MrsTracy
True Blue Farmgirl

145 Posts

Tracy
Beaufort South Carolina
USA
145 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  12:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I've suffered from`neck and upper back pains for the past few years. Two weeks ago I did an MRI and today I got the results. I'm going to need surgery.

The doctor should me the image and it shows that I have no fluid to protect my spine from the base of my neck to my upper back (C2 through C5). One good slip, fall or accident could actually paralyze me.

I'm pragmatic. I'd rather loose a significant amount of range of motion than no motion at all. The surgery will keep me in the hospital about 2 days and it will be about 3 months of recuperation time.

Looks like I'll be scheduling it the second week in June, after our son's graduation and our guest leave. I guess I should be nervous but I'm not. Just don't like the looks of this MRI...

Aspiring Titus II and Proverbs 31 Lady.

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  1:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Praying and wishing you good luck with your surgery. I am sure you will feel so much better afterwards. Please keep us posted.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Tracy,
It sounds like the surgery is definatly necessary! I understand the "not nervous" thing though. It is somewhat scary, but not as scary as the alternative! Sometimes all we can do is trust and pray and that is enough! My DH had back surgery about 30 years ago. Its amazing how much medical knowledge has changed in that time. What left him with an 8" scar now would only take little slits.

You will have our thoughts and prayers with you. It's good that you can schedule after your son's graduation. Its hard to imagine getting ready for that big day when you are recuperating. Be sure to follow the doctor's orders then!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

MrsTracy
True Blue Farmgirl

145 Posts

Tracy
Beaufort South Carolina
USA
145 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  07:54:09 AM  Show Profile
I was so shocked that I didn't get the correct name, smh... I'm having a spinal fusion and interior cervical decompression. You know what I got out of all that? NO COFFEEEEEE!!!! I can't have caffeine for two weeks before until the end of August!!! They better give me some stuff to keep me sleep til then is all I can say!

Aspiring Titus II and Proverbs 31 Lady.
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  4:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Tracy,

Boy howdy can I relate the no coffee thing! I had an irregular heartbeat situation and the doctor told me no coffee or red wine for a month. I'm proud of myself for not smacking him right then and there :) Maybe the desire to smack a medical professional for some rather mild advice was a little hint to cut back on the coffee.

His suggestion was to immediately start drinking half caffeine coffee so the transition to zero caff would not be a 'cold turkey' kind of thing, and that really helped.

Good luck with your surgery-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Tracy,
I will be praying for you. For the surgery and the caffeine issue. I drink a lot and I mean A LOT of black tea. Dr. told me a cup of black tea has more caffeine than a cup of coffee. It is very hard to get off it. I get headaches but I think weaning yourself off as was suggested is an excellent idea. You will probably feel better for not having it after a while.

~Cindy that made me giggle just picturing slapping the Dr.

hugs,
Denise

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  06:19:09 AM  Show Profile
I will pray, too, Tracy! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looks Like Surgery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page