lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  04:44:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm over the moon about the newest additions to our family--8 new bunnies!!! Born Saturday late afternoon. Mama is a white Californian breed with gray ears, feet, and tail, and Daddy is a beautiful sable/black dwarf breed. Kits are currently charcoal grey--can't wait to see how they "fur up" over the next couple of weeks.

They're just so stinkin' CUTE!!! 16 ears, 32 feet, 8 tails, 16 little eyes...oh my!

Happy Spring, Happy LIFE!!

Liz

Each one of you is precious. Remember who you are, and whose you are...

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  05:43:15 AM  Show Profile
We had pet rabbits when I as a kid. They are adorable and very smart. Enjoy your new family members! Pictures please when you get time.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  06:02:23 AM  Show Profile
oh happy days ahead for you. how fun

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Love it!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, all, for sharing the joy! I had rabbits as pets when I was just out of college, and loved them so...this is a happy memory reunion for me, and a chance to see little ones grow and change. Been there with chickens, goats, turkeys, and my cat Scout, but not newborn bunnies.

My face hurts from grinning.

LIz

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  9:11:53 PM  Show Profile
They sound adorable. Just bundles of fur! Enjoy.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Aw-w-w enjoy!

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  1:06:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh how cute!
Do u raise them and sell them? We got a rabbit last spring and love her. I was contemplating getting a male and breeding them one day.
Enjoy them...they are so cute when they are little!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  5:33:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie,

This is our first round of having little bunnies, so not sure where we'll end up. A couple weeks after my father passed away in Spring of 2012, my husband and I went to a livestock auction, and I ended up "rescuing" 4 of the bunnies because the conditions of the auction were deplorable. It felt comforting to have little ones to hold and care for at that time.

I didn't even know what genders I had until a few months ago--one of my co-workers used to raise rabbits, so she's my Muse and coach for this delightful experience.

Turns out the mama had 10, two didn't make it, and one really runty one is hanging on. It's a lively young-un, I will say that. I could sit for hours in front of the hutch and just watch them.

If you do decide to go the route of breeding, I've learned a few things with this batch--have a nesting box ready to go, and put it in the hutch about 2 weeks before you expect the doe to deliver. Let her take care of things the first few days, keeping her well-fed and the surroundings quiet. I'm convinced that I was way too interfering with the last litter, and none of them made it. This time I backed off, and the results are, well, I've got 8 bunnies that look really robust and lively. Would love to find 8 really good homes for them. But not right away...

Always nice to meet a fellow bunny-phile!

LIz

Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  6:23:15 PM  Show Profile
We have rabbits here also. My daughter shows them in 4-H. They are not the meat breeds, but you can eat all rabbit.. They are Himalayans, one of the oldest natural breeds in the world. They are so sweet natured and easy tempered, except a mama with her babies! You dont mess with mama!! :) Im putting up a pic so you can see what they look like! I love them!

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  5:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer--your bunnies are precious!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Update on our 8--they're all thriving, even the runty little guy (gal?) that climbs over its siblings whenever I open the door to the hutch to check on them. Mama is getting more trusting and also protective, but she's nice about it. I take good care of her and Daddy--dandelion greens are Everywhere on our property, so she always gets fresh handfuls when I go out to visit her and the kits. My co-workers are eager for me to bring them into the office, when the time is right. Of course, we'll not get much done that day...no complaints here!

Liz

If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "thank you", that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Baby bunnies!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page