Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Indian runner ducks Next Topic  

Italian Country Girl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Leslie
Damascus Ar.
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Italian Country Girl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Farmgirls, I have some Indian Runner ducks & I'm wanting to know how long do they lay for? Mine were hatched this year or last year. I do know that they slack off though the winter. I've tryed to look it up on the internet & some books, but no luck. Any info on this would help. Thanks & hope you are all ready for the winter!

Smile Jesus Loves Us!!!

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Each hen should lay 250ish eggs per year. As the days get shorter you might need to give them an artificial light source to keep them laying.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:50:15 PM  Show Profile
I perked up when I read the name of the topic..I'm wanting to get some of these this Spring...oh and from you at that..LOL hope those darlings lay some eggs come spring time for you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:56:10 PM  Show Profile
I just love my two ducks, the hen is just in her first year and she has been laying faithfully for a couple of months now. Can't beat duck eggs for baking.
Best luck with yours,
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  10:21:26 PM  Show Profile
I just googled these guys, they are amazing! Are they winter hardy?? Are they as tall as they look in photos?? Very interesting.......

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  03:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I don't think they're quite as hardy as my mallards or any of the rare breeds I've had. They do get through winter without distress as long as they have good shelter. This winter they're going into a box stall in the barn. I water them outside so that they don't ruin the straw quickly. They spend the day outside as long as it's not very windy and/or cold. They've got a nice warm winter coat already.

I have chocolate, blue and fawn and white. They are as tall and thin as they look in pictures. They're like bowling pins on legs.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Italian Country Girl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Leslie
Damascus Ar.
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Italian Country Girl a Yahoo! Message
I have the fawn & white. These are my favorit ducks so far. I do like use the eggs for baking too. They adopt other babies waterfowls & take care of them like thier own. Mine adopt geese! I have one more question, how old are they when they stop laying eggs for good? Thanks!

Smile Jesus Loves Us!!!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Indian runner ducks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page