Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Farming is hard. But I LOVE it! (Lots of pics)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farming is hard. But I LOVE it! (Lots of pics) Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  8:34:53 PM  Show Profile
I am exhausted, y'all. I mean, I can hardly move right now. I get up like an old lady. It takes awhile to get to walking normal. Farming is hard work. I have been hauling wagon loads of hay mulch and wagons full of good humusy soil from out back. It's heavy! But thank goodness, I had an empty wagon going up the little hill to get the soil. So all down hill when full. That helped a lot.

So just got 3 beds worked today. It took nearly all day. I'll till some more tomorrow and plant beans, field peas, squash, zuchinni and cucumbers. I'll be getting peppers, tomatoes and eggplant from my friend up the road around the first part os May.

Plus working for all these animals is hard too. Seems like that's all I do lately, work for them. Fencing, moving chicken and rabbit tractors, feeding... It is never ending.

BUT, I LOVE IT! I would NOT want to be doing anything else. I love to see the results of all this hard work in the gardens. I love to harvest all the things I've planted and weeded and mulched. I love going to markets and selling and meeting people and talking about how to prepare all this food for their families. I love knowing that people will be eating good healthy organic food that I, with God's help, grew for them. Very satisfying for sure.

And I love seeing the sheep eating good green grass and going to take a break and chewing their cud under the shade tree. Or standing out in the pasture with them and hearing them munching. I love that sound so much. I love to see the lambs being frisky and chasing each other like good friends. So satisfying.

And seeing the 2 pigs I got a little over a month ago, already so big from all the good food they get. And then seeing them laid out under the shade tree in their yard, napping and dreaming. So satisfying.

Then going out to the hens and getting pretty perfect brown eggs. And hearing the rooster crowing during the day. So satisfying.

And I love the good fresh raw goat's milk I get from my goats, to drink and make cheese and soaps. And to share with friends who appreciate good milk too. And knowing my family loves it too. It's all worth the hassel these goats are sometimes! That is really satisfying to me.

So yes, farming IS hard work. I am dirty ALL the time. I stink most of the time too. Today, my hands smelled like sheep pee and poop from all the oldhay I got from their stalls to put on the garden. I am not complaining at all.

I read somewhere that in the spring you should smell like dirt. Well, I do. And I love it!

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 23 2013 12:31:50 PM

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  08:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I can tell you love what you do! In Spring, I usually smell like dirt, also!!!! I don't do what you do, but what I do in the yard, I love it. One of my neighbors has a rooster and I love when I hear it crorwing! Makes me smile.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  12:29:27 PM  Show Profile
http://jaimiedavis.blogspot.com/2013/04/morning-views-at-outback-farm.html

Here are some photos from a professional photographer who came out last week. She did an amazing job. Made everything look so good. And all the animals just loved her.

Anyone who does anything to make this world a better place and gets dirty doing it is a farmer in my book. Keep doing what you're doing, Marly!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  1:17:04 PM  Show Profile
Girl, I bet you ARE tired! But it's the good kind, though--if you're asleep before your head hits the pillow, then you've done your day's best!

I love the pics that the pro took--really captures the true essence of your farm. Love and nurture. Happy animals, happy momma.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  1:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Kris - All I kept thinking while looking at your beautiful animals is that you sure must smile at them a lot - because every single one of them is smiling! I have never seen such "smiley" pets! So happy! They must love what you do, too! How awesome is that?! You GO farmgirl! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  1:40:25 PM  Show Profile
BTW - I can't possibly choose a favorite - but I love the one with the two dogs, and the one with the water showering the pig! I just showed my guys how happy your animals are, they couldn't get over it. Smiley Pigs... Smiley Goats... Smiley Dogs... Such a smiley, happy place! Quite the testament to you, dear sister! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  1:52:21 PM  Show Profile
working your own land and reaping all the benifits is really worth all the blood, sweat and tears that go along with it, cause in the end, all you do is smile, smile watching all the farm babies playing, listening to their mothers low calls to them, watching them take their first bites of grass..watching your own babies playing and getting sooo dirty that you have to scrap the muck off of them and yourself, cause you are playing too, jumping in the pasture ponds to cool off, and then taking a hose to yourself before you go back into the house...the the smells, the sights, and the sounds of total contentment...every child and every adult should be able to at the least experience what we all experience every single day...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,
The title said "Lots of Pics" and as I was reading your post I felt there were a lot of pictures in the words alone. Really happy people radiate that feeling, its not bragging at all, it is something far more powerful. The real pictures are amazing. I agree with Nini your animals are happy too! Thank you for reminding us that the work is well worth it!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I love Stella. She reminds me of my Penny. A real lover.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow, this makes me almost cry. Because sometimes I do get frustrated and want to just run away. It's not always smiley happy. But 98% of the time it is. Most of the time though, they just crack me up. Like when I turn the water hose on those pigs! Oh my goodness, they run around and squeal and they do smile. And when Stella sits and then raises up with her front feet and sits there. And she also high 5's too. She's so funny. Even Sophie, who will be 16 in July, runs around like a little puppy, shaking her little stumpy tail.

Tina, you hit it right on the head. You do so much and I know you feel the same way.

Nini, that's one of my favorites too, of the pig. They are very photogenic. And they know who feeds them!

Jonni, Jaimie is SO good. I want her to come back and do more now. She found me on my FB page. I am always taking animal pictures and posting them on my Outback Farm FB page. So she asked if she could come out. I want her to come back when Sandy has her kids in a few days. And the sheep have been sheared too. And yes, it does not take me long to get to sleep.

Susan, that is so nice. It is definetely well worth ALL the work. It's just what I want to do.

Thank you all for the nice sweet comments. I wish you could all come visit some day. You're all welcome any time!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Betty, she is the sweetest dog ever. So loving and nice. I found her almost 2 years ago in June, running down the middle of the road with a long rope tied so tight around her neck, I couldn't even get my finger under it. I had some scissors in the car, thank goodness, and cut the rope off, put her in my car and took her straight home. She's been here ever since. She's a mess though. She loves to dig holes. But she loves her Bubba.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I just love your lifestyle. Somehow I have gotten twisted up in the "work outside of home world" like most of America, but I am trying to cut back & appreciate what I have on my land. Keep doin what you are doin.. God Bless you & all of your hard work, critters, and reaping what you sow!!!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Great picture! I love the hose/pig!!

I think most who homestead/farm get discouraged at one time or another. I know there are days I love it and can't imagine doing anything else and there are other days when I wonder if I am just plain nuts! :)
Thanks for sharing your pictures

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  7:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
The pictures are great and your animals do look happy. You are so busy, if I lived closer I would come help just to learn from you.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  04:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I know you do so much too. It is hard and lots of blood, sweat and tears, like Tina says, but worth it all. That's kind of my favorite thing to do now, turn the hose on those silly pigs. Makes me smile and laugh. They are so funny. I have to somehow get the pigs from where they are in the back of the property, way up to the front where I had strawberries years ago. I need them to work that ground up for me so I can use it for more garden space. BUT, I will need a bunch of people to help. Because piga are NOT easy to move. Now that is hard work! But to look at what they've already done in their yard in just 5 weeks, I could be planting a garden by June.

Lisa, I hope you'll be able to do this soon too.

Kathy, any time you need a "farm vacation", let me know. I welcome any help I can get!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
What an absolutely beautiful photo journey of Outback Farm! Every single one of your animals look fabulous and oh so happy! You are an inspiration to me. Just reading your posts makes me tired, but the fruits of your labor is evident in your farm and in your beautiful animals.
Thank you for sharing with us, and keep up the good work! You sure do make us farmgirls proud!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  04:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Laurie. That means a lot to me.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  05:25:30 AM  Show Profile
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/heavy-rain-hurting-local-farms-5288.shtml#.UYgxxinQxag.facebook

Click on the picture for the video.

This was on the news here last night. These are friends who also go to the same markets I do. It's been SO wet here and most farmers are like this right now. I have had a lot of seeds wash away here too. And the garden has been under water. But that's part of farming. And we have no control over the weather. We just have to go with it and take it as it comes. I know a lot of the country is really dry right now. I have no idea what that's like at the moment. I am not complaing, but it is a mess out there. I would normally, at this time of year, have green beans about a foot tall, tomatoes with flowers on them, squash and zucchini blooming. But the weather has had other ideas.

What's it like in your neck of the woods right now? Any planting? Or harvesting yet?

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 07 2013 05:26:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  10:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin......I am in SW WV and we are expecting frost on Sunday Monday and tuesday. All our trees are leafed out and the fruit trees have set fruit already. Strawberries have fruit on them as well. Our last frost date is May 10th. I usually have around a dozen tomato plants in the ground by april 30th......but not this year!!!

God bless and good luck to you.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  04:43:13 AM  Show Profile
I sure hope that's wrong! It has just been so strange this year so far. I don't know what I'd do if we had a frost here. It's going to be late for a lot of things this year for sure. Can you cover the strawberry plants up? I just have a small raised bed of them.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  12:24:46 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to come up with something to cover the strawberries with. But it is alot of berries!!!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  05:01:52 AM  Show Profile
I had over 200 plants several years ago down in front. I still see some and need to dig them up and move them up in the garden. I want to put the pigs up there to til it all up for me. But have to get some electric fence up first. Then get about 100 people to help herd them up there! That's gonna be really fun. But I know they will do a great job rooting it all up for me. I can't get a tractor down there. And a tiller wouldn't be able to do a thing. So pigerators it will have to be. But I have nightmares even thinking about how to get them from out back to up front.

I hope you don't egt that frost.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3078 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3078 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  12:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I just seen your post and would like to say what a beautiful farm you have. My husband and I are dairy farmers and I know exactly how you feel. Exhausted and wonderful at the same time. Thanks for sharing your photos. (I posted some on the "a farm of my own" board if you would like to see them.) Best of luck with the weather to all you farm girls! It's been crazy in Ohio too, but what can you do?

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  6:39:29 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I saw all your pictures. So cute! I bet it's just as crazy up there too.

I just replanted more than half my garden this morning. I still have so much more to do. But my step dad has been in ICU since last Tuesday. So between the hospital, markets and gardens and making soap and jelly in between, I am pooped. But it will all be just fine. I am not the only one who's haveing to replant. So many more. Some have even had to get truck loads of dirt to make raised beds just to get plants from the greenhouses into the ground.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:25:42 PM  Show Profile
I covered the strawberries for 2 nights. And would rise before daylight to spray the apple trees with water. We saved them all.

I am now cleaning beds and planting gardens and trying to keep up inside and do some spring cleaning to. I am also getting lots of orders on my etsy sight so I do those orders between dark thirty and dawn!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  7:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, if it weren't for my daughter doing all the inside work, this place would be a disaster area. I don't even cook anymore. I'm so glad you're doing so well in your Etsy store. I tried that but never sold a thing. And also glad your fruit trees are ok now. Good for you for spraying them.

Kris

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Farming is hard. But I LOVE it! (Lots of pics) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page