Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Farming is hard. But I LOVE it! (Lots of pics)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farming is hard. But I LOVE it! (Lots of pics) Next Topic
Page: of 2

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  10:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,,
not only should we (farm girls) smell like dirt... but we should have the 'dirt manicure' to prove it! lol!
3 weeks ago, I was ready to throw in the towel w/my garden,,, but as of 3 days ago,,, all of a sudden my garden has come (back) to life!
But I am still watching the daily weather report for any last minute 'freezes' that we might have...

So true, Farming/Gardening is hard, but it beats the alternative, sitting around, eating BonBons & watching Soap Operas... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  6:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Grace, my daughter gave me a nail brush with the pumice stone on the other side. For my always dirt stained hands and fingers. It does not work. The brush does get the fingernails clean, but not the dirt stains. Sorry sweetie! That's just the way my hands will look from now til, maybe December? We just had rain all night with a little more today. And it's going to be in the high 80's with some low 90's thrown in for next week. Plus some scattered showers all week too. So if this doesn't jump start my garden, I may be throwing in the towel. And yes, I do believe I wouldn't be happy doing anything else but this. I planted more lavender too. I hope your garden grows and thrives!

I think the past 2 years I have worried about my gardens too much. I have some friends up the road that are into their 2nd year gardening and going to markets. The guy is an archetect. She's a perfectionist. I think I find myself trying to compete with them and do like they do. And it's just not working for me. I mean, their gardens are works of art really. All nice and fluffy soil with no clods because he picks them all out. No weeds because they mulch like crazy. Beds all laid out in perfect rows with seeds spaced perfectly apart. She even has a ruler she uses to plant seeds with. And I have realized that it's just not me. I don't have a straight row of anything anywhere on my farm. I like weeds. I am lazy. And I have always had good gardens with no problems. So I don't think I will try to do what they do. It works for them but not for me. I need to get back to the way I have always gardened. It works.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  06:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Garden is under water again. It's pouring out there. I hope my poor chickies don't float away too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  7:38:19 PM  Show Profile
You are right my farmfriend, farming is hard work! But the benefits of caring for the land, the animals and your family make it worth while. Keep up the good job you are doing.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  06:11:37 AM  Show Profile
It's a mess out there. All the soil is washed away, exposing the little seedlings already sprouting. And it's going to be 9- today so they will all be burned up by tonight. It just makes me sick to see all that wasted. Washed away. I guess all the seeds are at the bottom of the garden and maybe I can just get everything from down there. Just stand in one spot and pick. I just don't know what to do really. Most of the plants are ok. Like the tomatoes and peppers. And the row with the spinach and kale and one bed of field peas. And maybe some beans, I'm not sure. But it's a mess. And my push mower belt broke that makes it self-propelled. I cannot push that machine without that working. So the grass is a foot tall again. When it rains, it sure pours!

Kris

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farming is hard. But I LOVE it! (Lots of pics) Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page