ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  07:37:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a problem that has been ongoing for the last two years with my zucchini and summer squash: The plants will fruit, but the fruit doesn't mature. You see the tiny little zucchini on the plant, and they might grow to be, say, 2 inches long or less (not a size that you would harvest), but the flowers don't open, and the squashes yellow, shrivel, and die instead of maturing.

Last year my zucchini plants died from an infestation of vine borers before I could deal with this problem, but this year, I have wrapped the stems in tinfoil and so far have seen no vine borers this year. The leaf part of the plants looks mostly healthy. A few of the leaves have wilted but most are fine.

I should note that the patch where we have the zucchini and squash growing is a site where there used to be a huge pile of shredded wood shavings from having a tree stump ground out. My cat has done her job over the last few years of adding nitrogen to this part of the garden as well . She is parasite free, so I don't worry about this being a problem.

Also, my tomatoes, peas, and raspberries are flourishing.

I am trying to avoid adding non-organic fertilizers to the garden. I have sprinkled some epsom salt as a friend recommended, but it has not done any good. I am considering switching around my garden next year and planting peas and beans in that area of the garden as they are known to improve poor soil, and planting the zucchini in another spot.

Meanwhile, do you have any tips to make this part of my garden more fertile? What do you think is causing this problem?

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Amanda - have you used any compost on the garden? You can dump the compost right at the roots and around the plants. If you don't want to buy it, you don't have to. Chop up all your veggie and fruit peels and scraps and tea bags and newspaper and leaves very fine, mix them with your coffee grounds and sprinkle directly onto the garden. You don't have to mix it in - just let nature do all the work. I do this on a regular basis and you would about faint at the size of my plants and the produce I've got coming in out there (IF I can manage to stave off the squash bugs and cucumber beetles, that is!). This is a very safe, very healthy way to fertilize your garden - you can't overdo it, and it won't burn your plants or their roots. Plus, the healthier your plants, the better chance they will have in standing up against pests and disease. I think this might help you tremendously. Also, if you can get your hands on any nasturtium plants or dill or cosmos or even bright pink petunias, go ahead and plant them in between your zucchinis. They won't harm them - they will actually help detract the bad bugs (they hate these plants - they're either offended by the smell OR they are poisonous to them OR they just plain confuse them and they leave) and bring in beneficials that will kill the eggs and larvae of the bad bugs. In the meantime, watch for eggs - tear that part of the leaf right off, squash the eggs and then dump them in soapy water to be doubly sure you've gotten them - and squish any nasty squash bugs or cucumber beetles you find because they will suck your plants dry. Remember they really like to burrow in under ground - especially if you have wood chips or any type of natural mulch covering your bed. Be sure to check around the base of your plants, too - I have found that squash bugs and flea beetles, especially, love it down there. As the summer progresses, you can also start a new compost pile this year so that you can enrich your soil next spring! I hope this helps!

How is dear old RI? I think I've shared with you - I was born in Pawtucket!!! Is Apex still there? Newport Creamery? Red's Seafood? Ohhh... seafood. How I miss real seafood! LOL!

Good luck with everything - I'm sure our farmgirl sisters will have much more wisdom to impart, too!

Hugs-

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 12 2013 09:31:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  08:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Too much rain is causing mine to die off after about 2 inches of growth. Once the rain stops, and the sun comes out, we get more larger ones.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  11:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I have put some compost down. I might put down some more. The Apex building is still there, and there's still some business going on in it. The DMV has moved to Cranston. I have never heard of Red's Seafood. The closest Newport Creamery I know of is on Smith Street in Providence.

Kristina, we have been getting a lot of rain, but we just came off a run of several days of straight sunshine, and I didn't notice any improvement.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  12:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh my... things have changed. It's been too long since I've been home...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile
yep, same here Kristina,
TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much rain! And I love squash!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
http://whitesheepfarm.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Zucchini/Summer Squash help? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page