Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How do you organize your pantry/food storage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How do you organize your pantry/food storage? Next Topic  

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  12:24:44 AM  Show Profile
I've been searching all kinds of wacky places online for ideas of how to better organize my, uh, collections of food throughout the house. But most of what I can find is a cute little closet or a one-wall deal where it takes them maybe an hour or two or something to reorganize everything. Those are nice, and very very cute, but not, ahem, close to the quantity that I'm working with (a year's worth of peaches for a family of 6 takes up some real estate! as do the wheat berries and wheat grinder and dehydrators...).

So, since most of you may be in a similar boat as me, how do you organize everything? Photos would be fabulous if you've got 'em to share, I'm a visual person.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Lanna - I have no special system, just large shelves in a spare room. The only "special" thing I do is try to keep similar foods together, and whenever I add new, I move the old to the front. I also try to keep a list of what I use so that I can replenish it as soon as possible. I love having pantry/storage area! Í really REALLY love the convenience - especially in inclement weather! Hopefully the girls will have some great suggestions for BOTH of us!

Today as I was lifting a heavy-laden basket in my chest freezer, I was wondering how people organize their freezers, too! I keep a list of what I have and where, but it still has no real rhyme or reason... And I really hate the baskets. They're so heavy and I always manage to scrape my hands on them. :( There just has to be a better way!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  3:58:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ninibini
Today as I was lifting a heavy-laden basket in my chest freezer, I was wondering how people organize their freezers, too! I keep a list of what I have and where, but it still has no real rhyme or reason... And I really hate the baskets. They're so heavy and I always manage to scrape my hands on them. :( There just has to be a better way!

I've seen folks use those inexpensive cloth grocery bags (like from Fred Meyer or Kroger or Walmart or whatever) to group like items in and stack in a chest freezer. For my upright freezers, I use Sterilite bins. Here's the fridge/freezer, but my other upright freezer looks similar - same wipe-down bins with like items in 'em.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  4:51:46 PM  Show Profile
since I raise all of our meat, plus butcher myself, I have 2 freezers just for beef, 1 just for pork, 2 for poultry, and 1 for rabbit, fish and overflow from the others...I only have upright freezers, can't stand chest freezers, everything gets buried, also none of my freezers are frost-free, the meat keeps much better and longer when it is not froze/thawed constantly, plus I have outside frigs as well for milk, juices, and butter etc, then I have a frig just for eggs, then there is a frig and an up-right freezer in my house for day to day meals...I keep all my canned fruit and vegtables, grains in my pantry (which is a well insulated semi-trailer, that used to haul to a big name grocery store, and they replace them every so many years and you can pick them up pretty cheap), also I have an up-right freezer in the trailer (we have electrical to it) for my flours for breads etc...I rotate my stock as needed, everything is labeled and dated...I vacum seal all of my meats, cheeses, etc, that too helps extend the life of the food...plus in that trailer is all of our emergency supplys in case of a natural disaster etc, it locks and is rodent proof...I should also add that each freezer has a running list on the door ( a dry erase board) which makes it much easier to know exactly what I have left from year to year...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  8:13:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a room off my kitchen that was built purposely for use as a pantry. It houses two small chest freezers and all our food. We keep dishes and pots and pans in the kitchen. I have shelves that go from one end to the other and from floor to ceiling. I also have shelves on one end but only on top. Under those I store my vacuum, broom mop etc. There are shelves on the opposite long wall above one of the freezers and I also have a free standing set of shelves. Believe it or not I still have things sitting around. I have to go in and re organize every so often as it gets a bit cluttered up in there but for the most part everyone keeps it straightened up.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  02:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Very nice organization, there, Lanna! I love the bins! :) I really like the idea of the bags, only my chest freezer is pretty small and we use every inch of space available in both my freezer in my fridge/freezer.

You are so right about the chest freezers, Tina... That's why I have to keep a list and mark the packages well! :) I love the dry erase board idea on the door! What a great idea!

I'd love to see a picture of your pantry, Denise - that sounds awesome! :)

Happy day, girls!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  3:11:16 PM  Show Profile
We organize our two upright freezers with cardboard boxes. Everything in the cardboard boxes seems to last longer.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  10:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I will look on my computer for a picture of my pantry. I'll post it as soon as I can find it.

Michele,
cardboard boxes are great to keep frozen things in for some reason it keeps longer.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Tina! Your set-up sounds just perfect! Do you ever have to go to the grocery store?

C

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  06:57:02 AM  Show Profile
I've noticed a lot of people seem to have upright freezers. Are these "better" than chest freezers? Are there better purposes for each? We generally buy a whole jersey grass-fed cow once a year and some chickens in bulk, but I also like to prepare freezer meals and have them on hand for days that we have appointments or field trips, as well as freezing fruits and veggies in bulk. Suggestions? Right now we have two chest freezers. I know I cannot add another freezer right now due to space, but we are dreaming of our future home (Hubby retires from the military in less than 4 years!), and I'm wondering if we should invest in an upright freezer at that point as well. I know I most definitely want a pantry, which this house does not have, so we have turned our front coat closet as our pantry.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile
coccocolorado, not very often, and its only for items in bulk, spices,flours, rices, etc, and of course sundries and paper products, soaps etc...

Shannon, upright freezers take up alot less room, stuff does not get buried in the bottom, and I only use non-frostfree... frostfree cycles, meaning temp goes up, and then down to keep it frostfree, which means your food has a much shorter freezer life, and it also causes freezer burn

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:48:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hudsonsinaf

I've noticed a lot of people seem to have upright freezers. Are these "better" than chest freezers? Are there better purposes for each?

Yes and no. For short armed folks like me, chest freezers are practically the kiss of death. I'm *much* better at finding/using things in the upright than spending 10 minutes unloading and digging through the chest freezer. Even with tubs, it still takes time to find what you want (at least for me, everything's so varied in my freezers).

When opened, chest freezers also let out less cold air, which from a utility cost perspective, might make a difference. But I have a tendency to only aim to get into the [storage] freezers every few days, not multiple times a day like the poor kitchen fridge/freezer. Things get less buried in bins in the upright freezer when I can just yank stuff out all drawer-like, or even send the kids after stuff (grab a sausage chub from the bin on the bottom shelf). Yes, I have my kids do all kinds of things, including going and getting items from the freezers/fridges for meals - ease of use is big around here if I want them to do it, too.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3102 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  5:04:49 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had room to be organized like you girls. Unfortunately I do not have a basement or pantry, and we're hoping to move soon so we're not making any changes to this house. My canned goods are limited (I'm a canning newbie) but they tend to get tucked in where ever I can find room for them. And I dig through my freezer on a regular basis trying to find a roast or certain steaks. I can not wait to move and get a pantry organized like some of you. I would love to have a years supply of food on hand from my own garden!
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  5:13:59 PM  Show Profile
I use my kitchen drawers! Pint mason jars laid on their sides and spice jars fit perfectly, plus it's easy to find what you're looking for. All my baking supplies go in an upright cupboard (right next to the plates and bowls) and I try to keep most things like flour, dried fruits, and nuts in clear glass jars. I also have a very skinny, very tall wire shelving unit (we got ours at Lowe's) tucked into a corner near the back door that houses dried beans and whole grains in glass on the top, oils, vinegars, and other such things on the second shelf, bread, chips, and cereal in a "drawer," and some of my bulkier appliances on the bottom two shelves. It needs some rearranging and it does collect dust, but it works pretty well. That and another cupboard with pull-out drawers for all my canned stuff and pasta are my "pantry."

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  6:14:11 PM  Show Profile
I love that everyone is so creative with their spaces for storage. Really makes us use our brains doesn't it. I am sure that is good for us. ;)

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How do you organize your pantry/food storage? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page