SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  06:18:57 AM  Show Profile
We have about 50 blueberry plants. They just don't seem to be thriving.
We have had problems with rabbits with the smaller plants.
We have some large bushes that are about 4 years old. They just don't seem to be growing like they should.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  07:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Have you tested the soil to see if the levels of nitrogen, phosporus, potash, micronutrients and ph are suitable for growing blueberries? The other thing blueberries can be fussy about is moisture. They prefer to be evenly moist, but not too wet and not placed in poorly draining soil. They also do better with a layer of compost mulch over their surface roots to shade the roots and help retain moisture. Perhaps you could submit a soil and plant tissue sample to your local extension plant pathology clinic for analysis that would yield some specific recommendations for your area? There may also be extension bulletins available about growing blueberries in your area that offer suggestions on soil and nutrients to use in your area. Good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Before my husband planted the blueberries he checked the soil. Maybe we need to do another sample.
We have irrigation that goes to the blueberries and have been pretty faithful with the watering.
Thanks for the input!

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  6:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Samdra, I have been trying to get blueberry bushes to grow here since we bought this place. I have tried them all over. And they would never make it to the next year. But last year, I finally found the place they like. I planted 4 and they made it through the winter and started getting leaves and looked really good. So I bought 6 more. I have a pine forest out back that was cut down years ago and I went back there and got bucket loads of the composted trees to put in each hole. Then mulched with pine straw. They get sun just about all day where they are. And it's about the highest part of my yard. So I am happy they are happy! And they are all loaded with berries!

I hope you can find out what's wrong with yours. That's strange they aren't doing anything. Have you fertilized them at all?

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Blueberry help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page