Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 need a snake catcher ...any suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic need a snake catcher ...any suggestions? Next Topic  

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  7:05:01 PM  Show Profile
i am TERRIFIED of snakes. this spring it seems like we have a plethora of snakes on our property. it is to the point that i am afraid to walk through my yard. one of my friends said that roosters are good snake catchers...is this true? if not, what other recommendations do you have for ridding about 2 acres of snakes?

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  7:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Peacocks, Guinea hens Both very noisy and kinda dirty but will take care on snakes. There is a chemical too. They don't like going over it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Renee,
I know EXACTLy what you mean. We have them here too. I have not found a solution yet other than having my husband or son taking care of them. I love to be outside but I am always on the lookout. I won't go out when the guys aren't here. Guess I am a big chicken. We have had snakes in the chicken coop so I am not to sure about the rooster thing. I know they have those fake owls you can put up but I don't know if they really work or not.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

teacups
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

terri
bryans road maryland
USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  11:04:01 AM  Show Profile
I get black snakes in my chicken coop all the time too. My weapon of choice (if he is home)is my neighbor. He comes over and catches them and takes them away and releases them. If he is not around and I have an aggressive one, the next weapon is a shovel. I try not to kill any of them, but there have been a few that I could not get out of the coop and was not afraid of me. Usually they will try to get away. Mating season is not a good time to try the catch and release, unless you really know what you are doing because they are pretty aggressive. They sure do love the chicken eggs. They supposedly do not like the smell of moth balls, but we put them under the coop where the chickens could not get to, and that was where the snakes would go hide. So I don't think they really work.
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile
I have had that battle with a snake in the chicken coop, it would eat the eggs, and it killed one baby goose. I had two roosters and three adult geese at the time, I tried the wooden eggs trick in all kinds of ways, nothing worked but the gun. I now have two of the best barn cats ever, we actually saw them chase off a water moccasin. I don't see snakes around the barn at all, and I know my two "bad boys" as I call them, are the reason why.

Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  06:04:58 AM  Show Profile
If you sprinkle sulfa (a yellow looking powder) around where you want to keep them out, this usually workds. It will have a lite sulfa smell for a day or two but that goes away. My mother in law uses it and it works!!

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  06:25:20 AM  Show Profile
My Queens bulldog is a great snake catcher. Her name is Patches. I swear she can smell them. She has been bit 7 times by a water moccassin and lived through all of them. She just killed a rat snake in the garage Friday. I hate snakes. That's just personally me. So it does not bother me that she kills them. She also kills every rat or mice she can get a hold of. She is starting to get old now so she is not as fast on her feet like she use to be. But she still keeps those pesty snakes away. They give me the willies!!!!!!

Love my Patches.......

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  12:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Aw she is beautiful Dorinda. Though I don't think she likes the camera much.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  4:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Patches is 2 for one. Does the dog and cat job. What a great dog! I don't doubt that she can smell them. Snakes are a little stinky. I can smell them when I am around them. For the most part I like snakes as long as they aren't a problem and I don't want poisonous ones around. We don't have many snakes here, it is too cold and dry. We only have rattlers, bull snakes and garter snakes.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  4:40:27 PM  Show Profile
my barn cat got killed a year ago in february and this year has been the worst for snakes...i wonder if she hunted snakes as well as vermin? now that i think about it, it makes sense. sometimes we get garter snakes in the basement and my kitties usually take care of them for me...maybe we need another barn cat...

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  05:58:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, Rene, I feel for you! (shudder) I hate snakes! Fortunately, we only get garter snakes where I live. My kitten found one last summer and was dragging it around with the snake's head in its mouth. OMG, that freaked me out!

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile
We have rattlesnakes in MI too. Not common, but I have seen them. Corn snakes, or red rat snakes, too. Turkies might eat snakes. We had a husky when I was a little girl who did. I don't mind snakes as long as they are not aggressive.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12201-32995--,00.html

Elizabeth

From childhood's hour I have not been as others were...
"Alone" Edgar Allen Poe
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic need a snake catcher ...any suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page