LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  06:53:25 AM  Show Profile
I really want to try recipes out with pumpkin. How do I use fresh pumpkin? My Mom never did any thing pumpkin, except pies from cans. So I have no idea how to use fresh pumpkin. I have been slowly learning how to bake/cook so many different things and really enjoy learning new processes and ingredients. So my post is asking for recipes for fresh pumpkin, including how to prepare the fresh cut pumpkin for different recipes. I would appreciate any type of recipe; pie, bread, pastry, cookie, anything else you can use pumpkin for! Thanks Ladies!!!
~Liz

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  07:53:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Liz! Pumpkin is really easy, you just cut it up and bake it like squash. I always put it in a large baking dish with about an inch of water in the bottom and seal up the whole thing with
alum.foil. Bake at 350-400 for 1/2hr- 45 minutes. Uncover let cool and scoop out all that delicious pumpkin. You can freeze it chunky at this point, put it through the food processor to get it smooth for pie or soup,use a mixer to whip it w/butter, garlic,scallions like mashed potatoes.Do not leave the skin on because I think it makes the pulp taste bitter but that's just my opinion. Don't forget to roast the seeds too! If you freeze some you will always have it on hand for pies, breads and whatever pumpkin recipe your heart desires! I don't can pumpkin, I use it all up in the fall! If you have any q's, email me!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Oct 20 2006 07:55:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  10:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Bramble do you grow a specific type of pumpkin for baking/cooking? The ones I have grown just can't be baked by the method you describe...they end up just way too watery. I just cut them up into large chunks, put them on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake slowly face up so as to evaporate some of the water in them.
Like you, I don't leave the skin on them when I prepare them for freezing. I just peel it off once it's baked, puree it and then put 2 cups of puree per freezer bag so I know exactly how much to defrost depending on what I'm baking.
This year for fun I grew some of the little "Snack Jack" pumpkins, the naked seed ones. They really do produce seeds you don't have to hull!! Not wanting to waste the pumpkin I'd cut open to retreive the seeds, I just baked it and used it as a vegetable to go with supper. It was delicious!
Di
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  1:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I bought two sugar pumpkins at the farmer's market on wednesday, and brought them home to bake. I cut mine in half, clean out seeds and strings, then bake facedown on a cookie sheet. But the flesh of one of the pumpkins turned out all stringy! I don't like it at all. I put it in the freezer anyway, but I'm wondering if there is any hope for it. Can I still puree it?

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Robin, some of my sugar pumpkins are stringy and I put them through the food processor with no problems whatsoever. I measure out 1 cup blobs of purreed pumpkin on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Then I have ready made pumpkin for breads later on. For fresh pumpkin I LOVE this pumpkin rigatoni recipe.
I cut a pumpkin in half. scoop out all the seeds. cut it again and then peel the rind off. Chop it up in good size chunks. Add some carrots and a Tbsp butter and tsp sugar and thyme in a covered roasting pan. cook for 30 - 45 minutes. In the meantime cook up some andouillie sausage with onions and garlic. Sometimes I add some fresh tomatoes too..just a few... When the carrots and pumpkin are soft..even a little mashed is fine, mix with the sausage and add some cream, salt and pepper to taste..pour over rigatoni or any other pasta you have lying around! YUMMMMMMY...I'm making it for a party we're having on Sunday..delicious!!

Pumpkin is also wonderful cooked exactly like I mentioned above and pour over steamed chard/kale etc and pour a peanut sauce over it.. YUMMERS!!

let me know if you want others!!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  2:27:56 PM  Show Profile
I have always used pie pumpkins when available but I will use any pumpkin in a pinch. There is a little difference, not enough to not cook whatever it is I'm making.
My son, who goes to the CIA, made risotto with pumpkin cut in chunks and then topped off each serving with the toasted seeds. It tasted just Amazing!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pumpkins, need help.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page