Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  7:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay so this isn't really a health issue but does anyone have a good remedy for split ends?

I just trimmed my hair and have already been discovering split ends!

I use Panteen Smooth and Sleek shampoo and conditioner. Any ideas?

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  04:51:27 AM  Show Profile
If you're already conditioning, I'd suggest two things.

One is to brush your hair starting at the ends, and then work your way up. Harsh brushing or combing can cause split ends. When you find a tangle, take it apart gently with your fingers rather than pull through it. Buy brushes that have flexible bristles. Natural materials such as boar bristles do a better job of distributing your natural oils to the ends. You might even invest in one of the slippery products containing hydrolyzed silk. If your hair is very long, or tangles easily, this would be a godsend. We use these things a lot for the horses. Imagine taking care of a real ponytail that's five feet long!

Also, nourish your hair from the inside out. Making sure you have a diet rich in biotin and the amino acid methionine can help increase the strength of the hair. Of course, you have to take it for a long time for the better quality hair to reach the ends. But it's worth it. You can also take supplements for this. Again, we do this for the horses, for better hair and hooves.

And make sure that when you're out in the wind, you use something to secure your hair. Use scruncis instead of rubber bands, or even tie on a headscarf. The less it tangles, the less you need to brush it; and the less likelihood you'll have of split ends.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  06:19:04 AM  Show Profile
It's probably not pc but Paul Mitchell's Super Charged conditioner works well for me.The hairdresser can always tell when I've switched to something different. I just use a small amount , run it through while in the shower and rinse it out at the end. It is nice and light but does a nice job of controlling massive amounts of very fine hair and no split ends.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  08:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Mary Ann is right, diet is key, but if you are looking for a strong natural conditioner...try henna. I have very fine hair and it is the only thing that keeps it from being a compleat mess. You can buy the henna in a colored or colorless formula.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Mine used to split really badly when I swam every day in college. Discovered Albrey Organics line of pool chemical and salt water removal shampoos and made the switch to scrunchies instead of elastic.

Don't laugh, but I also use a wholistic brand of dog shampoo. People can use it and it smells great. My hair responds to this like no other. It rinses clean and leaves my hair very soft. Look up Cloudstar.com.

I took the plunge and ordered a wood bristle brush. It's called a WIDU. The small ones go for 30.00 and the bigger ones for thicker hair go for close to 50!! It's an outrageous price, I know, but brushing one's hair is actually pain free and quicker with one of these. I try and go back to the synthetic kinds and it hurts too much.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  2:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Alee, funny timing... I now have a new hairdresser who told me never use conditioner, as it has wax in it, and keeps the oil from the scalp from reaching the hair. Hair is made with a shingle type exterior, and conditioner does slick down the shingles so a comb can get through it. She said to use a shampoo where sodium laurel sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate is not the first ingredient, but rather is down the list, as they're detergents and strip hair of oil. I use "Aloe 80", for instance, with aloe, then water, then sodium laurel. Natural oils need to reach through all your hair, even to the ends. To quote her, " stop washing your hair every day, and use a brush like crazy on your scalp just before you do wash it; brush the snot out of it." The entire room was filled with laughter. She also said to use a spray-on product by Bumble and Bumble, called Styling Lotion, which does help the combing process, as well as cause those hair shingle things to close up. I am sure there are other styling/combing products out there without wax at a better price. When I see her again, I'll ask and get back to you. Split ends are the pits!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Split ends? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page