7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  08:07:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Oooooh, man.... I'm giggling again...

I just wrapped up a text session with my son and swear I heard him groan the moment I signed off, "Huggy huggy to my lil love buggy!" LOL! I know.. I shouldn't be so "Mo-o-om!" embarrassing. I can't help it. I still see him as a little boy sometimes, and I always want him to know that Mommy loves him, especially during these turbulent teen years. I'm sure I'm not winning any points with that particular saying, though. The silence on the cell phone afterwards was deadening. I'm such a mean Mom. Tee hee... Oh well, I'm sure I'll hear about it when he gets home. But it's not like I say it in front of anyone to embarrass him, for Heaven's sake! LOL! Guess I'm going to have to make cookies or muffins or something to sweeten his mood...

I also call my hubby, "Woobie." You know, like the name the little boy gave to his security blanket in the movie "Mr. Mom." He's my warm, loving security blanket - my Woobie. It drives the man absolutely nuts. Depending upon when and how I use the term, though, it either makes him cringe or smirk. Let's just say a little humor and a funny face goes a loooong way.

Another thing is, I always seem to hear my Grandma's voice singing in my heart in different situations. The other day my son had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity offered to him, and without even giving it a thought I said, "Well, you know, if you do decide to do that, it's just another feather in your cap, bud." He looked at me like I had two heads. It's funny how Grandma's words just come to the surface. She is always with me, and I find that quite comforting - even if it blows my son's mind sometimes.

I've got a million of them, to be sure. But I'm wondering what other funny pet names you have for your loved ones and any sayings you're known for... How did you come up with them? Where did they come from? Let's spread the giggles!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Great topic, Nini!

I do have some pet names for my wee girl, Violet--I call her "little wren", or "chicken". I don't know why I call her chicken, but I did and it stuck and that's that! I don't call my husband any pet names other than "Jus" (and he calls me "Jon").

The things I say to her all come from my upbringing--mostly sayings from my Dad and grandmothers.

If Violet's running amok, I say, "Mae (her middle name), you're wilder than a March hare!"

If she's mad and pouting and says, "I'm mad!" I'll respond, "Well, you can just get glad." Which is what my father always told me.

If she's in the house under my feet while I'm cleaning or doing something, I'll say, "Get outside and get the stink blown of ya!" just like my grandmother said to me when I was doing the same.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I find myself saying most often!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile
That's so sweet - I love "little wren" and "chicken!" We have always called our son "Egg-n-Hammy" it rhymes with is name... "Sammy, Sammy, Egg-n-Hammy." He doesn't mind it so much though. We also call him "Junior JUNIOR" because our foster son was our first, and we always called him, "Junior" (long before we ever thought our son would be possible!). Both names have stuck. When the guys at work call our son Junior, our foster son chimes in, "Noo...You've got that backwards! I'm Junior! He's Junior JUNIOR!" Too funny. The other nicknames we have for him are "Captain Chaos." He used to pull everything off the shelves when he was little and then just walk away - HATED organization! LOL!

My parents always used to call me "Lady Jane" when I was a kid. My son calls me, "My wonderful, loving mother" whenever he wants something, and my hubby calls me, "My love..." It just doesn't get better than that! :) And when our cousin was still a toddler, he couldn't pronounce our first names, so that's how I became "Nini," and he would call my husband "Cockeye." Still cracks me up to think about that! So funny...

I love those sayings, too! I'm going to have to remember the "get glad" one - that's awesome! I'm going to have to ask my guys what some of the other funny ones I say are... I can't seem to think of any at the moment. Too much mint chocolate iced coffee, I guess! LOL!

Can't wait to hear more! If you have more, Jonni - please do share! I love this!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  12:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Had a dog named "Funny" once. "Hey, Sharon, what'cha doing?" "Going to walk Funny." "Hey, Sharon, now what are you doing?" "Bathing funny."

I refer to my husband as "Hon" whether it be in person or on the net. His real name is Bill and that's what he goes by, but to me he's Hon. When I tell a story on our website or mention the kids on-line I refer to them as Young'un, Kid, and Eldest. Can't be too careful now days.

Oh, and we have names for all the animals. Yesterday I was contemplating changing one of the Icelandic rams names from Fella to Richard...well, you know, the shortened version of it anyway.

Gesh, Violet, mom used to tell us to go outside and blow some stink off, and I use that with the boys now, too. I also tell them I'm your mother, not your maid. That's a big one around here. Oh, and it's a snack, not a meal.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon

http://www.thesilvermaplefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  12:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Where's Frankfort, Ohio, Sharon? My Gran and all my Great Gran's were from Grove City, Ohio and Pickaway County.

I love that someone else uses it! Violet always looks back at me and crinkles up her little face in question :)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile
I like this post! I call my hubby Hon he calls me Babe. Then we used to sing I got you Babe! Lol Drive the nieces and nephews crazy.
My daddy use to say like if we got something right. Like answer, chore, etc. My dad would say" Ah you won you pick up the marbles." When he was a little boy he played marbles. So I guess that's where he got it. So funny!
Can't things of anything else right now!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile
That's so sweet, Marlee! I call my hubby and son "Babe," too... But nobody will ever sing with me! LOL! When I start chirpin', they take off a-runnin'! I love that you guys sing that song together! Your Dad's marble saying is so sweet, too! Funny how things just stick with us, huh? :)

I tend to be a morning person, so when I wake up my hubby and son I usually say in a sing-songy voice, "Rise and Shi-i-ine, Porcu-pi-i-ine!" My son just pulls the sheet over his head, groans, and asks me to please not say that in the morning. My hubby, on the other hand, always makes a funny voice and says, "Rise and shi-ine?! Rise and shi-ine?! When YOU rise, YOU shine!" Then he giggles, gives me a kiss and rises to shine! I think he got that from the movie, "The Great Race," or something. He's so silly sometimes! LOL!

I'm still trying to think of things I say all the time, too... I know there are quite a few, but I'm drawing a total blank. I'm sure they'll come to me! Please keep posting yours as they come to mind, too!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 02 2013 6:24:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  03:59:39 AM  Show Profile
With 5 kids they are always arguing about who is mom's 'favorite'.....So when I hug and kiss on them I always say, "Your my favorite Ben (or Andre, Trav, Katie or Karolyn) or "Your my favorite teenage girl (or 8 year old, or oldest child)" They all laugh and say "Your my favorite Mom"

When the boys were babies I had read somewhere that a person needs to hear "I love you" 5 times day to grow to be healthy. So I make sure I tell everyone in the family "I love You". so many busy days I tuck them in and say it 5 times in a row with hugs and kisses. They think I ma crazy!

I call Hubby...Studmuffin. He is just sooooo darn cute!

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2013 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
I call my hubby..Babe..he calls me his lil cinnamon bun..lol..and my son, no matter where we are ..I tell him..."Lil blue eyed baby boy...yo mama loves ya!"(he is now 42!) and my daughter is NeeNee..or Oney'Chelle...(she is 45 now)...They both tollerate me..lol What fun..my gma called me Cotton Top..wow! Been a while since I thought bout that...sweet memories..oh and my youngest grandsons..shortpants..lol... Blessings Girls

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  06:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread, Nini! I'm giggling and smiling.

My husband and I call each other "mus" pronounced "moose". It's Danish for " mouse". When we first got married twenty years ago, I cried thinking he was calling me a "moose" until he told me the translation. We call our dd "bug" or "snuggle bug" because since the day she was born she loves to snuggle. I've also called her my baby love, or munchkin, though she is as tall as me now (gulp)! And we both call her our "punkin" which is what my daddy called me.

Our dogs always had nicknames too. Dino was our " Dino Burrito", Phoebe was "Phoebe cakes" and Bonnie is our "Bon Bon". Not sure why we refer to them as foods, lol! Mittens is "Mittens Kitten" even though she's grown now!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile
I love these!

Oh my gosh - Nicole! I completely forgot to mention... Our dog's name is Pawlee (my son named her when we got her - he was wee little then!), but I call her "Tigerlily," "Nana," and "Lady Jane." They just seem to fit her personality sometimes. My husband calls her "Lump" or "Plop" because now that she's older, she tends to just plop herself down in the middle of our paths and lay there like a lump despite our urgings to move. It's hard for her, what can I say? And you know what's weird? (I'm so weird!) Sometimes I speak to her in French... She seems to understand that better than English at times! LOL! Drives my hubby and son nuts, though - they don't have a clue what I'm saying to her! LOL!

I have always called my son "Pumpkin" and "Peanut." Now that he's 6'3" he doesn't really appreciate those nicknames, but to my heart, they still "fit." I also call him "Brainiac," because he's so smart and always beats us at Jeopardy! (Not to mention the fact that like his Dad, he's a wealth of "useless" knowledge... LOL!)

And I remembered one of my sayings this weekend while our son was giving us a hard time about the minimal chores for which he is responsible (and I do mean minimal). I told him: "But, dear heart, that's what we had you for!" LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  03:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh ladies, this is not very nice, but it is just one of those things that evolved within our family tapestry of craziness.

When we first moved to Wilmington, DE we got a cat who never was really named but was just called "Kitty". Once he passed away after a long and happy life, his replacement was also just called "Kitty". In order to differentiate the "Kitty" to which one was referring, conversationally they became "Kitty" and "Dead Kitty". Seriously. But it was said with great affection as we had "Dead Kitty" for over 12 years and loved him dearly.

I know it would have been much nicer to call them "Kitty" and "New Kitty", but for whatever macabre reasoning, it did not work out that way.

In reading the other posts, often there is no logic as to how nicknames happen - they just do and this one just did.

Maybe we all watched too many Addams Family reruns!
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  08:46:29 AM  Show Profile
My grandparents would call me "stringbean" or Lisa-bean. My sister was porkchop. My dad used to call us "sugar". (Remember the song by the Archies - "Sugar.... oh honey, honey. You are my candy girl...)

Anyway, When I met my husband, I called him Pooh. Not the bright yellow one! I had just finished reading "The Tao of Pooh", and we would talk about it sometimes. The name just stuck.

Oh, and my 12 year old daughter calls me "oh loving mother" - when she's not mad!

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  11:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Love reading all the post!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  07:48:25 AM  Show Profile
I love reading them, too, Marlee!

Lisa - A friend gave me the book, "The Tao of Pooh" a long time ago, but I never read it! He also gave me the book, "Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," which I haven't read, either... Looks like I'm going to have to go up to the attic and pull it out! Thank you for the reminder!

One silly thing that my husband says when he's leaving or hanging up the phone (after "I love you," of course!) is, "'Later, gator, when your legs are straighter!" I have no idea what that's supposed to mean... Maybe it's his attempt at poetry. So romantic. Yay. LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Nini, oh, that's funny - his attempt at poetry! He's a poet and didn't know it!
ok, ok, I'll stop now.....

I once had a big white rabbit as a pet when I was a kid, and I named her "dutchess" (yes, really! I don't know what I was thinking - I was 10 years old and I guess it sounded fancy!) Anyway, My mom always called her "bun-bun". I guess Whatever is easiest tends to work!
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Lisa you a poet. I'm laughing stop, stop my stomach hurt!

Marlee

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  07:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness... you crack me up, Lisa! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile
I call my only daughter Julia, Jujubee, after the sweet candy. I continually make up names for my grandchildren. Sometimes it is pookiebug, or bootersnoot, and my grandson will always say, "I am NOT bootersnoot! I am Josiah!" I love to tease them with silly names.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile
My great grandmother called my sister Kelly with a green necktie. Yes her name is kelly. My moms mother used to call me moonbaby because I was born on the exact day the men left for first moon walk on July 16 1969. My son I call dood short for doodlebug.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  5:12:24 PM  Show Profile
What a fun topic! Growing up, I was the only one out of 5 kids that did not have a nickname, so my youngest brother decided to name me "Dufus." There is nothing like giving your Valedictorian speech at your High School graduation and hearing "yay Dufus!" Anyways, because of that, ALL of my children (we have six now) have nicknames! It is a requirement when we are picking a name. Even with that, though, I still find that we call our kids by other nicknames as well. My oldest was called "Chipmunk" because as a toddler, she had really fat cheeks and looked like a chipmunk hiding nuts in its cheeks. My second daughter is "Samarilla" (her name is actually Sam or Samantha) and my youngest daughter is "Cupcake." My boys are "Bubba," "Silly Willy" (his name is actually Will) and my youngest son is "Stinker." My hubby and I have called each other "Babyluv" since we first started dating, lol. It has still stuck!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  3:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Love the nicknames, girls! LOL! Oh... Shannon! You poor thing! Dufus? That's just mean!!! But funny! Very funny! And memorable, too!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  5:18:47 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, I've kinda gotten use to being called Dufus. He still calls me that, and I'm in my mid-thirties now! Thankfully, he is the only one that does, though ;) He and his wife had their first baby back in January - he is NOT allowed to call me Aunt Dufus. I told my brother that if he does, I'm disowning him (my brother that is).
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Dufus!!?? Oh no - maybe this nickname shouldn't make it to the next generation!
I don't know Shannon, you're a better person than me....
How about Aunt Valedicorian!!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for this thread Nini :) This is fun. Shannon sorry about the 'Dufus", I agree with Lisa "Aunt Valedictorian" :)

Growing up my Dad used to call me Shannie which I never understood because I was 'Sharon' not 'Shannon'
Michael my 'Honey" calls me Sweetheart and when he introduces me he says his "Bride" Sharon. Which is funny because a particular place where I shop the gals there know that Michael, my husband is a pastor. Well, one day Michael went with me (he had not been there before) and was introducing me as his Bride. One of the gals looked shocked and when Michael walked away she asked how long we were married for. I told her 15 years (at the time) and then she started laughing. She thought I left my husband and recently married.

Pet names :)

Our pup Cookie has a bunch of nicknames: Cookie Monster (when she is being extra playful), Cookie Dumpling (when she's being sweet) and Cookie Cutter (when she eats the wrong thing ;))

Oh and speaking of Aunts, our friend's boys call Michael and I Uncle and Aunt. They were visiting one time and I had made Enchiladas, I am now Aunt Chilada

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  02:45:28 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Aunt Chilada!!! That's HYSTERICAL, Sharon! Caught me totally off guard and made me laugh up my coffee! LOL!!! That's awesome!

I agree with Lisa, too, Shannon - Aunt Valedictorian... MUCH better! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Funny Pet Names and Sayings.. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page