Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Meat chickens as pets Next Topic  

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile
I received by accident 3 meat (only wanted layers) Cornish Rock chickens and 3 red pullets (although they are all white??) from the Tractor Supply Co. They are about 7 weeks old and the Cornish Rock are huge. I've done research and know the pros and cons of trying to keep them as pets, as they die often from their obesity. I will never eat them as I am a vegetarian, but don't want them to suffer. Does anyone have any experience with them. I'm new to all this. BTW, all are doing well together and the large ones are not very aggressive as long as they get enough food. Any thoughts? Jan

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile
jumbo cornish crosses will start having leg/hip problems as they grow, when they will get to a point of not being able to get up or walk, if you know someone that would want them as meat birds, you should let them go...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  2:32:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm afraid you are right. Thanks for being honest.
quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

jumbo cornish crosses will start having leg/hip problems as they grow, when they will get to a point of not being able to get up or walk, if you know someone that would want them as meat birds, you should let them go...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  7:22:44 PM  Show Profile
i had an escapee broiler hen from the commercial houses next to us. i named her miss chicken and was the first chicken we had here at our farm. she turned out to be a pretty cool pet. she walked like a sumo wrestler though. i noticed that she was limping one day and actually took her to the vet. she was like 14 pounds! i put her on a diet and gave her calcium/phosphorus tabs to help her tendons, etc. she lost weight and did better and she even gave us eggs. she lived like 4 years. shes buried out under the pines by my garden. she was pretty special considering she she escaped on the day that they were emptying the barns and loading the birds on the semi to take to the processing plant. shed been injured at some point and one of my dogs came carting her home. i thought she was dead and the next thing i know shes up walking around!

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  04:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Renee, same thing happened to me years ago when we lived near a chicken operation. I had laying hens at the time and a neighbor asked if this white chicken was mine. It wasn't but I knew where she came from. So I kept her. I had to lift the poor chicken up into the coop because she couldn't get up the one step. But the other chickens picked on her so much. And one day they just pecked her to death. It was sad but that's the way chickens are. She could hardly walk and the others thought she was a sick chicken I guess.

Someone had an ad on CL last week for free meat birds. They said they knew they were meat birds, but just couldn't actually butcher them. People get these chicks at Easter or around chick getting time at the feed stores and then they realize what they are. I got about 20 last year this way. Like I've said before, these stores need to educate people before they buy chicks or rabbits or ducks and let them know what they're getting into. Just because they're cute and fluffy now, or your kids just want one, they need to know what they grow up to be. And really fast too.

But good for you for taking these birds. I know they'll have a great life with you there. But you probably know what the outcome will be soon.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  06:12:58 AM  Show Profile
yes i agree about the picking. my others did peck her good one day, but i rescued her and she got her own pen from then on. she seemed pretty happy though. the nice thing was if i had another chicken that was getting picked on, i could put them in with her and she never bothered them. its like they formed a truce or something.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  5:35:55 PM  Show Profile
i have 8 of the hens and a rooster. they do well out running free. yes they waddle. LOL they get a lot of excercise wandering the farm. we gather their eggs up. we have a friend hatching birds for me right now. i trade farm food and soap. its working great we have about 50 layers that are feathering out nice. we moved the chicken tractor to pasture this week. the old hens are in there now. it is completely enclosed.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Meat chickens as pets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page