Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anemia?--update Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  3:49:44 PM  Show Profile
I tried to give blood today and when they poked my finger, they said my hemoglobin count was only 10.9. It has to be at least 12.5 to donate blood. So I'm wondering if I'm anemic? I've been feeling tired a lot the past few months and that could be why. Guess I need to start taking an iron supplement.
Cindy

I found out my iron levels are OK, but I'm low in ferratin(?). The dr. thinks I may be bleeding internally (almost unnoticeable) so more tests are in order. I took a medicine last summer that really messed up my digestive system, so I'm wondering if maybe that is the culprit. I'm just tired of feeling run-down all the time. I make plans to do things on my days off and then I'm too tired to follow through. Hope they get to the bottom of this.
Cindy
"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Edited by - prariehawk on Aug 02 2013 6:49:43 PM

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  08:26:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy,

Hope your doctor gets to the bottom of it soon. I know it is awful to know that something's wrong, but not knowing exactly what it is, or what to do about it. And then some people act like it is a character fault if you are tired, because it's not exactly a problem that they can see, like broken arm would be. Hugs!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  2:52:29 PM  Show Profile

Cindy,

I too hope they find out what is going on. There is nothing more debilitating than being tired and fatigued. Seems it takes the enjoyment out of everything. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how your tests turn out.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  11:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Do you feel more comfortable with prescriptions or more homemade/homeopathic kinds of remedies?
I'm not all that knowledgeable about ferratin, but after so many pregnancies and such I have a few tricks up my sleeve (got my hemoglobin from 8.4 to 12.4-13 within a few weeks while finishing growing a 9lb human). I don't do prescription stuff, it messes with my innards something fierce. :(

Yes, iron deficiency can make you feel tired and run down a ton. I had to start doing stuff for my iron levels earlier and earlier with each subsequent pregnancy - once you feel it, you *know* and once you know the drill, it's pretty easy to fix [unless there's some other underlying cause like thalassemia or major B12 deficiency].

So. Things like Floridax, friends and local midwives *swear* by Blood Builder - both of which can be found on Amazon and are worth every penny (the Floridax will turn your urine a little bright, but that's normal). They work super fast - I was feeling better within a week with the Floridax. In addition to eating more leafy (think spinach) greens, dehydrated apricots, beef, cooking in cast iron, and so on. I ordered a ton of Tomato Beef with extra beef, sucked down Floridax like it was going out of style, had a ton of spinach salads, and boom, I had a high enough hemoglobin level to have my homebirth with my last kiddo (too low and you can risk out to the hospital).

Another thing that can also make you feel run down is thyroid or adrenal issues. I've been working on those myself - they've taken a huge hit in the last decade, so I'm slowly healing up.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed

Edited by - Lanna on Sep 08 2013 11:10:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anemia?--update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page