Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Stopping Thumb Sucking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Stopping Thumb Sucking Next Topic  

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  11:35:06 AM  Show Profile
I was round at my daughters earlier and she had just come back from the dentist with my 3 1/2 year old Grandson.

He started sucking his thumb when he was 2 on the day after they moved house - so it was obvious the move had slightly unsettled him. We all knew the possible problems it may cause him when he got older but felt he would out grow it.

However the dentist said today that he has 12 months to break the habit before it causes permanent skeletal damage. We are not really sure how to do this - all the books and ideas I can find seem to apply to older (6+) children. At 3 1/2 he is not going to really understand about the damage to his teeth - nor is he bothered what other children think.

He normally only sucks it when he is in bed or the car seat and we do not really want to 'force' him to stop - rather encourage him to stop himself.

I am wondering if we have an over enthusiastic dentist or is it really such a problem at this age. None of my children ever sucked their thumbs so its not something I have had to address before.

Have anyone any tips on how to do this. The dentists idea was to give him a pacifer - get him addicted to that instead and then throw it away!!! I really do not think a 3 year old is going to accept a lump of plastic in his mouth after a nice squishy thumb!!

Any ideas and thoughts would be welcome

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  11:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Sue, my sister in law had to have major braces because she sucked her thumb until she was 8!!!! My inlaws had a very terrible divorce and she internalized everything and that was her coping method. But yes, the orthadontia costs thousands and thousands of dollars. However....

I think "shaming" him or giving him something to supplement the thumb would be worse. 12 months is a long time to try to disuade him from his thumb, and honestly, I have a feeling he'll give it up once he feels more secure. How about giving it a trial and if, in 3 or 4 months, he hasn't stopped, then look into another coping mechanism, like a lovey or something of that nature.

Obviously, I think he needs comfort right now, and having a 3 1/2 year old myself, I know how important routine is to them--my little one can't sleep anywhere but her own cot and if things are out of whack, she really has trouble feeling safe.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile
there is a product out called bitter apple, it is aplied to thumb/fingers to stop nail biting and thumb sucking...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  4:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Sue -

I was a thumbsucker, and I distinctly remember that my parents tried relentlessly to get me to stop. Nothing worked. One day, my dad and I were in the car and I was starting to doze off, thumb in mouth. He started to ask me about all the things I had done and touched all day - the dog, playing in the dirt, bringing him his ashtray (shudder - that alone makes me so grossed out to this day that I want to puke!) and other stuff like that. Then he asked if I scrubbed my hands super clean after each thing I touched. Of course, I had not. He told me to look at my fingernails. Now, I was always a hand-washer from the time I was little, but after playing outside all day, my nails were looking pretty yucky. Then he said, "Do you realize that aaaall that yucky stuff is all over that thumb of yours and caked under your nails, and you're putting all of that swirly, slimey filth and all those creepy crawly germs in your mouth every time you suck that thumb?" Honest to Pete - that did it for me. Never even CONSIDERED sucking my thumb again. And even if your grandson will outsmart his mom with a "but I washed my hands!", she can always point out that you never really get your nails clean until you brush them underneath. And, worst case scenario, I'm sure there are a lot of images that will attest to that fact out there in cyberspace. It's worth a shot - cuz man oh man is thumbsucking so gross when you really think about it!

Good luck!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  11:56:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your comments - we are in the UK so we wouldn't have to pay for any orthadentistry that may be needed in the future so I guess we don't have that incentive to push us to address this - not neccesarily a good thing I might add!!!

I think my gut instinct is to give it a bit more time before worrying about this. He isn't sucking his thumb all the time so its not affecting his speech and then trying the star chart/reward approach first. They have moved house again, he has started pre-school and his Mum has gone back to work all in the last month so its probably not the right time to address it. We will probably give it until the Spring and if its still an issue try something more pro-active then.

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Sue your dentist is not being over enthusiastic. I worked for an orthodontist and saw too often the damage done from thumb sucking and it can be extensive. Many kids need braces regardless but the thumbing sucking can deform the shape of the upper palate and cause major problems. Best to try to stop is as soon as you can.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile
My brother sucked on two fingers, and I was a thumb sucker. My parents used a non-toxic bitter tasting liquid from the drugstore on our fingies to break the habit. We both had to have orthodontal work done as teens to correct issues caused by the finger sucking which was tolerated in our family until the summer before Kindergarten. I recommend that you take the dentist's advice and curb the habit now. Good luck....it will be hard for him to get used to.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  06:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh man.. I need help with this too. I have an 8... almost 9 year old, who has sucked his two middle fingers since he was in the womb! (seriously, he's got his hand to his mouth in the Ultrasound pic!) He sucks his fingers to fall asleep, but he'll also suck them if he's on the couch watching tv. He doesn't really realize he's doing it, it's such an engrained habit.

I guess I'll have to try the bitter apple - I've used it for dogs, and it didn't work, so I was discouraged from using it with my son. I have a feeling he'll whine and complain so much that he'll eventually go wash it off in his bathroom.

We've tried SO many other things. Gross hygene stories like Nini's (in one ear and out the other), gloves (pulls them off), tape (takes it off), clear nail polish (sucks them anyway), rewards, reminders, cautions ($$$$ for braces that hurt!!!) etc. I too, was a thumb sucker (at night) until I was 8. One night I just decided I wasn't going to do it anymore, and didn't. LUCKILY I never needed braces. I'm not sure my son will be so lucky. He's lost his two front teeth, and they ARE growing in.... kinda straight... but it's early to tell.

He'd like to quit, as he IS embarrased by it, but I've never seen a person with such a strong habit! He panics if he can't suck his fingers at night to get to sleep. I mean, REALLY carries on with tears and frustration about not being able to get to sleep. During weekdays, I have to wake him up at 6:45 so they can get to daycare/school. We've tried it in the summer when it doesn't matter if he gets enough sleep for school, but that doesn't convince him. So, now we've got TWO problems... finger sucking AND paranoid insomniac! ;)

Yeah, I'll take your suggestions.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  06:33:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any good advice. I sucked two fingers well into 1st grade. My mom finally put Tabasco on my fingers. Funny thing is......today I love Tabasco...so much that my kitchen is decorated with Tabasco items from the mill in Louisiana.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

LindyDore
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lindy
Yakima WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile
My 4 year old daughter too was a 2 middle finger sucker and we were told by the dentist that we needed to get her to stop to avoid permenant damage. We tried the bitter nail polish and she did not care about the nasty taste (Yuck! I tried it and it is horrible!!). So I had to be creative. I got three long sleeved shirts and stiched on gloves to the hand that she sucked and had her wear them for about 2 weeks straight. Along with the consistency of wearing the glove and a lot of positive renforcement we are now a non finger sucking household!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Sounds to me like the Dentist wants a new car. LOL

I was a thumb sucker and I am ok. My daughter did it on and off for about two years.

This child sounds like he just needs some TLC. Lots of extra hugs and kisses.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile
My third daughter sucked her two middle fingers but when she started kindergarten she quit by herself. Maybe she was embarrassed--I don't know. But the dentist never mentioned that she should stop. Her teeth are fine. Everyone is different. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  06:50:35 AM  Show Profile
I had a problem with biting nails with my DD, I would get some no bite fingernail polish, it fixed our problem in two days. The minute it goes in the mouth it tastes awful.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  3:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Sue, my sister had a problem with sucking her fingers up until she was about that age - my parents had tried the nail polish and bitter polish but it didn't seem to deter her. As I recall, what ended up working was a reward - not only for her, but for me, too! - if she would not suck her fingers for a week. Since she and I were the only kids in the neighborhood, we were playmates pretty much all day, and so I was like Mom's "monitor" and would also remind her to keep her hands out of her mouth so we could have the toys! Mom put them on top of the fridge where she knew we could not climb up and get the toy early :) They were just little toys - not too expensive. I forget how long it took, but this "reward" approach finally worked!

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  08:50:58 AM  Show Profile
Still sucking his fingers. Tape on them worked, but any day I forget he goes off the wagon again. I've been so busy that I often forget to tape his fingers, and he, of course, never reminds me. Faults all around. He has s dentist appointment mid May. I talked with them on the phone and they said, "Yeah, we have things that can help with that." Oh boy. Should be interesting. He just turned 9.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the comments - its clear this is a problem for so many people!!

Well - my Grandson went for his next 6 month checkup and he saw a different dentist who basically said it would be better if he would stop sucking his thumb but it was nothing to worry about for a couple more years - even now he is still only 3!!

I am glad we followed our gut feeling and not the advice of the Dentist and did not actively tackle it. He does still suck his thumb but no longer in public, just when he goes to bed and as he falls asleep within a few minutes this is not for very long. His pre-school did not even realise he did suck his thumb.

He will be starting school in September and is becoming more conscious of baby/big boy behaviour so we are going to find something 'big boy' that he really wants but can't have until he stops 'baby' sucking his thumb!! But not quite figured out how we are going to monitor this all night!!!

Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  11:39:33 AM  Show Profile
I had subscribed to this post long ago and was just doing a little weeding. Before I unsubscribe to this one, I'll bring it back with a quick follow up.

My son is now 9. Because he could not stop sucking his two middle fingers, he had a "Habit Breaking Device" installed in his mouth this past June. We did this because the dentist referred us to an orthodontist. His front teeth were pushed out and splayed. Now, grant it, this was not entirely caused by his finger sucking, but it signficantly contributed to it. We have Ultrasound pics of him with his hand to his mouth. He's sucked his fingers since the day he was born.

This habit was something that he simply could not control. Often times, while watching TV, he'd have his fingers in his mouth and not even realize it.

SO - after a couple of orthodontist consultations, this fixed device was put in his mouth. It reminds me of a tiny potato masher that sits right behind his front teeth and is attached to two teeth in the back. Yes, it was uncomfortable for him. Yes, it made him talk funny. Yes, it was painful. Then a week went by and the pain lessoned, the speech improved, and the finger sucking - has entirely stopped.

Though he'll still need some minor orthodontic work, he'll probably have the appliance removed next month. We are hoping the habit will remain BROKEN.

We do not have an Orthodontic plan in our dental insurance, but I'm still in the "fight" to have the $300 appliance covered because it is a PREVENTATIVE device, and some plans (possibly mine) do cover that. As far as the braces... well... they at least have a payment plan.

So my point? On one hand, I think that finger sucking might be slightly "better" than the use of a pacifier, but it has been a long, difficult, costly, and painful habit to break. You can remove pacifiers a lot easier than fingers, I'm afraid.

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Stopping Thumb Sucking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page