crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend that his house burned to the ground- YIKES! He and his wife and decided not to rebuild there, they are selling the lot. Their Peonies are still going strong- he said I could dig them up if I wanted to- but they are over 20 years old- does anyone know what is the best way to transplant them or even if it is possible?? Thank you for the help!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile
I know them to be tough in my own experience. Dig em up wide and deep making sure roots stay damp. I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket to move. Make sure the hole is deep enough and wet when you put them n their new home. You lucky dog! So sorry though for your friend's loss. Just a thought...you could pot one for them and give it to them when they get set up in a new place. Good luck.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  10:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Awesome- and that is a great idea- I hate to see them get plowed over!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I had one at our old house that was given as a housewarming gift. I dug part of it up when we moved to another house, and it didn't do anything for about a year - actually it looked pretty bad! But it just took it's time, it goes strong every year. And it's been 7 years!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile
lori...what a treasure tho i am sorry to read the "why'....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  4:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Yep, they're pretty much unkillable, as long as you keep the roots moist. I also have some I dug up at a friend's house about a month ago, and they're still in the baskets I used to get them into my truck, so I hope my advice is good! ;)
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  05:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the advice and encouragement...going to try to start digging on Saturday am....

Thanks again dear friends!!]

Lori

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  10:07:56 AM  Show Profile
When you do plant them, don't get discouraged. Peonies are strong, but finicky. They can have good years and bad, and blooms depend on weather related issues such as temp and rain. I'd have the holes dug in my yard first, so they don't sit too long, and transfer them like the girls say in buckets to keep them moist. Lucky you!! Sad for your friend's loss, though.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  5:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lori,
My mother passed away 6 years ago and I dug up her peonies and planted them all along my fence. They didn't do well the first year. Every year after they got better and better. They were fabulous this year. Good luck and sorry for your friends loss.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  8:20:28 PM  Show Profile
would love to see photos nect year!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  9:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have peonies and I LOVE them! I haven't had to transplant them so I can't give any advice. Just wanted to say I think it's certainly worth a try! Wishing you the best!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  10:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I transplanted heirloom peonies from my grandmother's Iowa garden to my Colorado garden a number of years ago. I did the transplant work in the late summer, as the foliage was dying down. I put my spade into the middle of the bush and dug up the tubers. I then transplanted them into place , taking care not to bury them too deeply. It took a few years for them to really establish and become a "bush" in their own right, but soon enough I was having gorgeous blooms. Sadly, I had to leave the plants when I moved to Arizona because peonies don't grow here; too hot. When I get back to Colorado, I drive by the old house sometimes to check on the plants, and they seem to still be going strong. I really miss peonies, but I find them here in some of the grocery stores in the spring and I buy bunches of them. A side note; a week ago my daughter was married in Colorado and my step mom, a retired florest cut some of peonies from my grandmother's plants, she held them in refrigeration until the wedding, drove them from Iowa to Colorado, and then put them into the arrangements at the end of the guest benches, along the isles. I was so touched by my step-mom's thoughtfulness and I felt like a bit of my grandmother was there, smiling. Long story short, I hope that you are able to transplant some of the peonies that that were offered to you and I hope that that grow and become a source of joy.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Peonies?????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page