Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Early Hair loss/thinning?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Early Hair loss/thinning? Next Topic  

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  07:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls, I'm hoping I can get some natural advice about this!

The past year I've slowly noticed my husband's hair thinning on the top of his head. No one that we know of has male baldness so this is new in his family.

He isn't bald yet but if he keeps losing hair, it will only be a matter of a few years. I've been doing research online to no avail. Everything I have found is chemical and he would have to go to a hair place for.

There MUST be something natural for him to stop or at least post pone going bald. He's only 25 and kind of stressed out about it- especially since it doesn't run on either side of his family!

One of the things we have both discussed is maybe the chemicals he is exposed to as an auto/diesel mechanic is causing this hair thinning/loss. If he rubs his head it sheds pretty badly.

Any tips, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  10:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Krystle,
Well, it could just be a recessive gene. But hair loss could be a symptom of other disorders, especially since he is exposed to so many solvents. It couldn't hurt to have a blood panel run to rule out any problems. Perhaps it is a side effect of some toxicity. I know your husband is young and the psychology of having hair is a big deal, but I am amazed at watching the weather channel how many of the young men have chosen to sport shaved heads giving a simple, clean and "modern" look. Over time, he may just have to cut his hair and honor the bald area. Truly I have known many young balding men, and it is not their hair loss I remember but their personality and kindness. It does take time and an adjustment to accept for many people. (I have had women friends who lost their hair too). Our external self is concerning to us, but we need to focus more on our internal being and just being healthy more. Remember, "take what is good" and let the rest go. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  2:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Coule be that his thyroid level is low as that is one of the side effects. Also seems that men that wear ball caps often have hair that thins early
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile
You know that you look at his mother's brother to see if balding runs in the family ... ? Not his dad or grandfather from his dad's side. It's momma's side that deals the hair card!
Marianne

Remind him how handsome Bruce Willis, and all those other Hollywood types look with their shiny noggins!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  04:58:51 AM  Show Profile
Krystle - first of all, as a wife of a balding man, I have to say I LOVE bald men! Bald is beautiful, baby! Embrace the shine! LOL! But in all seriousness, there is something that immediately came to mind as I read your post. If your husband does not dry his hair after washing, there is a possibility that he has a type of fungal infection that is causing the hair loss. This happens a lot - especially if he goes to bed with wet hair or tosses a ball cap on his head while his hair is wet. Actually I remember growing up boys were always told not to wear their ball caps all the time because it would retard hair growth (don't know whether that's an old wives' tale or not, but it sure did seem to be true!). Also, sometime shampoos and hair color can cause hair loss. Diet can affect your hair, too. It's important to ensure he has received a well-balanced diet with all the necessary vitamins and minerals he needs. I don't know if this will help or not, but my mother swears that plain gelatin strengthens hair and nails and keeps hair shiny and full. Ultimately, it's probably a good idea for him to see his doctor so they can rule out any type of health issue that might be causing this.

I know how disappointed he must be that this is happening, but don't let him become discouraged. It's only hair... and in some cultures baldness signifies great virility and is highly celebrated. No matter what, he has to remember, hair doesn't define a person - what's inside does. He must be made of the good stuff, because you love him; and that's all that truly matters!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  1:46:31 PM  Show Profile
I know you said you are looking for something natural, but.....

If minoxidil is ever an option it needs to be an option EARLY. It will slow hair loss but it will not regret hair once it is gone. So the longer you wait to use it, the less effective it will be.

A trip to the doctor to have things other than genetics ruled out is always a good idea, and I know with busy schedules that can be easier said than done.

For me it was stress stress stress that was causing an alarming amount of hair in the brush and less on my head. Thank goodness I have enough hair for two, so even with thinning hair I still have enough left over!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Early Hair loss/thinning? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page