Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Does anyone have a great Pizza Crust recipe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone have a great Pizza Crust recipe? Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  8:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone:

I really like making my own homemade pizza crust (it's frugal too) and I'm kind of tired of my ole standby. Does anyone have a great pizza crust recipe that you would like to share? What kind of pizza pan do you use?

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  9:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I have 2 that i like. The first and easiest is from the Tightwad Gazette.
1/2 to 3/4 cup of warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 pkt yeast (or 1 Tbl. dry)
1 tsp sugar
2 cups flour
1 Tbl oil
1/2 tsp salt
Mix 1/4 cup of the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl and let stand 5 min. till bubbly. put flour, oil and salt in a food processor and process abou five seconds with a steel blade. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and process about 10 seconds or until blended. Turn on the processor and drizzle just enough of the remaining water thru the feed tube so the dough forms a ball. Process the ball around about 25 times. Turn the dough out onto greased cookie sheet and place a bowl over it for 10 minutes. Then roll your dough out as usual and top. Backe at 425 for 15-20 min.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Allow to rest 5 min Stir in whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, and 1 cup unbleached white flour. Knead in remaining white flour by hand: about 5 min till dough is smooth and elastic. Grease a bowl and place dough in bowl, turning to coat thoroughly. Cover and allow to rie in a warm, draft free place 15 min. Grease pizza pans and stretch pizza crust to fit pan and top as desired. Preheat oven to 425 and bake until cheese is melted and crust is browned.

I do find that the whole wheat crust has more of a bread like texture than the first recipe does, but i like them both.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  10:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh!!! Me, me!!! I make pizza every week and this recipe is the BEST:

1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or just use 1 pkg if that's how you buy it)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
2 1/2 cups flour plus more as needed
2 tsp salt

Proof yeast in warm water with sugar. Mix with buttermilk, and oil. Add flour, then salt. Knead until smooth. Or cheat like me and use the kitchenaid with the dough hook attachment for about 7 minutes. Dough will be sticky, but you can add enough additional flour to peel it out of the bowl. Let rise 60 minutes in a well-oiled bowl or put it in the refrigerator all day while you are doing your other baking. I use a perforated pizza pan at 500 degrees to get a nice crispy (read: sometimes burnt) crust. This recipe also makes an amazing calzone!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  05:04:36 AM  Show Profile
Mine is pretty simple, six ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour (your choice, I mix whole wheat and bread flour)
1 T oil (olive, canola, grapeseed)
1 T yeast
1 c. water
1 T honey
1 t. salt

Put in bread machine on dough cycle until ready.

Sometimes I add basil or oregano or both, sometimes pressed garlic, sometimes garlic powder, sometimes garlic flavored oil (are you getting the picture? You can never have too much garlic) but the basic recipe doesn't change. Sometimes if I want a fluffier crust I add a teaspoon or so of dough enhancer (from King Arthur's flour, it's basically gluten and ascorbic acid, I think)

I spread this out and bake it on a baking stone for 10 minutes at 400 degrees then take it out and put the toppings on, then bake for another 10 minutes or until the pizza is done.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 20 2006 6:16:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  05:27:56 AM  Show Profile
These recipes look really good. Looks like I'll be trying them all this winter! When we do buy take out pizza on Friday night, you are lucky to have your pizza within 90 minutes at our favorite pizza place!! Keep them coming.

Doglady

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile
I have a great little pamplet style book a friend gave me years ago that I love! The best crust in it is -Chicago-Style Deep Dish Crust:

1pk active dry yeast
1 Cup warm water
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 tsp salt
4 Tblsp Olive Oil
Mix yeast and water, let dissolve. combine all ingredients in lg bowl, adding flour a llittle at a time. Mix until it pulls away from sides of bowl. turn onto slightly foured surface-knead until it isn't sticky-10 minutes or so. put dough into oiled bowl-cover with plastic wrap and let rise. Punch it down when it has doubled in size. Oil and then dust a deep dish pizza pan with cornmeal. Work and roll dough to round shape. Place in pan and stretch/pinch dough up sides of pan, let rise 15 minutes-Preheat oven to 450 degrees. place sauce and ingredients into crust and bake 10-12 minutes, until dough and cheese is set-bake 10 minutes longer to crisp up crust.------makes 2- 12 inch crusts.

I love this!! I also do a scratch chicago style sauce that is fabulous but I can't find the recipe right now, email me if you want it and I'll try and dig it up. I missed Chicago style pizza so much when we were in California so my neighbor on base found this great pizza pamplet at a thrift store for me, it sure did the trick!

~Liz
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:43:29 AM  Show Profile
This is my absolute favorite!! It is also yeast free and can be made in minutes, no waiting on rising and such!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

YEAST FREE PIZZA CRUST & HOMEMADE PIZZA

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Mix flour, salt, baking powder and water. Knead on floured counter just
until workable and spreadable, about 2 minutes. Put on pizza pan, with
fingers spread vegetable oil on crust (helps so tomato sauce won't soak in
crust) then put tomato sauce on, then meat of your choice, then pizza
seasoning, next put on mushrooms and cheese on top. Bake at 425 degrees
for 20 minutes.

I use a half a batch for about a 14 inch pizza, but we like really thin crust. I use just a plain ol' metal pizza pan. I have a baking stone, but I have not found a way to transfer homemade pizza to it with out making a big mess. I do like the stone for other baking.

I use this recipe so often that it is taped on my kitchen wall!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarah, I've been looking for a good wheat crust, can't wait to try it!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  05:38:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes. We are saving our pizza money tonight and making our own!

Doglady

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm glad that you asked about the pizza recipe. My daughter works at a Bistro and brings home wonderful pizza. We have been trying to duplicate them without much success. We will try the recipes that are suggested here.

thank you,
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  6:38:20 PM  Show Profile
WOW! The first pizza recipe that I tried tonight was from Liz. There was enough to make a very small Stromboli as well. A nice thin crust and the recipe performed exactly as you said it would. I used an aluminum pan but I am looking for a professional steel (I think) pizza pan. The kind they use in the pizza shops. The family thanks you ; ) I can't wait to try another one next week. I think I'll try the one with buttermilk next week. I plan to try them all!!!

Doglady

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone have a great Pizza Crust recipe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page