kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  11:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I have a full suit with the hat attached. I just didn't have it on that night. I did have it on when we unloaded the 3 hives though. I don't really like it though. I might go get just a hat. And gloves too. Then those velcro things that go around the pant legs. I do have boots too.

Linda, it does have that landing strip. I love to watch them take off and land. So cute. I went out late last night to take the entrance reducer off. First time to use the hive tool. I could hear the bees in there when I was done. It just took a few seconds but they didn't like it. I just left it on the ground. And ran! I saw a dead bee in the sheep water bucket awhile ago. So sad. I have a bird bath and 2 ponds where they can get water. And I bought the cutest little colorful small water bowl on a ctand and put it in their yard with water.

I'll go Wed. to the bee store and pick up some more things I'll need soon. And I got an extra box with frames that I'm supposed to put on later in the week. This is so fun. I love going out there and just watching them. I see them all over the yard too!

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  1:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, float peices of wood in the water so your bees have an easier time getting out, they can rest and dry off before they get back to work...I have "7" wild hives on my property that I know of, so far they are pretty calm, so I hope they stay that way, just wish the honey was easy to get to, no such luck...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  4:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Didn't think about that, Tina. Thanks. I will do that now. I have a big rock in my birdbath.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Love bees. Beekeeping is on my bucket list - I'd love to do that. So far here, my bee report is one, big giant bumblebee that keeps buzzing around me in the front flower yard. Looks like he's sunning himself!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  6:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I love bumblebees. They actually do more than the honey bee does. I hope you get some bees some day.

Those bees were all over the place today. It was warm and sunny and they were out and about. Very interesting for sure.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  05:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Kris did you name your bees yet? :) My ma and dad were here once, and I said oh look there is Hannah on that flower. Dad looked at me funny, and then laughed!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  05:12:04 AM  Show Profile
That's so funny, Michele! I bet they thought you were serious. No, I haven't even thought of doing that. I don't know if there are enough names for all these bees. I have 3 really old apple trees here in the front yard. Yesterday, they were FULL of all kinds of bees! I just stood under the fullest tree and listened to all that buzzing and watched them all working so hard. There were several kinds of bees on the trees. One was a black bee the same size as the honey bee. And a really small mini honey bee too. Does anyone know what thise are?

I also have several elderberry bushes-trees here. I can't wait for them to bloom. And I got 3 more blueberry bushes Monday I need to get planted. That makes 10 so far. I'd like my whole front yard in blueberries. They seem to really like it there. I have treid for years to get them to grow all over this farm. I have finally found the spot they like.

A photographer from Chattanooga is coming this morning to take pictures. I wish now we had waited til the first of May. The sheep will be sheared and Sandy will have had her kids by then. But maybe she can come back then.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 17 2013 05:13:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bees are back Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page