Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning jars gifted to me but not sure what to do
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning jars gifted to me but not sure what to do Next Topic  

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile
I just acquired three big boxes of canning jars today. A friend is moving and so she passed them on to me. Problem is most of them are the old fashioned bale and wire kind that use rubber rings. I have never used these kind for canning and don't even know if it is recommended anymore. Anyone use this kind still or do you just use them for decoration or what? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  6:15:09 PM  Show Profile
I have quite a collection of them and keep my vintage buttons collection in them in my sewing room. Also have some of the old blue ones on my kitchen counter. Not sure if they are ok to use for canning anymore. I always use the modern version for canning. I just love the look of the old ones.

Barb

at

Breezy Acres Farm
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Denise! What a wonderful gift from your friend!!! I just love those jars! I've never actually canned with them, but I do have some fun ideas for you!

Wouldn't they be lovely used for storing small craft supplies, buttons and sewing notions? OR they would make lovely gifts as layered cookie jars or gumballs or gumdrops or with soup mix or homemade bath salts or potpourri filled with barrettes and hair scrunchies for a teenage girl. Fancy it up a bit with a nice bow tied around the neck!

You can also use them as candleholders. To use with tealights or votives, pour a little bit of rice in the bottom to help steady the candle. Imagine how pretty they would be outside in the summer - you could line a walkway with them like luminaria, or hang them from their bales as hanging lights, or even turn the domed lid upside down on top and use it as a candleholder as well... you would be able to line your dining table with them at varying heights this way - SO pretty when interwoven with flowers or ivy or holiday greens! For that matter, I'm sure you can make jar candles out of them.

One year, I bought an old 4-sectioned milk carrier from the local junk store. It was already decorated with holiday greenery, berries and apples. I filled four dome jars to place inside: one with homemade hot cocoa mix, one with candy canes, one with tiny marshmallows, and one with a layered cookie mix - or was it layered with Christmas cookies? Now I can't remember... but you get the idea. I tied each with a bright red ribbon, placed each in its own section of the carrier, wrapped it up well, packed it up and sent it off to one of my dearest old friends who lives miles and miles away for Christmas.

Another friend fills hers by intertwining single strands of battery operated string lights with decorative cinnamon scented potpourri, and then tops it off with a plaid ribbon and bow around the neck. She places one in the corner of her kitchen counter, one on her end table, and one in the powder room. When lit, they are absolutely beautiful; and the heat from the lights is just enough to gently warm the cinnamon spice, lightly scenting each room. Wouldn't they be adorable in the fall with a fall potpourri featuring those adorable miniature pumpkins. And imagine how pretty it would be filled with seashells and seaglass in lieu of the poutpourri!

Have fun creating!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 26 2013 6:20:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  6:24:11 PM  Show Profile

How nice to receive such a lovely gift. Nini...love all your ideas!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  7:39:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm jealous, there are not that easy to find anymore, and when you do, they will cost you a pretty penny...no, do not use them for canning, just decoration, what a great friend to gift them to you...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  05:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Nini! Such creative ideas. I love the gift ideas with the food mixes and such. I think I will definitely be gifting some of these and keeping some for decoration. Thank you so much.

I am still open for other ideas if anyone has any to share!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  06:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Denise - I have a whole bunch of layered jar recipes if you'd like them. Please just let me know! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Denise,

I have three books from Marie Browning that are all about what to do with jars. There are many ideas in the books such as doing the recipe in a jar, but there are many others as well. You can fill them with toiletries sich as bath salts, make candles, decoupage them, make little sewing jars and so much more. If there is someting special that you are looking for I can copy some ideas and I can send them to you.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  10:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Marcy, I will let you know. I am not very creative so unless someone tells me an idea I don't often come up with much on my own.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  11:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Denise,
How exciting and all the exiting ideas above they will look beautiful as decorations for Christmas in an old fashioned Christmas decoration scene kind of like in the magazines you see but for you for real! They would make beautiful seasonally decorated candles lit up. Maybe even put shells that have been glittered or colored cotten balls squished inside. Oh you have so many choices, how fun it will be.
She gifted you with something special and I would love to see a photo of them because I don't think I have seen those before. I have seen the newer ones with a wire in the lid but I don't think they were old one.
I don't think I would use them for canning either, they probably have lead in the wire.

Enjoy your decorating.

Nini you have so many neat ideas, I would like to hear more of your decorating ideas.

Barb your button collection in the jar is probably beautiful sitting on the counter. I love buttons and sifting my fingers through them. I should do that with my grandmother's tin of buttons. they would be neat in a jar.

Marcy that would be a neat gift of a bath salts in a jar. Do you have a recipe for that one? I would love it.

hugs everyone
love
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  12:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Marcy, I would love to have the bath salts in a jar recipe. Are the bath salts homemade?

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  1:00:45 PM  Show Profile

Marcy,

I would love some ideas also.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning jars gifted to me but not sure what to do Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page