Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Please Talk To Me About Ground Cherries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Please Talk To Me About Ground Cherries Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile

Hi girls -

I've never had a ground cherry, I've never had experience with them; but oh do they sound interesting! Are they good?

We have a very small yard, taken up mostly by my garden and our pool. I really would like to grow more fruit to put up for the winter, but have such limited space. We have lots of room in our flower garden in the front, and I am thinking the ground cherries might be very good in there since they are hearty (will survive our winters) and are spreaders. But I've also heard that the leaves are toxic, as well as the fruit until it ripens. Our home is close to the sidewalk, and people love letting their dogs roam through the front yards when walking them in the summer. I sure don't want to harm any animals.

What is your experience with them? What do they taste like? Are they really easy to grow? How quickly do they grow? How do you eat them/cook them? How versatile are they? Do they keep well? I've heard conflicting reports... Any special considerations? What do you think - would they be okay to grow out front, or should I reserve a place for them out back?

Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated! And if you have any other fruit recommendations I'm all ears! I did have an apple tree for a while, but the only place to grow it was out front, and passersby stole all the fruit before it was even ripe enough to eat! Plus the tree ended up not being able to survive the winters. I would love to do grapes or even a blueberry hedge, but my hubby isn't going for it at all. Gotta work on him a little more for that one. He grew up with a grapevine laden fence, and just doesn't want to deal with snakes or bird droppings everywhere. <sigh> My city boy...

Thanks so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile
I ordered a pack of these seeds from Bakers Creek this year. I'm curious too, but have never grown them before.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  8:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Interesting topic, Nini! I went and googled "ground cherries" and found this site, which you might not have seen. It seems to have a lot of useful info.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/ground-cherries
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Please Talk To Me About Ground Cherries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page