (my friend) did not want to be suspended and therefore did not fight back... I remember praying I would never get in a fight at school... had I gotten suspended, my dad would have kicked my butt. If I hadn't defended myself, he would have kicked my butt for that too!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Bully rules at school Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page