wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile

Does anyone know where to get an electric pressure cooker that can also be used for canning...

I have one but it is not for canning. Those things are the bomb. So handy and safe.

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  3:31:36 PM  Show Profile
I've never had an electric pressure canner, I would call my local extension office and see if they would reccomend one...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  6:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I didn't know they had them. I have the other kind and I never used it because I'm afraid t. Crazy right?

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile

Darlene,

No...it's not crazy to me! They can be dangerous!!!I remember when I was a child my mom and granny would say...don't go near that pressure canner...it could blow up on you!!! Its' funny now...but I have never used one own my own as I have always been terrified of them. Maybe I shouldn't be...but the electric pressure cookers are the bomb...I have one and love it. We canned unknown numbers of jars of green beans when I was younger...so many wonderful memories of growing up...

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  8:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Judy'
I just lost my post! Here it goes again! I talked to a lady that sells a lot of canned goods at farmer's markets and she said that our state will only license her for water bath canning. They don't approve of the electric canning or pressure canning. Something to do with bacteria counts. I guess every state has their own laws though. I guess I'll keep water bathing!

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  09:07:30 AM  Show Profile

Darlene,

I never heard of that. Most folk around here do the pressure canning. I know my mom and granny canned in a pressure canner for as long back as I can remember...and that is quite some time:):):) One would think that pressure canning would kill all the bacteria...but maybe I have something else to learn. Thanks for posting this...

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

teacups
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

terri
bryans road maryland
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of an electric pressure cooker. That is something that would really come in handy. You can only fit so many of the other pressure cookers on the stove at one time. I use my grandmothers pressure cooker. It was scary at 1st. Mainly because my grandmother had a different one that did blow up when I was a baby. I heard that story so many times growing up, so when I started canning I was scared to use it. It really is quite simple though. You just have to watch it and adjust the heat to make sure that the pressure doesn't go to high. How does the electric one work? I would love to know where to get one.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile

Terri,

Sending you an email.

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  5:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Judy,
I know people that have used pressure cookers also. This lady had jams, jellies, pickles, sauces and veggies and all had to be water bathed. Crazy right? Oh well I remember when all we did with jams was seal them with wax! I'm still here! I would use an electric pressure canner if I could find one. Still scared of my regular pressure canner.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

teacups
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

terri
bryans road maryland
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  11:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. :)
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Darlene, that is very interesting! I wish we knew what the particulars were for them banning pressure canning.

I would try freecyle-see if someone else has one sitting not being used-maybe it was passed down (or over) or they got one as a gift.

C

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile
That has to be backwards; they probably banned water bath. The pressure canning eliminates the bacteria with the high temps & pressure, water bath does not in many foods.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  12:01:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Lisa on that it has to be backwards. Especially if you have any sort of elevation. You just can't get the temps high enough with a water bath at high elevation. Water boils at a lower temp at the high elevations. Growing up boiling potatoes took forever (an hour-ish) at 6200 feet. Certainly made you plan and I don't remember anyone water bathing at those elevations. Maybe they did but I never saw/heard them. The pressure canners get the product to a much higher more consistent temperature.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

http://lazymomgardener.wordpress.com/

http://littlehawkyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  2:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Lisa and Katrina~
I was going to bring the same thing up. I have never heard of not using a pressure canner. There are foods that are low acid that it is just not safe to do in water bath canning. What about meats and all? I have the regular pressure canner and I don't use it often at all. Would love to learn more about the electric ones.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3102 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile
I would venture a guess that she is not allowed to sell anything that has to be pressure canned in case it was done incorrectly. Just as some places you can not buy baked goods or raw milk products.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  09:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Katrina and Lisa-very interesting points.

I feel you about the elevation-forget the fact that it takes forever to boil, my creme puffs aren't fit for the dogs to eat since moving to CO-they only play with them :/

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Cooker Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page