Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  10:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I'm going to be looking for the Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie. I don't remember Grandma using her fingers in the piecrust, but she did make great pies. I was also able to help her make butter, especially when her churning arm got tired. She would then take the butter out of the jar and knead it with the wooden paddle to get all the buttermilk out of it. That was also delicious. When she got electricity in her house in the early 50's, she was pleased to have a butter warmer in the refrigerator. She obviously didn't like the cold, hard butter that would tear the bread apart. Can we imagine the calories and cholesterol in those delicious foods? Her fried chicken (fried in lard) was to die for, literally I suppose.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes ... fried pies. My grandmother made fried peach pies. Her homemade apple pie was delicious as well. Ditto on the Crisco. How times have changed. :)
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile

Dumplings!!! My granny made the best chicken and dumplings, ham dumplings, and blackberry dumplings(blackberries always in season here around the 4th of July)! She and my mother were grand cooks. And to top off all of the many delicious things she cooked...well "Apple Stack Cake" was the bomb. I miss my granny so much. She lived with us from the time I was 4 until I was 22. She was in her mid 90's when she passed away. Thanks for such wonderful posts from all the farm sisters.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  08:12:19 AM  Show Profile
You all are making my mouth water with all your fond memories of your grannies cooking. My granny was the best cook and did everything from scratch the hard way. I've never been able to duplicate how she made some things, she just had a special touch with everything she did. I'll never forget what she did for us one Easter and think of it still to this day. She pierced holes in the ends of eggs and blew out the eggs for scrambled eggs, cleaned out the shells and let them dry. Poured Jello into the cleaned out eggshells, placed them back into the egg carton and refrigerated. Of course we never knew how she did it and she told us the chickens had laid "jello eggs" which we totally believed. She would "crack the eggs" and to our amazement out came the beautiful multicolored jiggly eggs! What a treat! Many years later I tried to do it myself and let me tell you not easy! Bless her heart she always went out of her way to do special things to make her grandkids smile. She had a gas stove and would make the most wonderful toast I guess under the broiler that only toasted on one side that we would have with our oatmeal or eggs, another thing I've never been able to duplicate.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile
What a great topic! My grandma was a baker. She had a little bake shop that she built( she was very handy in the area of carpentry from what I hear) and they lived on the lake. In the summertime she would get up around 4 in the morning and makes pies, turnovers, doughnuts and all manner of these huge cookies. She also was very handy in the sewing and craft dept. In the winter they would go to Florida to visit my aunt and she would pick up all sorts of things on the beach. Shells, driftwood and she would would make them into whatever her creative mind came up with. I wish I had pictures of some of the stuff. She crocheted jewelry and sold that too. That place was famous on the lake in the summers and she never lacked for customers. She had the bulk of her baking done by 6 when she opened the shop. Everything was baked fresh each day. I think the thing I loved the most that she made were her turnovers. They had the flakiest crust and she filled them with fruit till they were bursting when you bit into one. She never had anyone else help in the shop either. It was just a little place. Whenever we would go up to spend time my mom always gave us a dime or quarter for the candy counter and she would put whatever we bought in these little tiny brown bags that we toted home. The candy was usually eaten on the 45 minute trip home.
Thanks so much for letting me share some memories and for letting me go back in time today. Grandma has been gone since I was 11 but today in my minds eye she was alive and well.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5167 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5167 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Denise what a beautiful story about your grandma! So many wonderful stories, I enjoyed them all!!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  4:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Such heartwarming stories, I'd love to read more!

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3102 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  6:19:11 PM  Show Profile
My grandma always had a huge bowl of cucumbers and onions in the fridge during the summer. She would just add to it as it got low adjusting the vinegar, water and sugar as she thought it needed to be. I have tried to do the same, but I can never quite get the same flavor as her. Another of my favorites as a kid was when grandma would help us make donuts! It was just a can of the biscuits in the fridge that we would cut in half or poke holes in (whatever we wanted). Grandma would then put them in the deep fryer for us. As soon as they turned golden brown she would drop them in a paper bag with sugar in it. We would shake them to coat them then enjoy! The worst thing I remember my grandma making is liver and onions!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. Grandma's are the best!

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  07:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't have fond memories of either of my grandmothers and certainly none of "favorite treats". My dad's mother was mean and didn't like anybody, including her grandchildren. She raised eight children so she had lots of grandkids but none of us wanted to be around her and food at her house was weird and not particularly yummy.

My mom's mother was sweeter and more friendly to her grandchildren but she was always moaning and complaining about her ailments and she, too, did not prepare interesting meals or make treats.

I remember not wanting to stay at or eat at the home of either . . . isn't that sad??

I was always so grateful that my mom and my MIL had good, nurturing relationships with my kids and they can say they have fond memories of them!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  08:27:40 AM  Show Profile
raisin spice bars. I still have not found the exact recipe. But grandma baked by feel. Every Saturday Mom would take flour and crisco to the farm and gma would bake countless loaves of bread, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, cookies and the frosted spice bars (like a cake bar). I would love that recipe. This is a comforting topic.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  2:57:46 PM  Show Profile
There wasn't anything that my grammies made that wasn't good.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Heather~
My mom used to make those doughnuts for us when she stopped making the old fashioned cake doughnuts. Everybody loved her cake doughnuts but as she got older she did less and the biscuit kind made my kids just as happy!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  03:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

It has been a joy reading through the happy remembrances of grandmas. I could almost smell some f the delicious treats described. My favorite thing about many of them is that the simplest things - like hot chocolate from an envelope - for whatever reason just tasted better at Grandma's house. A testimony to the power of "atmosphere".

I also got some wonderful recipe ideas.

I look forward to more postings if anyone else chimes in-
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  06:39:02 AM  Show Profile
You're right Cindy, "atmosphere". I can remember my grandma's kitchen so well. We weren't in there very often because she was busy baking all the time it seemed but what I loved most was that she designed and built her own kitchen. She installed the cabinets and the flooring. That memory inspires me every time I have a diy project going on in the house.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Cindy, it tasted better because you were at Grandma's!
My mom's parent's didn't like us much, so I have no memories of them. But my dad was an only child, so we were the only grandchildren! They were native New Englanders, so everything was a bland, boiled dinner! But we did make cookies together! I think that started me on the path to baking. My Nana would also let us make those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls (in the round canister). And the little container in the end of the package that was icing? We could use as much as we wanted!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile
My grandma on my dad's side of the family was never a good cook, so my nostalgia treats that she gave me were coconut seven-layer bars (I still make them, even if they're totally prefab and shameful), and Viennese lace cookies that she bought from a bakery.

My other grandmother was the cook, and I remember her making me corn fritters, potato pancakes, pickled tomatoes, and the best Thanksgiving turkey stuffing ever.
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2013 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile
I remember the jar of cucumbers and onions in the fridge. I didn't like that too much back then but I love it now.

My maternal grandmother made fried peach pies to die for and wonderful apple pies. I have her recipe (framed) for the latter. Everything she made was good. I remember her green beans. Not fancy but very delicious.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  5:15:37 PM  Show Profile

Today...I put 2 gallon blackberries in the freezer...made me think of the delicious "Blackberry Dumplings" my mom and grandma used to make...what sweet memories!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  5:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Judy my sister and I were recently scouting around for my Mom's blackberry dumpling recipe. We found it and made some. They weren't as good as Mom's were but we loved the fact they brought back such wonderful memories of when we were kids. Mom always served them warm from the oven and sometimes she would add a little dollop of homemade vanilla ice cream. Oh to be a kid again!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  12:17:06 PM  Show Profile

Denise,

Oh the ice cream with the blackberry dumplings...yummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Tis the season when a lot of garden stuff is coming in...and it takes me back to when I was a young girl...all the things we canned and froze and put away for the year. I still love "shuck beans"...and am planning to put away at least 2 bushel next week. I dry them outside weather permitting...if not I will use my dehydrator. I love this thread. Have you ever eaten a molasses stack cake...so delicious!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  4:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I've never heard of molasses stack cake but it sure sounds good! I want to go tomorrow and see about beans to can. We didn't have a garden this year due to life and all that has gone on in the past year, but I want to make some dilly beans and get some other things put up. Only thing is the pressure canner scares me to death but my dad is here and believe it or not has a lot of canning experience so it won't be so bad with his help I'm sure. No one could make dumplings like my mom, so light and fluffy, I know she learned that from my grandma. I think it is so cool how things were passed down like that. I never learned her secret for those and neither did my sister.
This is such a great thread taking us down memory lane!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  05:38:05 AM  Show Profile

Denise,

I too am going to be putting up green beans next week...at least 2 bushel...I dry mine...we call them "shuck beans" here in KY. I try to put them outside to dry...but if the weather doesn't permit...I put them in a dehydrator. I am hoping to dry some apples this year too. I just got my dehydrator last year. I love it...never dreamed it would be so useful. I am hoping to put up several dozen ears of corn this year...along with tomatoes. Fresh things you put away tastes so much better...not to mention better for you than store bought stuff. What are "dilly beans"...never heard of them.

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  4:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Judy,
Dilly beans are green beans made with dill, garlic and vinegar. Sort of like pickled beans but them don't taste as strong as pickles. You don't serve them in the juice they were canned in. I have been scouting around for somewhere I can get them by the bushel. Most of our farm markets around here sell by the pound.
There is one but it takes about 40 minutes to get there. I may venture out on Saturday (tomorrow) and see of they have any tomatoes and beans. A friend of mine just gave me three big boxes of jars for canning as she is moving and won't be using them.

Where is everyone with some more of their Grandma's treats stories? I apologize I know we did veer off track but I'd love to see more goodies made by grandmas shared.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile

Denise,

My mom loved pickled beans and pickled corn. She made jars of them every Summer. I never did aquire a taste for either of them though. DH and I picked a huge water bucket of beans earlier this evening...given to us by my sister in law...I too love the stories and would love to hear more of them. I love the memories of the past...simpler place...simpler times...

Hugs!

Judy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite treat Grandma made? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page