Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 My black sex link chick is crowing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My black sex link chick is crowing Next Topic  

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  06:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I had my suspicions when two of the six chicks in my brooder that were supposed to be black sex links started developing combs at a very early age. This morning we heard that adolescent crow....oh no. Now what do I do?

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  07:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Paula
Oh no, so many males in the hatchlings it seems. Did you order them or were they from your girls and boys? I have quite a few chickens but I went ahead and ordered more female chicks to be delivered soon. I sure hope they all arrive and are females. Good luck with your Roos.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  08:29:34 AM  Show Profile
sex link hens are either black or red, roo's are white with some black and green tail and wing feathers...sexlink hens develop combs early, because they lay earlier than other breeds, and once in a while, hens will crow, they're just a little "macho"...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Tina you made my day!! I hope this is the case.
I was thinking that maybe some other little black chicks got mixed up in with the sex links in the boxes of chicks that came in for chick day at our feed store, and they might have turned out to be boys.

Thank you!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2013 :  09:35:51 AM  Show Profile
My black sex links are all girls, but they have combs too. Hopefully thats the case with yours. Too funny that one crows! We've been waiting for weeks to see if our Easter Egger rooster will start to crow. My husband brings up videos of roosters crowing on his phone and shows them to the rooster for inspiration!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My black sex link chick is crowing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page