Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Does anyone else have Spring Fever??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Does anyone else have Spring Fever?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  5:17:25 PM  Show Profile
I have Spring Fever so bad. I just cannot wait till
it gets warm outside so I can play in the dirt and plant
flowers and plants. I have my veggie garden started in the kitchen
window in seed pots. Plants are all coming up and looking
great. My flower beds are weeded and ready for a new layer of
mulch. I have flower gardens planned and ready for planting.
Veggie Gardens are tilled and ready for the new growing season.

Has anyone else been bit by the spring fever bug? Just making
sure I am not alone.

Give me the simple country life.

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely! Especially since we've had what I'm pretty sure is a foot and a half of new snow this last week :(

I picked out seeds at the garden center and just need to pick up some seed starter trays.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

judyecl
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

jduy
presho south dakota
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  6:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful flowers. I have 9 rose bushes, that everyone in town love. I have a climbing one, that I have to really do something with this year. A wonderful friend, made a trellis for it, it outgrew that one so fast, so he welded another one, and it also outgrew that one. So I have to get the pruners out and tame it down. I also have a perennial bed in the front yard that has to have alot of work this year. I have a long sidewalk leading to the front of my house , outlined with my Grandmother's tall purple Iris. I have received the yard of the week, 2 times, and I am sure it was because everyone who goes down main, love them. I work at a grocery store, and have even had Men---say how pretty they are. I lost my husband 2 yrs ago in June, so I use my extra time , in the yard . Happy Spring, everyone !
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  6:27:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by judyecl

Beautiful flowers. I have 9 rose bushes, that everyone in town love. I have a climbing one, that I have to really do something with this year. A wonderful friend, made a trellis for it, it outgrew that one so fast, so he welded another one, and it also outgrew that one. So I have to get the pruners out and tame it down. I also have a perennial bed in the front yard that has to have alot of work this year. I have a long sidewalk leading to the front of my house , outlined with my Grandmother's tall purple Iris. I have received the yard of the week, 2 times, and I am sure it was because everyone who goes down main, love them. I work at a grocery store, and have even had Men---say how pretty they are. I lost my husband 2 yrs ago in June, so I use my extra time , in the yard . Happy Spring, everyone !

Your rose bushes sound so beautiful. I love rose bushes, I want to put some in at some point. My mom put in a few several years ago, they are so big a beautiful now. I am so sorry that you lost your husband, I know that was probably very difficult to go through. My heart goes out to you. I spend many hours in my gardens, usually at the end of the summer I have the farmers tan to prove it.

Go to Top of Page

judyecl
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

jduy
presho south dakota
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  7:33:34 PM  Show Profile
In South Dakota, we still have snow. I have walked through the yard, looking for signs of Spring. So far, not many. I am looking for Spring bulbs to pop through. Still haven't seen a Robin. Snow coming this Thurs. and Fri. I keep dreaming and looking through magazines for the time being. I have a house dog and a cat. They keep me company. So until I can get to the yard here, I have been sewing and crocheting and doing some baking. I have lived on a farm and loved it. There's no place like the country. I appreciate your concern about my husband. My e
two daughters live 7 hrs away, and a son 3. I have a great community. Lots of people to reach out to and help.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  7:48:06 PM  Show Profile
Noelle, what absolutely beautiful pictures!!!!! I am MORE than ready for Spring!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  03:59:56 AM  Show Profile
I am very ready for springtime. I just want it to be warm emnough and dry enough to go outside for a walk. We keep getting a bit of rain then snow. So everything is icy and slippery and wet.

We are all feeling very cooped up and a little fat from frotm the winter.

Thanks for the lovely pictures.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  04:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful pictures, Noelle! Yes, I've been hit by the bug, too. Our tulips and hyacinths are peeking up through the ground - the promise of spring around the corner! Hoorah!!! We started working the garden a week ago when the weather broke, and it felt sooo good to be playing in the dirt! Alas, since then, the snow and icy rain has returned... but I know that the good things are soon to come. I'm biding my time by reading up on all the new things I want to try to do this year. My layout is designed, my notes are ready, the seeds are patiently awaiting the tear of their package tops... I've even sketched pictures of what I hope will come of my efforts! I can't wait to see my silly little drawings come to fruition! Soon! SOON!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 19 2013 04:16:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

judyecl
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

jduy
presho south dakota
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  07:29:41 AM  Show Profile
I save seeds from the year before, have been looking them over planning, which bed they go in. Getting excited to see the little green of Spring ! Right now, what is making me smile, my Violets. I have ten of them in a east window, which they love, and they are blooming. I have a total of 24 plants in the house. Not the same as digging in the Earth ! Judy
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  08:40:28 AM  Show Profile
We've been starting seeds in our house as a way to keep that Spring Fever under control.

Stay tuned to the blog - I've got a couple really cute spring ideas that I'll be posting soon.

And by the way, we have a technical term for this in our house - it's called "Soil Depravation". The only cure is a dirt manicure.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  10:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i am so ready for Spring. it was 9 this morning after two more inches of new snow. we still have a good bit of it on the ground, and the only signs so far are the cranes and the robins are back.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Count me in! I have had it with winter. Spring is tomorrow and we are suppose to get snow and it is COLD!
I have tulips on my dining room table and some herbs in the window trying to bring some Spring into the house at least :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile
OH mY GoodNess! I am so ready for Spring! We are about twenty degrees colder than usual. Got snow today, but it was mixed with ice so it is the consistency of a snow cone. I have so much work I want/need to do. We have a lot of cleanup left to do from the storms the last year/s. Can't wait for the sun and dry weather! I planted my seeds and am so excited to see green popping up. Nothing has bloomed here yet.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  6:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow, March 20th, is the first day of Spring. Here in Louisiana, it certainly is Springtime.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  08:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Here in Michigan it's snowing again today, although it's not really sticking.

I did see a robin two days ago when we were visiting the Grand Rapids area, so it's definitely coming!

What are other signs of spring you look for? I look for robins, daffodils poking their leaves up, and forsythia bushes and pussy willows starting to bud. (I brought in some forsythias last week to force them.)

What about you?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:28:26 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to know that I am not alone!! I agree with you all, I have had it with winter. We live in East Tennessee
so usually winter does not really grasp in too tight. But this year it has been cold. Even this week for the next
10 days we are 10-20 degrees below average for this time of year. Even at the Vernal Equonox our high today is 50.
I cannot wait to plant and play in the dirt. I feel so bad for those of you who are still dealing with snow.
I am sure that snow fatigue is really starting to set in. I hope that for all of us the thermal lag this year
is at a minimum so we can all get outsede and play in the gardens as we all like to do.

Happy Spring!!!

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brightmeadow

Here in Michigan it's snowing again today, although it's not really sticking.

I did see a robin two days ago when we were visiting the Grand Rapids area, so it's definitely coming!

What are other signs of spring you look for? I look for robins, daffodils poking their leaves up, and forsythia bushes and pussy willows starting to bud. (I brought in some forsythias last week to force them.)

What about you?

Snow!!! Oh, I am so sorry. I know that you are probably getting sick of seeing the stuff there in the Michigan area.

The signs I look for when spring is coming is... The pear trees staring to bloom, the red buds and the dogwoods blooming. The first sign of spring that I can look for is the frogs. Yes frogs!! We live out in the country where some low spots collect water. In the Early spirng as early as february we can start to hear the frogs crocking. It is such a welcoming sound. So much so that we like to sleep with our windows open so they can sing us to sleep. Around april we stop hearing them, it is so sad when they go away. They don't really go away but the breeding season is over so all the crocking stops. By april tad poles can be seen in the water. That is neat too.

I also look for some of the birds to come back. The robins stay all year around long with the female bluebirds. So I look for the male bluebirds to come back, then the gold finches and redwinged black birds, then finally the humming birds.

As far as plants, when the tulips and daffodils come up I know that spirng is upon me. Right now the daffodils are blooming the tulips are up but not blooming yet. So we have a little bit go go. But then it has been really cold this year so things are about a week behind.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  1:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Happy Vernal Equanox!!!! I am so ready for spring and cannot wait for the butterflies and other
spring thing to awake and come visit my gardens.

Happy Spring!!!

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  10:36:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh my yes! We just got 12 inches of snow on Tuesday, and it's sooooooo sad. I am so ready for green grass!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/curlysquilts

I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile
It's that time of year :) .
I live in Texas, so we've been busy planting the spring garden ... tomato & pepper plants, squash, green bean, and cucumber seeds, along with flowers and herbs ... I love spring!
Those are lovely photos.

http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CurlysQuilts

Oh my yes! We just got 12 inches of snow on Tuesday, and it's sooooooo sad. I am so ready for green grass!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/curlysquilts

I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!

12 inches of snow!!! I am so sorry. We have not had a lot of snow but it has been cold, cold, cold. We live in east tennessee so 50's this time of year is way below normal for us.

I do hope that spring will come soon. I think it has been a long, cold winter for most of the nation.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  12:47:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Catherine

It's that time of year :) .
I live in Texas, so we've been busy planting the spring garden ... tomato & pepper plants, squash, green bean, and cucumber seeds, along with flowers and herbs ... I love spring!
Those are lovely photos.

http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Thanks, I am glad you like the pics.

You are so lucky, I cannot wait to plant the garden.
It is still a little cold here. Hopefully april will
be much warmer here. I have the plants in seed trays on
the kitchen counter sprouting and growing. I can just smell
the fresh tilled dirt.

Come on spirng bring the warm weather.

Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  7:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh man...we just had a dump truck full of delicious dirt from our local organic/natural farm market delivered on Tuesday. I texted my DH a picture of the dirt piled in my driveway, ready to go in the raised beds. He promptly replied back, asking if I had rolled around in it yet. Hahaha. (I didn't, for the record; it was too chilly that day!). It is now safely in our beds, ready for seeds. I can't WAIT for spring. I want it so badly that it hurts!!! Come on, sunny warm days! We are all ready for you!!!

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  10:03:46 AM  Show Profile
I don't seem to be able to think about anything else but planting the vegetable garden. We built a new raised bed the other day, and I wanted to get some early things in, but it has been cold and stormy ever since. Today it snowed, so I will wait impatiently.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  1:26:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BarnHeart

Oh man...we just had a dump truck full of delicious dirt from our local organic/natural farm market delivered on Tuesday. I texted my DH a picture of the dirt piled in my driveway, ready to go in the raised beds. He promptly replied back, asking if I had rolled around in it yet. Hahaha. (I didn't, for the record; it was too chilly that day!). It is now safely in our beds, ready for seeds. I can't WAIT for spring. I want it so badly that it hurts!!! Come on, sunny warm days! We are all ready for you!!!

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!

Fresh Dirt!!! oh i love the smell of fresh dirt. I love to play in the dirt for that matter. Anyway, sounds like you have some nice plans this spring for your gardens.

I know how you feel, I am going stir crazy just waiting for the weather to warm up to the point that I can get outside and plant. Our spring has been very cold this year, highly unusual for this part of the area as well. Hopefully April will bring some warmer weather.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  1:31:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by westfork woman

I don't seem to be able to think about anything else but planting the vegetable garden. We built a new raised bed the other day, and I wanted to get some early things in, but it has been cold and stormy ever since. Today it snowed, so I will wait impatiently.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.

You are just like me. I have spring on the brain and planting seems to be the only thing I can think about. It is driving me crazy. I had to go dig a few holes the other day for plants that I do not have yet because I could not stand it anymore.

I am putting in a bird sacntuary garden this spring, I have the plants ordered but they will not be here till mid to late april. In the mean time I am out digging holes in preparation for their arrival. I have holes in my hard but at least I am out doing something while I wait for the weather to warm up.

I wanted to get some things in early as you are. But like you the cold weather is putting a lot of it on hold. I am waiting but it is getting hard. As soon as it warms up I am afraid that it is just going to get hot, then I will have the problem of keeping seedlings from scorching then dying. Hopefully we will get some mild weather for a few weeks anyway.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Does anyone else have Spring Fever?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page