Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 how much 'sleep' do YOU need?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic how much 'sleep' do YOU need? Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  3:21:36 PM  Show Profile
i have always pretty much done well with about six hours of sleep a night .. (but feel more rested and awake and alert with eight) ... and have read lots of different 'reports' .. but thought i'd share this one with you from a Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychiatry .. and chief of the Division of Sleep and Chronobiology at the University of Pennsylvana School of Medicine .. and principal investigator of a study published in SLEEP. WHEW! .. not THERE are some credentials! Don't know if i agree or not .. just wanted to share his opinion with you:

In a recent study:

The response times and memorization abilities of people who slept six hours or less a night for two weeks ere no better than those of people who stayed awake for one to two days. Most people need seven to eight hours of sleep a night.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  3:47:55 PM  Show Profile
I *NEED* 9, but usually get about 7 with ZOe waking to nurse in the night. WE cosleep though, so it's not such a huge deal. I generally have a lot on my mind from the state of the world to new patterns for things, to what I am making the next night for dinner, so that contributes to my inability to get to sleep.....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  8:44:35 PM  Show Profile
I am sure I need alot more than the 4 or 5 hours a night I usually get. I have a hard time getting to sleep. I did catch up on Friday night though..slept 8 hours straight and boy was that a nice feeling.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  9:22:53 PM  Show Profile
jenny ... there are TWO things that put me out like a light .. one is READING ....

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  9:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I wish that worked for me!! I read late at night when I can't sleep alot of times. Maybe something like golf on tv..hmmmm...they never put that kind of stuff on that late though, do they? and I know I would just do something else and not pay attention enough to get sleepy anyhow. I do try everything I can think of.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  10:23:28 PM  Show Profile
I only need 5 hours of sleep, so I usually stay up late and do stuff. I used to sew at night. Now I read or embroider or catch up on the forum.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  11:33:45 PM  Show Profile
Frannie!! haha

Aunt Jenny, once you're asleep can you stay asleep? Have you ever thought of trying a low-dose of melatonin?

I have to have 7 hrs sleep or I get loopy...real loopy!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  05:36:05 AM  Show Profile
Frannie
So whats' that second thing??? Huh???

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  06:16:18 AM  Show Profile
I need 8-9. I wish I could function on less. I could get so much more done-but I find myself nodding off around 9:30 these days. I would love to take an afternoon nap too especially this time of year. I'm no good if I only get a few hours-even 6 doesn't seem enough and I feel groggy all day when that happens. If I have problems sleeping-warm milk with cinnamon or a glass of wine help me relax and drift off.
Yes-Frannie what is the second thing? LOL

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, isn't it great that we get to turn back the clocks this month? Frannie, the other thing just makes me wake up,LOL. Jenny, instead of good novels (they keep me up and interested), have you ever tried some devotional material, like Oswald Chambers, or George Macdonald's novels, which are very good but thoughtful rather than "exciting"? I always read in order to get sleepy, and this type of reading is what helps me. And, I need 7-8 hours, which I usually get on weekends, but less on work nights (DH's work-leaves the house at 6 a.m., and up about an hour earlier.)
By the way, it's official by way of the newspaper that too little sleep causes the appetite to increase. Lack of sleep is linked to weight gain, and I can testify, that when I am sleep deprived, I eat. Very bad.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile
I suffered from horrible insomnia from my early teens to late 20s, I'd get 3 hours on a 'good' night, thankfully it resolved on its own right around 30. Now I'm almost embarassed to admit that I sleep for a solid 9 hours! I drink a cup of warm milk and honey almost every night, it does wonders. If for some reason I get less than 6 hours, I crave comfort foods - bring on the starch and fat - and eat all day long. And my temperament is just awful.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  09:30:47 AM  Show Profile
I usually get 6 but have to have an hour nap in the afternoon. I'm better on 7 or 8 hours. My problem is I always wake up at least once to go to the bathroom so my sleep in interrupted.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  09:41:14 AM  Show Profile
X-rated darlings! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I need at least 8 hours and can really feel it when I don't get it. I also like to power nap or as my dad would say "rest my eyes" for about 15-20 minutes late afternoon, preferably when I get home, not at my desk at work! It seems its all I need to refresh myself for the evenings activites (football, soccer & hockey) which keeps me running til around 9 or so.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, we don't need "x rated" info here, we need "z" as in catching some! hee hee Seriously, you gals have no idea how in awe of you all I am. Every time I read a post about somebody finishing a quilt or curing the common cold while the family slumbered on, I think "how do they DO it all?" Sure wish I could be like that!! Here is a cute little ditty I read somewhere.........."O bed, o bed, delicious bed. Heaven on earth to the weary head." Nance
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  6:06:15 PM  Show Profile
I've never been a good sleeper. It has always been a problem. I function on very little but I know I need more, always need more but like jenny, I don't get it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  7:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
Since I work in an office all day I hate to come home, make dinner, do some chores and then hit the sack. So, I end up fiddling around until about midnight and then I'm up at 5. I need to be more intentional about how I spend my time in the evenings but as blessed as I am to have the job I do, I'd much rather be at home being domestic. That was my favorite job of all time. Instead of my 5-6 hours, my goal is to get at least 7 if for no other reason, the body and mind need time to rest and repair... if only there were time...

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Thank goodness I married someone w/ the same sleep patterns. We are each up at 5 and to bed or close to it usually by 9 -9:30.

Prety sad for a couple under 70.

But there mst be someting about this early to bed, early to rise, as last year neirher of us got sick.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Anna,

My DH and I can join you in the "under 70 and asleep by 9:30" club! We keep the same hours during the workweek, and by habit we wake up no later than 6:30 or so on weekends. It is a struggle to stay up later on the weekend nights, though!

I get 6 1/2 hours most nights, but I think I would function better on 7 or 7 1/2.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  3:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Me too! DH and I are the oldest young people we know. The alarm clock goes off at 5:30 and we're in bed by 9pm, usually both with a good book.
I find I need at least 7.5 hours of sleep. If not, I feel woozy and I always have a headache. My skin also looks sallow if I don't get enough zzzz's.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile
I have always needed 9+ hours of sleep...I can even go for more. If I am in bed by 9:30 I always make myself get up at 6:00 on weekdays and 7:00 on weekends. I know, I know, many of you have half your days work in by then! I have always admired the gals that seemed to have unending energy or could make themselves keep at it even when they don't. (but not making themselves ill)

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I just envy anyone with normal sleeping hours. I usually get about 6-7 hrs of sleep during the week. I work night shift on Friday, Sat, and Sun and usually don't get a nap before the first night so I'm up for around 24 hrs. I hate it but for until I can get a farming plan worked out, it's paying the bills.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  03:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see we aren't the only "youngest-old people"! Sleeping in on days off IS a challenge. Generally, sleeping in is NOT having to get up at 5 and waking up around 7:30. Any more than this and I'll get a headache and feel funky all day.

Had a laugh athubby's expense a few weeks ago. He didn't wake up 'till nearly 9!!! I found out when I got home after work. It was a cruddy day outside and raining, so he didn't have the sun to prompt a wake cycle.

They say if you wake up naturally the same time each day and don't need an alarm clock, that's plenty of sleep. Well, after this daylight savings deal, technically, I'm awake at 4 a.m.!!! I'll lay there and wait for the clock anyway...just as a prompt. That and the chickens are pretty reliable too, so if the clock batteries ever poop out, at least the chickens can be depended on! I've never checked but I think they start up somewhere around 4:45.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  05:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Now I know I not that strange!!!!
I go to bed at 9:00-9:30 and get up at 4:30.
My husband says he can't go to bed that early, so he usually pre-sleeps on the couch (watching tv thru his eyelids), then comes to bed and gets up at 5:30.
On the weekend I get up about an hour later, if that, my body starts to ache if I try to just lay there, so I know it's time to rise.
My husband will fight it and stay in bed as long as posible 9:00-10:00.
I just can't do it.
I will suffer all day if I do.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I find I need at least 8 hours, but feel best when I get 9. I've never had an easy time falling asleep. My mom worked the night shift when I was a baby and I usually didn't go to bed until 10 or so. Then in middle school, my body just couldn't adjust to getting up that early and I would get a terrible stomach ache every morning. My insomnia got even worse a few years ago when I began suffering from anxiety attacks and then depression. There were times I probably only slept an hour a night. Now I take Trazodone to help me sleep. I think I'd be able to sleep better on my own if I had more exercise and a little more sunshine (live in the basement!). I usually sleep from about 1, sometimes 2, until 10 or so. My boyfriend works second shift and works from 1:30 pm until whenever they're done which can be anywhere from 9-12:30, so I stay up with him. I work part time babysitting for someone who also works second shift, so that works out with my terrible sleep schedule! I've always envied morning people! And the "other thing" Frannie was talking about; puts him to sleep but wakes me up like a cupa coffee!
Sweet dreams!
Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  11:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Howdy ladies!
My first time back in almost a year. And here I am staying up WAY TOO LATE - reading up on all that I've missed. :) Frannie, I'm on my way to Ky. this summer - going back to live closer to family (my sister), & find affordable living. Which includes, of course, a little "farm" - if you can call 5 acres or so a farm. One of the main things I have been trying to work on the past few months is getting more sleep - which I find as a topic my first night back here. Seredipity! Unfortunately, I inheirted from my Father a need for 9 hours of sleep every night. Just feel really bad without it. Look like someone the cat drug in, too. Problem is, as a single Mom with 2 young children, I NEVER get that much sleep. I'm lucky to get 7. Which is how I became addicted to double lattes. Well, guess I'll try to hit the hay , now! I can tell I'm back where I should be..... And this is definitely worth staying up for!
Melanie
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic how much 'sleep' do YOU need? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page