Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How should I clean my old pie safe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How should I clean my old pie safe? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I bought this old pie safe at an auction. I stayed in that smoke filled auction house until I turned blue and almost passed out - this was the LAST thing they sold and I really almost passed out when it sold at a price I could afford! Now what should I do to clean it up? I'm thinking stripping it is a big no-no. I'm hoping someone can advise me - Miz Frannie.....are you out there???

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile
I would just clean it really good with lemon oil, and leave it as is!!

But that is just me!! I like for things to "show their lives"

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  10:05:02 AM  Show Profile
How about Murphy's Oil soap? After you get it nice and clean, a polish with butchers wax will do wonders and leave the "patina"
intact. Sometimes I add a few drops of Old English if there are noticeable scratches.

A friend who sells antique furniture uses lemon oil and butcher's wax. Her stuff always looks great too!

I LOVE your pie safe, way to go! Now air out those smokey lungs!
(If the pie safe smells smokey, put an unwrapped bar of Irish Spring soap inside for several days. Works like a charm!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  10:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to you both for the great tips! I do want to keep the patina!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful pie safe Janice!! wow!!
I agree with what Bramble and Bridgette said about cleaning. I love Murphy's and lemon oil both.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How should I clean my old pie safe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page