Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  07:46:21 AM  Show Profile
I know this is a hard question but have you ever had a friend in hospice care? A former co-worker has just decided to enter hospice care. She has fought bout after bout of cancer with courage and grace for 10-15 years. The word is that somedays she would welcome visitors, to call first. I don't want to intrude on family time though. I have a beautiful card I am sending today, telling her what a positive effect she has had on so many of us. What, besides prayer, would you do?

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile
I worked in hospic care for many years, you will not find a more dedicated team of nurse's and caretakers. In my opinion they are the BEST of the best ...
I also had one of my very best friends in MA. in hospic care, she had ALS ... and although her mind was still sharpe she could not communicate. But, this did not stop friends from sitting with her.
If this person is a really good friend, I would call and ask the family if you could come sit with your friend. The family might welcome you, for a little break for them ... as well as just letting them know what she meant to you.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I think Teri has given you an excellent idea. Speaking from experience of being with someone who is ill with cancer, I know a break is welcomed at times.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  2:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Teri, I had a friend that was dying with cancer and hospice came and they were there for every thing she needed night and day, and it wasn't easy because my friend was a large person but they were there for her.
It helped my friend to know that we were there to visit and be with her at that time too because it helped her be calmer and be more relaxed knowing we all loved her. I think it is good for everyone involved. For my friend her family wasn't close by so the rest of us were there for her but It would be good to ask if the family is there if it is ok for you to be there as well.
blessings
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  2:53:03 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I worked as an RN in Hospice care for 11 years. IT is OK to call the family and see if the patient is accepting visitors. If she is, I bet she would love to see you for a nice visit. Patients usually love visitors if they are up to it and they will let you know if you just ask. Cards and prayers are always nice but nothing replaces a real visit!
Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  5:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Susan,
I agree with what all the ladies here are saying. If you can call the family and just check in and see what kind of day your friend is having, then they can certainly tell you "Yes today is a good day" or No, today is not a good day, but by all means keep trying. from my personal experience, there are good and bad days, but most people in Hospice welcome the idea of company and the chance to interact with friends and loved ones as much as possible as long as they are feeling up to it.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  7:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Susan,
My mother was a Hospice patient at the end of her life and long, long, long battle with a type of leukemia. Hospice IS THE BEST!!! They were LIFESAVERS for us . . they take care of the patient AND their family. And, I know I/we would have welcomed anyone close to my mom to come and visit (I'm sure we probably did too). I know it would have been a bright moment, an encouragement. So, I would say ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Call, go, follow your heart!
My prayers are with you in this situation!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  05:21:58 AM  Show Profile

Susan,

So sad that this is happening. I think these sweet and caring ladies have given you a lot of wonderful advice. I remember in 2002 my dad was very ill for 6 weeks before he went home to be with the Lord. We sat with him 24/7 at the hosptial. It was so nice when someone came by to visit. Even if only for a brief moment, it gave us time to get our mind on something else, time to take a short walk to collect our thoughts or maybe step out to get a bite to eat or drink. If you are even remotely close to this family, all your efforts to help will be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  8:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I would ask if she needs magazines to read. Or, she may enjoy playing a board game. I will keep your friend in my prayers. Teri! I bet you were one great hospice worker. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  04:22:36 AM  Show Profile
Marly,
worked for a VNA for over 20 years!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  08:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. All the good intentions don't mean much until we act on them!
Marly, I like the ideas of magazines and games. I had thought about games and also thought of taking a pretty flowering plant. Cut flowers just die, a living plant could make her smile. I'd rather share flowers now than at a funeral!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  10:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Very true Cindy Lou.
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  3:33:44 PM  Show Profile
I was with an alheimzers patient in her home I took care of her for three years, I stayed days and another lady stayed night. When she wanted ice cream I said is the Dairy Queen calling your name. She laughed. Her daughter thought that was hilarious. When she passed away, her daughter told me thank you for giving mother a happy life in such horrible situation. I was so sad for a while after she passed. I still put flowers on her grave. I miss her. They just want someone to careful and give them hugs. And I did.

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Hospice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page