Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic 3 additional kids Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  07:48:04 AM  Show Profile
This summer my niece is having surgery so her mother and I will be taking her kids, 13, 6 and 4 1/2. She'll have them about 3 weeks then bring them here for 3 to 4 weeks. I also have a 1 1/2 year old. The 13 year old spent last summer here so we are pretty good, but two young boys!

I want to have chores for each of them, a bit of sanity to help me, but what can kids this age do? So far my thoughts are feed and water the cats daily, bring their laundry to the machine once a week, pick up toys daily, help in the garden.

Lots of outside time will be mandatory I'm sure.

Any and all advice and thoughts are appreciated.

thanks
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile
4 1/2 is a great age to help feed the dogs, but if he's anything like my wee girl, they seem to be easily distracted! 6 is also a good age to help do chores, though, unless they're used to it, I wouldn't call the stuff they're doing "chores" because that can make you out to be the wicked aunt :)

Do you have a pond they can swim in? What about fishing? Weeding in the garden, dead heading, snapping beans, etc. All good things for them to do.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile
No pond, but there is a pool nearby, so I figured we would go a few times while they are here. Thanks for the tip not to call things chores. They'll have been with their Nana first and she is doing a white board for them. I figured I would plan one day a week for major cleaning and get everyone involved (so we have more time to do other things). I'll have farmer's market to attend so that will be new for them as long as I can keep them in the vicinity.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  08:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Well, a pool in the summer attracts kids like mad. Also, get some cheap popsicle makers and put stuff outside, fruit, juice, yogurt, on a vinyl table cloth and let them design their own.

Yep, do the cleaning one day a week and make sure that the emphasis is because you want to have fun for the rest of the time while they're there. The farmers market will be cool. Is there a way they can help you with signs or bagging items? You'd be surprised what 4 year olds are capable of, 6 year olds even better. Especially when they have an older sibling along to mimic.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile
on the feeding/water animal, you'll have to be vigilant that they actually do it, for the poor pets sake, but is a good one. My 6 year old and even three year old are good aat doing laundry-they put it in the machines, and I put in the soap and turn them on.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic 3 additional kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page