Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Advice on moving out to the country. Sorry, LONG!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Advice on moving out to the country. Sorry, LONG! Next Topic  

Antb
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

antonia
Rockforf Il
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile
For quite a while now, I've dreamed of living a more rural life. Right now I live in Rockford IL, We live here because, at the time, my kids were grown, the house was cheap, and the yard was big for a garden.

Now we have a granddaughter living with us, and our neighborhood, which was a pretty safe, working class and mixed ethnicity with things like street vendors in the summer, and wonderful ethnic grocery stores in walking distance, has now had most of the houses divided into apartments, with high turnover. Crime is high here, and there have been 3 shootings here ON MY BLOCK in the last year. One morning last winter we woke to find a dead body in our neighbor's yard!

Since then we've been trying to sell this house, with the hopes of moving out to the country. And I think we finally have a buyer!!
I'm so excited! I found a house on three acres in a very small scenic town an hour or so away from here.

While I am THRILLED (I get to have chickens!!) to be moving, I'm also scared! I would love any advice on making the transition from urban, mostly walking to things, to a rural life.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SecondChanceCeramics
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AntB

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  11:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, chchchanges...but in my 61 years of living, everytime I took a risk and mixed it up a bit, I grew spiritually, learned so many new things, met new people, learned new skill sets and each day was filled with excitement mixed with work and fun as I was learning. Mary Janes Farmgirl is the best place to make that transition and the information I have gained here is incredible and useful for sustaining oneself. Canning, dehydrating, organization of the home for survival and comfort, gardening, home health tips, and so many tips on animals and farming can be found just by asking the MJFarmgirl Sisterhood. They are an amazing resource I do not take for granted. Some books that I learned about on MJF that will give you information on your new endeavors are: The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery; The New Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Emery; Where There is No Doctor by David Werner; The Foxfire Book Series 1-12 (See www.foxfire.org); Strategic Relocation-North American Guide to Safe Places by Joel M Skousen; Garden Wisdom and Know How by Rodale Gardening Books; Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook. MaryJane Butter's Books are filled with knowledge and useful tips on living in any setting. I also enjoy Countryside Magazine because it talks about livestock and chickens etc. eventhough I have no animals living in the city of Henderson, NV. By all means be proactive in making your move and you will not miss the artificial. Your spirit will open further and you should find connection with the earth (the planet home you were born into). Best to you and all the sisterhood. Yeah! Remember the line in "Sleeping With the Enemy" if you start thinking about how you are all alone. Her mother says to her, "You have yourself". Now run and be joyful.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  12:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Annie, I am not where she is yet, but lady that is some pretty sage advice on the books. Thanks for replying to her post. It will also help me.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

Antb
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

antonia
Rockforf Il
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  12:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Annie, thank you so much for that list, and your encouraging words.
One thing I am looking forward to is seeing stars, rather than the orange glow of streetlights at night.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Antonia...don't try to do everything at once, cause you will over welm yourself, remember that farming/ranching , even on a tiny scale is alot of blood, sweat and tears...do what is absolutly nessacery at first, then when that is complete, go to the next project, buy the best you can afford, it will be worth it in the end, trade/barter for what you can, and reuse/repurpose as much as possible...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Great advise, Tina. Antonia, my hubby and I are moving to Texas. Tina's gave me the same advise. One day at a time! Hugs
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  2:16:43 PM  Show Profile
Antonia,
I would encourage you to have fun.
Also, remember that you will make mistakes. Don't let that discourage you. Learn from them and keep on going.
No matter where you live, there are challenges, just different ones.
Loralie
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  04:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Antonia, for asking a great question. The farmgirl sisterhood
can't be beat. I am sorry for all the bad things going on around you.
Congratulations and Good luck with your new place.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

Dixie Liz
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Elizabeth
Fayetteville Georgia
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow, this sounds a little like me. Those are some good sounding books. I have a few of them and have been collecting books like that as well as cookbooks for years. I live in a town that used to be really country but I live in a subdivision. There are no HOA or restrictions and we are able to have chickens and honeybees because our neighbors don't care but we really want some land. I have always wanted my own farm like my Grandmother when I was growing up so we have decided to take the plunge. We found a nice log home on 3.5 acres zoned perfectly for what we want about an hour from us. I hope they accept our offer so I can have my mini-farm!

~ Liz
I LOVE Pinterest!
http://pinterest.com/esatai
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  12:08:33 PM  Show Profile
We moved from town out to the country 3 years ago. Hubby and I combined our children (5) into a bigger house on 5 acres. The first year was just settling in and getting the kids used to each other, then the next year concentrated on the garden and the changes we wanted to make to the house. Last year we got the chickens situated. This year will be another barn for pigs and a larger garage for Hubby.

We only take on what we can handle with cash and our time. We plan our goals for the year and stick to them.

My advice....enjoy the journey. Don't try to do everything all at once. Sit back and enjoy the blessings of living in the country.

Enjoy living in a safe and quiet environment. And enjoy your grandchild.....

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  8:13:42 PM  Show Profile
The main thing I learned after moving from an urban environment to the countryside is that when in town, you must look everyone in the eye and say hello when you walk down the street! It doesn't do to live in a bubble. Live honestly and kindly -- two things that can sometimes be hard to do at the same time!

The next most important bit of advice I can give you from our experience is to give yourself a year before deciding on any major investments or commitments (unless you have an emergency you have to deal with). What seems sensible when you first make the move will often turn out to be exactly what wiser residents of the area have learned to avoid. This (and this is a hard one that others might not agree with) includes taking stands on local issues, joining clubs, and so on. Be friendly to everyone, but don't make any alliances for superficial reasons that you might regret later. It's amazing how a small community can polarize itself, and you don't want to be caught up in that before you've had a chance to settle in.

Get on mailing lists for seed catalogs. Come January, you will pull them out of them mailbox and spend gleeful hours planning your "crops" and considering new growing techniques. I like Johnny's Seeds especially for the good advice they offer with their products, but there are many others, perhaps with more of a focus on your specific region. That's always a nice way to open a conversation: "Where do you like to buy your seeds and plants?"

Make a point of connecting with the agricultural agent, probably affiliated with a state university and possibly having an office in your new town. They are a wealth of free info and advice on all things related to farming, even on a small scale like yours. One thing you'll want to be sure you find out about from them is what invasive plants to avoid introducing onto your property. Unhappily, nurseries are still selling some awful plants and trees that may look attractive but that are very bad for the local environment.

I'm so happy for you! You've made a wonderful decision! :)

Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile
I would agree with all the advice given here. My husband and I along with our youngest moved 3 years ago to the country. We now live on 20 acres and love it. We started slow and didn't over do it, each year we add something. This year we are building a barn and though we would loved to have had it the first year here, we waited. Enjoy your life out in the country!

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I've lived in an urban area most my life, but now I'm living in a rural area up on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

EllaRow
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Chantelle
Nevis MN
USA
64 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  08:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Great advice all around, I know the list of books I'll take to heart too. I hope your move goes well and your dreams come true.

Soaking in wisdom as the showers fall
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I moved to rural Tennessee 13 years ago. I love the fresh air and friendly people. There is .80 acre. I do have a huge garden and freeze a lot. I have a dehydrator and dry herbs. My MIL is going to can some of of veggies. I grow lot's of sunflowers, then I have bird food all winter. I'm looking into fruit trees, I can grow in containers. I buy local. I believe in supporting small businesses. Look into a local farmer's market. I'm growing french pumpkins this year. I'll be taking them to the city to sell to Mom's friends. Don't do everything at once. My city friends don't understand that I don't need/want to be near a mall. I love the country life!

STYX the Band rocks!
Support your local organic farmer.www.localharvest.org
Monsanto you Stink!!
Go to Top of Page

JaneMarie
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jane
Camarillo CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  9:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Fabulous advice, everyone! My husband and I are soooo looking forward to moving to our home just above Spokane (we currently live in Southern California but will retire in 2-5 years). I have dreams and aspirations of raising chickens, planting and caring for a large garden, planting more fruit trees, and doing all the "homey," farm life activities I've longed to do my whole life. I will definitely check out the resources you've all mentioned. Thank you so much!!

Home is where your heart is.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  8:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Jane,
Your dreams sound so exciting. Good luck to you and your future plans!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

Antb
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

antonia
Rockforf Il
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  3:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for the advice!
The first house fell through, but we have had our bid accepted on another house with 2 acres. I love the area, but the house needs some work. Luckily our realtor has introduced us a great handyman and he is working through all the repairs with us. He is talking us through how to use a septic system and how to clean and use the cistern. I will never take for granted flushing a toilet or taking a loooong shower again!
The property backs into a DNR woods. It is really lovely, there is plenty of room for a large garden, and the neighbors asked us if we were going to get a cow (!). The elderly woman who lived here since the 30's had one, and supplied the neighbors with milk, and they miss it. So of course I've thought of nothing else since.
We are set to close on the 30th of this month. I am very excited, and have ordered and read several of the books that were recommended- Thank you all for being so helpful!

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  12:43:23 PM  Show Profile
We moved to a place in NWGA 5 yrs ago. We had nice pastures and a great garden. Our blueberries had started to look great. But the guy that we were going to buy it from decided not to sell. So we rented it for 5 yrs. Now we are in a REAL log cabin on 9 acres mostly wooded with oak trees and it is a bigger house and another small behind us that is attached by a large deck. So now I have to learn the land again and have trees cut and cleared. we are looking to get chickens and goats...and hopefully bees...I am sure this will take a few yrs. I have also started a new business, I am not teaching anymore. So back to working behind a chair. I am excited for the new adventure on both fronts.
Deborah

now we are on our forever farm. God has blessed us.
Go to Top of Page

Antb
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

antonia
Rockforf Il
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2013 :  1:17:38 PM  Show Profile
UPDATE~
We bought a place! It is in Northern Ohio, not too far from Lake Eerie. It has 2.4 acres, a farmhouse and a garage. My daughters and I started moving in last week. A few days after unloading the truck, a tornado hit a couple miles away, and lightening struck the house! It was exciting, but for us, no real damage. The house hadn't been lived in for 10 years, so we are slowly bringing the place back to life. I was anxious to get it producing, but have taken the advice to go slowly to heart, so I put a few tomato plants in big pots, and bought a couple of baby chicks to assuage my 'hurry up and farm' impulses, while we paint and repair the house. :)

Edited by - Antb on Jul 16 2013 1:18:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Advice on moving out to the country. Sorry, LONG! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page