Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  11:19:29 AM  Show Profile
I feel a bit like Dilios in the movie "The 300" this morning. I am at a disadvantage and cannot see very well. Another eye injection gone not-so-wonderfully and I'm looking through a gray jelly-like haze in one very tufted-looking puffy left eye. As the battle for my garden unfolds, I stand in frustration and today must now recount the tale from the sidelines. What I AM able to see clear as day through my right eagle eye is that somehow between yesterday afternoon and this morning, many of my squash leaves that were flourishing and green and just the picture of beauty are now papery brown and some of my vines and squash are suddenly shriveling away, almost melting.

SQUASH VINE BORERS!

I should've known. There was no hope in attrition. Such naivete on my part. The enemy is resilient. They were just waiting to make their move; just waiting for me to show the slightest sign of weakness; just waiting to gain a foothold; just waiting for a break in my line of defense to carry out their battle plan of annihilation. They got me. They got me good.

The signs were there. Yesterday afternoon I noticed some of the leaves were suddenly looking funny; paling; kind of yellow; slightly papery brown... but after crushing two entire battalions of silvery baby squash bugs in one fell swoop, as well as foiling the enemy's covert ops (eggs on the leaves), I honestly thought my strikes had somewhat leveled the battlefield. Theirs was a feint attack; and I was so distracted by my own denial strategy that I was utterly blindsided their deceptive assault.

Cocky. I was cocky, girls. A victim of hubris. And we all know "pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." - Proverbs 16:18.

I hang my head in woe and shame...

At first glance, it does seem that I am losing the battle, girls. It does. I am a bit disheartened and wounded, but I am resolute and combat-ready.

This isn't over yet...

I'm rolling up my farmgirl Rosie sleeves...

As the life of my plants weigh in the balance, I'm calling in the big gun. If my plants must go down, so be it; but the enemy is going down with them. It's Them Vs. Me, the tables are tipped in their favor, but I'm not about to give up the fight. It's not over til this fat lady sings and I have yet to begin humming...

Reinforcement is on the way...

And this...

is Total...

WAR!

As soon as the bees are finished busily buzzing from beautiful flower to flower, my heroic hubby is going to don HIS gardening gear-of-war and we're switching to offensive combat persisting mode. He is going to trace every single vine in the garden and, deftly wielding his sewing needle (yes, you read that right: his) like an M9 Bayonet, he's going to eradicate all squash vine borers he can find. Shock and awe, baby. Shock and awe.

In the famous words of mighty Spartan King Leonidas: "This is where we fight! This is where they die!""

HA-OOH!!!

Say a prayer girls... He's going in...

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 21 2013 11:52:49 AM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile
We can't figure it out... No borers... No frass... No nothing... Yet yellow vine decline... I don't get it. Any ideas? Could this just be squash bugs we're dealing with? Is this the result of bacteria from their sucking on the plants? Ugh... What else to do??? I've done pretty much everything under the sun that I've read about and that you all have shared here in the posts... I really, REALLY do not want to pull everything up again this year. I know a lot of us are going through this... Just SO frustrating. I don't think it's helping that my neighbor is using harsh chemicals in her garden, either. The bugs are probably all coming right over to my yard because my stuff is tastier. Dangitty dang. Dang. Dang. Dang. <sigh> On a happier note, I did notice that she did start employing some of my techniques in her garden this year... She inter-planted basil, thyme and a few flowers, and she IS starting to use some of my compost and mulching techniques. But until she goes organic and we're sympatico with our pest control efforts, this is just not going to bode well for my garden. <sigh> I'm not blaming her, I just wish she'd get talk with me so we could work together. That's not going to happen, though. <sigh> Maybe next year I'll just grow broccoli.

Well, at least it's cooler out today, and the sun is shining. :) A perfect day for a hike in the woods. I think I'm going to pack up the boys and head out for the Indian trails and enjoy the fresh air... See?! There's always a bright side! :)

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 21 2013 11:41:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! This was great! First and foremost, definitely praying for your eye injections and for healing! The wording you used to express your dilemma is fabulous! Definitely cheering you and your hubby on as you fight the enemy - the squash borers!
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  3:09:21 PM  Show Profile
OK - to start off with, I am very sorry about your eye problem and your garden problem and I hope both are resolved quickly.

Now with that out of the way, I cannot remember when I was more entertained while reading something. You painted quite a picture, and did so beautifully!

Any working hypothesis about the plant problem since your last posting? Or since I know you're from the Pottsburgh area, do yuins know what's going on with the plants?

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  3:59:19 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I'm so glad I was able to make you girls giggle! Thanks for your prayers and well wishes, truly. :) You know, Cindy, the first time I heard my mother-in-law use the term "Yunz" we were in the kitchen cooking and I thought it was a slang term for onions! LOL! Too funny.

Well... I went out there and squinted for a while... I found that there are some really odd tiny looking beetles on some of the vines and congregating at the base of the plants (I killed what I could find). They look like shiny black dots - about the size of those candies stuck to strips of paper that we used to get at the movie theater - and they fly. I have NO idea what those are, but they're similar to super-sized flea beetles... Any ideas? Then I found an oval black beetle that had two red stripes on its back going from side to side - haven't ever seen that before, either. Then I also squashed a couple of actual militant-looking squash bugs and found their eggs on - if you can believe this - my BEAN plant leaves!!! I've never had that happen before! SO... I went to the compost pile and poured a whole bunch of well-rotted homemade compost (which contains coffee grounds) on the base of each plant in order to give them extra nourishment, tore off some of the yellowing leaves, and then headed to the computer and ordered some food grade diatomaceous earth - pronto. We also took a trip to Lowes just to see if they had any diatomaceous earth on the shelves, because waiting for the stuff I ordered is going to be like torture. They did in fact have a chemical compound that had the diatomaceous earth in it, but since it was chemicals, I really wasn't comfortable using it in the garden (trying to stay organic). I want the bad bugs to die, not the good ones. Last year I used pyrethrum and it killed everything - I'm afraid even the bees! I would also really like to keep the veggies healthy with organic measures. Right now, we've got a whole lot of thunder out there, the clouds are heavy, gray and low, and the rain is coming in light waves of pitter patter. I'm praying we get another really good rain (it's been like that for days now, and everything is just so healthy looking, except for the squash plants as of yesterday afternoon, of course). I know it's silly, but I feel like the plants would be happier, as if the rain will wash away their problems. The poor things. Just being silly I guess. ;) Anyhow, for now I've just got to continue to keep vigilant, try to figure out what these new nasties are, and then count the minutes until our FedEx man comes ringing the doorbell. And then, of course, I will need a few dry days to let the diatomaceous earth do its work (it will only melt in the rain). So... until then, I'll be praying, and, I'm shamed to admit, probably biting my nails. So frustrating. Everything was so beautiful and I had so many beautiful blooms and squashes on the vines. Not so much now. I knew I was being too trusting. After last summer's squash bug war, I just should've known better. :)

If you have any ideas, please do share!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  4:42:22 PM  Show Profile
I have also enjoyed your posts very much and will keep you in prayer as well. I have something eating my eggplant and can't figure it out. Not finding anything but know something is there! Hang in there....I resorted to Seven Dust but not by choice, hubby took over and did it.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh man, Michelle. That's awful. I have no idea what attacks eggplant, other than flea beetles. What kind of damage are you experiencing? I would cry!

I was just saying to a good friend yesterday that if - IF - the diatomaceous earth doesn't work, I just might cave and resort to some non-organic solution. I hate like heck to lose everything I've worked so hard to produce. My main thought is, however, that if I am using chemicals to produce my own food, at least I have control and know what is going on and into our food and soil. If I buy it at the grocery store, I won't have a clue as to what I am actually getting, you know? And I've been doing a lot of reading lately on what "organic" in the grocery store really means - not liking that so much, either. I might as well do it myself and have peace of mind. I am going to wait and see what happens, but right now, that's where my thoughts stand. And, of course, good friends of ours are farmers. They're not organic, but they are local and fresh, so that will always be a preferred option to the grocer. I just don't want to quite give up on my garden yet. 'Keeping my fingers crossed that the diatomaceous earth works, that's for sure!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile
I can't get small quantities of diatomaceous earth where I live. I was not happy when I saw all my plants covered with the white dust but your right Nini, at least I know what was put on the plants and when. I hope you are feeling better.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  07:56:19 AM  Show Profile
I am rolling on the foor laughing Nini. I enjoyed reading your post but sorry for your squash. I too am having the same thing but its not the borers this time. I think its from the squash bugs when they suck on the plant it gives them a virus of sorts.With all the rain again and stuff mine have went down the drain too. Its depressing but I think its over for my squash. We tried our best and thats all we can do.
Hope your eye starts to feeling better. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile
The more pesticides that are used, the more tolerant the bugs become...survival of the fittest creates superbugs that aren't phased by anything less than the hottest fire, it seems. The odd thing is that the good pollinators seem to still be suffering. I wonder why they are not getting stronger like the "bad bugs".

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Aww... I'm sorry, Linda! I know how frustrating that is! I actually did find two borers in one of the vines today. I think it's too late for those particular vines, though. I hate the little suckers. Simply hate them. It's so perfectly okay that you had a good laugh. Actually I did, too. Grandpa always said that "laughter is the best medicine." He is so right - especially in times like this! Hang in there!!!

You are so right, Paula. I hate the idea of having to do it, believe me. It's funny because the other morning I smelled bug spray - some sort of Raid product or something. I think my neighbor sprayed her garden. That means they'll all be relocating to mine. I could cry. Thankfully, the diatomaceous earth arrived this afternoon, so I'm going to read up on how to apply it tonight and pray pray pray that it works after I use it tomorrow. We'll see! Please say a little prayer it works!!!

Michelle - have you used diatomaceous earth? If so - is there anything special you think I should do or need to know? Thank you!!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  08:38:11 AM  Show Profile
All I know of diatomaceous earth is that a farmer told me if I had bug problems it was what I needed. He is a professional and farms over 20,000 acres each year. He buys it by the truck load from the Co op but they don't sell it in small quantities. Hope your feeling better.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Them Vs. Me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page