Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Moving .. the leaning tower of boxes!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Moving .. the leaning tower of boxes! Next Topic  

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Yikes ... I'm overwhelmed. Where do I begin unpacking. I'm finding stuff I haven't used in years. threw half of my storag unit away yesterday. My new place is so clean and fresh, I hate to clutter it up. Any suggestions. I'm completely overwhelmed. 26 moves in my 42 years of life. The first 20 the military did ... now I'm on my own. It is hard to carry my three kids things with me ... they live in VA and I'm in WA. I pare down each move, but my life has changed, my style and I'm into simplicity. I scrapbook, so keep things for that. I've OVERWHELMED!!! Any suggestions. I'm back to work on monday so will have the evenings. I spend the weekends at my beau's ranch and help out, play house, you name it ... it is my quiet time. My new home is a two bedroom home on a farm. I absolutely love it. No chance of a yard sale ... too far out. I've given alot Goodwill, friends, etc. I just want simplicity. Help! My computer is in for repair so will get on the board when I can. I have a material box started for a friend I met on this board. Any and all suggestions appreciated. At this point even a professional organization who understands country, kids and a 'nester' would be opportune!

Bless, Suzy

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  3:02:43 PM  Show Profile
I just went through 1 box at a time, when I moved. If I found stuff I wasn't sure what to dowith I put all those in a box, marked what was in it, for later. It's hard. I had to go through all of my stuff in the basement that I had saved plus other stuff when I went through my divorce 8 years ago.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  7:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
Alot of people on here like to barter, seems like a good way to pare down things you don't need anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  8:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Suzy...it IS hard isn't it? I have moved alot too, and seems like I have way more stuff than I should for all these moves (lost count at about 35 or so a few years ago...at least 2 moves since then!!! I hope to never ever ever move again. It is so hard...I feel for ya!!
I guess my advice is to just take it one box at a time like Kim said. Bartering is a great idea too...everyone is at a different stage and needs different things..so I am sure some of us would love to barter for what you don't want anymore. If you barter for perishables like homemade soap, or neccesities like a new apron it could work out well for ya!!
Keep your chin up..it will get easier!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  08:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I watch TV too much, but there are a couple of shows that I LOVE that may help, if you can get them. One is Mission Organization on HGTV and the other is Clean Sweep on TLC. What I like is that, especially on Clean Sweep, they talk a lot about the emotions involved in letting things go. Having said that . . . I am in the midst of packing up a home that I've lived in for 27 years and it IS difficult. I have made many, many trips to the Goodwill. I have given things away via Freecycle. We took a huge load of stuff to the Hazardous Waste station (paint and stuff). And my husband has filled four dumpsters full of junk from our barn (mostly stuff that my father-in-law collected) . . . and there's still more. Just yesterday I bought a large "business-type" paper shredder at Costco to shred gobs of sensitive paper information. We've overheated the thing three times and had to stop shredding for a while. We've started putting boxes and miscellaneous things into a storage unit. You would think our house would be empty . . . but it looks pretty much the same. The barn is almost empty though. We want to simplify and downsize also. We've been working at this for more than six months. I'm jealous that you are at the unpacking stage!!
Having said all that . . . this is what I would do, what I plan to do when we finally do move . . . go through each box or item and decide if I LOVE it or if I NEED it . . . if neither, out it goes (garbage of Goodwill). If I LOVE it or NEED it then it needs to be dealt with properly. Either display it or use it OR file, label and record it so you know where it is and can get to it in an instant. Don't overwhelm yourself . . . just do one box at a time the rest will wait patiently. I think having a friend with you as you go through stuff could help put things in perspective. Well I've sure been long-winded, I guess you know what's been on my mind lately.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  11:21:00 AM  Show Profile
I have been cleaning out the shop this past two weeks simply out of self defense. I do a lot of the building projects here myself and use most of the tools we own on one occasion or another. I needed a certain tool last week and spent about an hour looking for it. This is the story, my husband has a system that works for him a little but not at all for me. If he uses a tool at a specific job he leaves it there until he finishes the job no matter how long it takes. That is fine if I do not need it in the meantime or he is here to tell me where he has left it. If he cannot find it when he needs it he finds mine and then leaves that where he was using it, arrgggh. He also clears off flat surfaces to use to fix things closest to where he is going to work on said project but in the process he puts everything that was on the surface in question into any empty box he can find and then sets it aside. I am sure he intends to put those things away some day but so far it just isn't happening, so I have systematically emptied out over 25 boxes this week and put away a lot of stuff. The funny thing is that in the boxes I have found things that I have done without for over 2 years. Do I put them away or sell them. So far I am planning to sell a lot of it to get more money for the hurricane relief fund. Haven't needed it in 2 years really do not need it I guess. My poor husband in the meantime cannot find anything because it is in the tool box where it belongs.Or I have put in into a plastic storage container that is labeled for "Electrical work" or plumbing work" or electronics work" etc. The shop is getting sheet rock as a result and will be really nice when I get it done. I will put up a peg board for him like the one I have in my upholstery room where all of my tools have a place to hang up. I think when it is done he will not be so grumbly as he is right now in the middle of it. Poor lamb.
Eileen
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Suzy,

I'm in the process of unpacking too, so I feel your pain. Donating anything that I can is turning out to be a good way to get rid of stuff and feel good about it. I had the opportunity to drop off all the bedding that we don't have a need for or room for this past Saturday when I found out that the Red Cross was doing a pick up at a friend's church for people displaced by Hurricane Katrina who are being moved to Michigan. It allowed me to get rid of stuff without a second thought because I knew it was going to people who really, really need it right now. I also was able to get rid of a large piece of furniture that was in danger of being ruined because it was sitting outside because a friend admired it. I'd had it since college (I think it was one of the first pieces of furniture I bought with my own money for my own place) and it was a little painful to let it go, but knowing that it was going to someone who would appreciate it and put it to use made it a lot easier. It is emotional to let go of material things, but it can be really liberating if you find a way to do it that allows you to know stuff you can't put to use is "going to a good home."

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Moving .. the leaning tower of boxes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page