quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone use epsom salts in their gardens? My husband came home from his Saturday breakfast at the diner this morning with the guys telling me about it. He said he was told that alot of the local Mennonites use it and their gardens are always so lush and beautiful. Then I read about it on line. Wondered if any of you have heard of it or tried it.

Barb

at

Breezy Acres Farm

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  6:54:26 PM  Show Profile
here is a link I found several months ago ... was going to give it a try myself.
http://www.saltworks.us/gardening-with-epsom-salt.asp?mkwid=sAHr5a9jA&pcrid=7341695762&gclid=CLq_k57uxa4CFQ4EQAodGhW4Zw

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile
I have always used them around my roses, they are lush green with huge flowers...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  7:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Epsom salt is often used to correct magnesium or sulphur deficiencies in the soil. We typically dissolve it in water and sprinkle it on the soil in the plant's root zone.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I use it around the base of my peppers and mix with water to use as a spray on their leaves! :)

Thanks for sharing the link, Teri! I can't wait to check it out!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  7:47:38 PM  Show Profile
yep, I use ES around my tomatoes....

I also make a 'foot soak of 4parts ES, 1part Early Grey tea (I buy it loose, but you can cut open tea bags to get the tea as well)
and 1part lavender buds... mix together and store in a canning or other cute jar...
Then I use a re-useable cloth bag, fill 2/3 (or 2-3 Tblsp) w/the mixture... put it in a foot soak tub with warm/hot water... kick back and let your tootsies go AHHHHHH!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  05:11:42 AM  Show Profile
Interesting link. I will be giving Epsom Salt a try too.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  04:20:20 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading about it on pintrest. I don't have good luck with peppers, so have thought about trying it. Some say to put on ground, other say spray on leaves. Just not sure what method would be best
Michele
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  07:06:40 AM  Show Profile
WOW -- I have never heard of this either and never would have thought to use it with plants. Amazing! I'm with ya'll,,,, I must try this! It sure is a slow start for growing season around here in CO though. It's been a chilly morning since 5, but when the clock turned to 8, the sun has finally begun to shine. I start my took two weeks off of work today (yep, a staycation!)and get the garden in gear. Little seedlings are popping their heads up in the flower beds, so I better get busy and get those little starter veggies guys into the ground, too. Happy growing, ladies! :) Thanks for the Epsom Salt idea -- I have lots of that on hand -- YEAH!! :) PS: Grace, I agree -- the feet love it and I think after I share it with the flowers and veggies, my feet are going to get a dose tonight, too. ;)
It is so fun to hear about all kinds of things here at MJF with all of you. Thanks for being out there and for always sharing.
Hugs,
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  11:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
I sprinkle ES around the base of my tomatoes... just a small handful every couple weeks... seems to work for me.... and then after a vigorous day of gardening I soak my tootsies in a ES,tea/lavender mix... so not only are my tomatoes perkie but so are my tootsies! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile
Do you think this will work to keep those nasty cut worms away? I'm dying to try this on my garden. My chickens were loose in my garden until I started planting, and they ate just about everything they could dig up. When I do find one, I always give it to them. I know how great it makes me feel in the tub. Maybe it will help my veggies. I'm all in for that.
Thanks for the info.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Grace-that just makes me smile, feed the plants and soak the toes! ha
Michele
Go to Top of Page

quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  5:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I am experimenting with it this year to see if seems to make a difference. I put it around the brocolli and eggplants and the new raspberry bed so far. It can't hurt to try! It will be interesting to see what the rest of you think after trying it. The foot soaks are a great idea too! Really cold here this week end. I hope to get the rest of the garden planted if the sun comes out and warms up a bit.

Barb

at

Breezy Acres Farm
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Last year my tomatoes had brown spots on the bottom. I read somewhere that if I used Epsom salts, it would help. I sprinkled some around the base of my plants, and low and behold, no more spots on my tomatoes!!! Also, my green peppers were full of blooms, and no peppers would form. I also sprinkled salts around the bases of them, and within weeks they started to grow peppers. I definitely will use in my garden this year!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sandylee
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

sandy
sunset south carolina
USA
127 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  09:02:28 AM  Show Profile
If anyone has peonies, I would love to trade or buy them !
Thanks Sandy

"You don't need alot of money to lead a rich life. Good friends and a loving family are worth their weight in gold."

For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalms 100:5
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  02:32:50 AM  Show Profile
the salt also kills slugs.

Connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ - Soap & Candle
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ -Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ - FOR SALE: Vintage Sewing Machines, Parts, Crafts and more.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  05:47:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm all in for anything that,ills slugs!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  7:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Did someone say you could use this for roses? I will have to look this up so I know how much and in what form. Thanks for the info!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

MayFay
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Stephanie
MO
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  05:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I used some on my garden this weekend for the first time and I was amazed at how happy my plants looked the very next day! Not knowing exactly what I was doing, I just sprinkled some on the ground around all my plants (flowers, vegetables, fruit tree) and watered it in. It is good stuff! Thanks for this thread.

Farmgirl Sister #5093

Edited by - MayFay on May 28 2013 05:42:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  2:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I don't have a large garden (the property is surrounded by 30+ year old oak trees with so much shade, there's little room to grow a full garden) so we have raised beds placed in one of the few areas with good sunlight, set in a pattern I found in a P. Allen Smith book. Anyway...we put in 3 varieties of peppers, which started yellowing within 2 days...*gah! They dropped all their bottom leaves the first week and I was in a panic till I tried 2 Tbsps Epsom Salts dissolved in 1 gallon of water, applied one week apart. Now, one week later, the peppers have started to replace the leaves that were lost and while they aren't flowering yet, I have hope they'll survive to set fruit before the end of the season. My squash plants were experiencing much the same phenomenon of leaf-yellowing and loss, so I used the epsom salts there as well, and they flowered within a week and have started greening up again. I know my soil was not quality and I'll make sure I'm better prepared next season, have my compost riddled and ready, but if you have poor soil, your plants will show stress and the epsom salts really compensate for poor nutrients in the soil.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..•´ Chandra-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64
Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Edited by - MasterGardener on Jun 03 2013 2:48:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile
I sprinkled a couple of handfuls around my strawberry plants & I do notice less berries being half eaten. Hoping it helps for the rest of my plants too.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Epsom salts in the garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page