soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile
So I've finally gotten the hang of using my pressure canner. I LOOOOOVE IT!

However...

I'm having trouble keeping the pressure regulated. Like I have to check that darn gauge every 5 minutes or so. Fortunately, I know how to multi-task with small amounts of time, but it's really a pain in the behind. I'm thinking I need to have the gauge recalibrated. If this is the case, I will have to purchase a new gauge because there is no one in driving distance of my house to fix this. And no, not even at our extension office. The closest canning person used to be nearly 2-hour-drive away, and that person no longer is in that county's office.

Question is this: can someone please either confirm my suspicion, or tell me what else this could be.

And thank you!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  6:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a gas or electric stove? Electric stoves are a lot harder to maintain pressure with.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  6:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, watching the gauge comes with the territory. Not to say that you shouldn't get your gauge checked to be sure it's reading correctly, because you should.

But that's not why the pressure goes up and down.

It happens on electric stoves, gas stoves, wood stoves, propane stoves.... some more than others. It's a constant process of monitoring... unless you get really good at listening to the weight bobble back and forth. Which I am not. I just keep an eye on the gauge, but if the weight really starts rocking, I know it's getting too much pressure. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  05:14:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm using a gas stove. My canner has to straddle two burners because it is so big.

The first time I used it, I was able to get it to sit at 13 lbs. of pressure consistently. I know it's supposed to be 11 lbs., but I figured at 13, I'd met the minimum, and it was consistent (so everything would cook the way it should).

These last 2 times, I've had the pressure bounce everywhere between 9 and 15 pounds. It's up and down, and just when I think I've got it settled, it spikes.

Maybe I'm just worried about nothing?

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  1:53:02 PM  Show Profile
So you're not going to believe this. Galloping Gerty is sitting quite contedly at 11.5 pounds. Seriously.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canner Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page