Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Young Cultivators Group
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Young Cultivators Group Next Topic  

EarthFriendlyMama
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Kerry
Norton Ma
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2013 :  4:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I have just started a Young Cultivators group. I was wondering if any of you ladies have any ideas on running a meeting? I have some, just thought I would ask, I figured someone here must have some great thoughts. Thanks!

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  5:26:57 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on starting a group! How exciting! My suggestion would be to look at other groups that are semi-similar and analyze what you like and dislike about them, forming your group based on those observations. You could look at 4-H groups, Girl Scouts and Keepers of the Faith, just to name a few :)
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile
As a 4H leader, cub scout leader, girl scout leader and boy scout merit badge counselor, I'll be glad to share a few good rules to follow.
1. ALWAYS have 2-deep leadership - another grown-up and you, and make sure you either already have or can cultivate easily a good working relationship.
2. Be open to EVERYONE's idea - especially the kids' ideas. DD's 4H club allows the kids to create their own mini-clubs for kids working in the same project area or that have similar interests. This year, they have 2 - sewing and cooking.
3. Give the kids as many opportunities to lead as possible. The leader from my DD's 4H club creates positions for the kids. They have 30 kids in their club this year, and there are 15 leadership positions. They start as simply as share-and-care coordinator (helps coordinate meals, cards, etc. for club families going through illness, new baby, etc.) all the way up to the more formal officers' positions like president, etc.
4. Use the merit badges to help you plan your meeting. Did this for Brownies, and had the best time ever! In my GS level training, the leaders of the workshop told us that the average Brownie earns 8 merit badges over 3 years. My girls walked away with a minimum of 11, and they had worked on 22, some from other councils in different states. When someone gives you a bookful or list of activity ideas, USE IT! Then, you don't have to recreate the wheel.
5. Use as many recyclables, reusables, etc. for your projects as possible to keep costs down, and don't be afraid to ask families to contribute something or bring something. Otherwise, it will all fall on you, which is totally not fair, and will build a lot of resentment.
6. Have fun with your kids. Let them see you learning and laughing along with them. Don't help them unless they absolutely need it, then only help as little as possible. They will gain so much more from the experience.

Good luck!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Young Cultivators Group Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page