Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Purple Sage can you cook with it???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Purple Sage can you cook with it??? Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile
I have some purple sage and its really grown this year and was wondering if it was good to use in cooking? I have used the green sage but never the purple before and don't want to eat something that is just for looks and get sick.

I also have a pineapple sage and a verigated sage. Would these be okay to use in cooking or are these also ornamental? I was just wondering if any of you ladies have used any of these and did you like the way they tasted and worked in your cooking. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 14 2013 09:43:05 AM

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Purple sage and varigated sage have a milder flavor and are fine in cooking. Pineapple sage has a somewhat different flavor and you might want to try it is some things.
A friend of mine uses sage for tea. I didn't like it at first but now find it pleasent.
It is interesting to me to know that purple sage is also a mild hallucinogen when smoked and was used in Native American ceremonies and medicenes.
Are you trying other herbs too?

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  10:48:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan glad to know they won't make me sick.
I have other herbs growing like oregano, lemon balm, lemon verbina,dill, taragon,savory,rosemary(my most favorite) mint, peppermint, orange mint, sweet mint, chocolate mint and basil and of course the sage. I just have never used the purple or the pineapple before. I have used the regular sage in cooking poultry and also added it to ground pork to make homemade sausage.

There are other herbs I would like to try but I will try to locate them next year. I will probably have to order these because I did not see them around here.Clary sage, Horehound and there are more just can't think of them right now.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 14 2013 10:49:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile
One bit of advice. Keep your mint corralled! It spreads like crazy which is fine up to a point, now I'm digging it out of the potatoes!

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Too late for that Susan...lol. Its been growing here for years and its already growing out into the yard and other places. I don't mind tho because when I mow the grass I end up mowing the mint that has spread into the yard and it smells heavenly. I also pull it up for anyone who comes over and wants a start of mint. I have friends that say oh I would love to get a start someday of your mints if you have any extra. I just laugh and grab a bunch straight out of the ground with the roots and give them a bunch.

Today I harvested quite a few herbs and have them on screens drying. My back room smells so good. I can't wait to use them in cooking this winter when I do more hardy savory meals.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Purple Sage can you cook with it??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page