True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  4:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,
I am new here and love to garden. Over the past two years we have turned out Backyard into an Edible Landscape paradise. It is so
nice to go outside and just graze on all the goodies. Here are a few pics of what we have been up to. What do you think.

view of the backyard gardens

Spice and Herb garden

Berry Row. 30 bushes (blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry)

Loaded wtih berries

The Ladies, taking care of the gardens for me.

Lookin for bugs to eat.

Edited by - KuntryKlucker on Mar 18 2013 4:28:22 PM

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  4:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Here is another pic that I just love.

Can you find the rooster?

Give me the simple country life.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  7:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Noelle,
Your yard sure has a peaceful aura, even the chickens look neat and serene in their cute saddles. I am a bit jealous about green grass, herbs and berry bushes, we've got probably 6 inches of snow covering our garden yet. Will you put the herbs in the ground or keep them in pots? We have a big garden but all that is done so far is pruning the raspberry plants and starting pepper seeds in a heated tray.
You will love it here.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  01:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Noelle...I enjoyed the walk in your back yard. What a lovely way to garden. The chickens look like
they are enjoying all your hard work and efforts too.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  04:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful, Noelle! Thank you for sharing! Enjoy!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
this is beautiful, i want to try something along these lines with our place, but we have to cut some trees down and do a good bit of clean up.
once the snow melts, and it warms up. it is 7 today and the calendar says it is the first day of Spring?!?!?!

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much I am glad that you all like the pics. The girls (the chickens) love the gardens too. They take care of the
bugs for me. With them I can garden without the use of chemicals. They take their share of the garden goodies
but that is fine. I have plenty so share. Every year we add something new to our backyard homestead.
this year we want to add some grape vines and possibly some strawberries. I cannot wait to start planting and
working around the gardens again.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy Lou

Welcome Noelle,
Your yard sure has a peaceful aura, even the chickens look neat and serene in their cute saddles. I am a bit jealous about green grass, herbs and berry bushes, we've got probably 6 inches of snow covering our garden yet. Will you put the herbs in the ground or keep them in pots? We have a big garden but all that is done so far is pruning the raspberry plants and starting pepper seeds in a heated tray.
You will love it here.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Hi, I am so glad that you like the pics. Snow!! oh I am so sorry, I am sure that you are sick of seeing the stuff. Our winter has been hard to. We don't get too much snow but we did get some good ice storms this year and just down right cold weather. I am so ready for spring.

As far as the herbs, I keep them in their pots. They get larger and larger pots every year till they get to be in a pot the size of a small whiskey barrel. I find that if I put them in the ground they tend to take over everything. I can control their size this way and also move them if needed. I have also found that they produce better if they are in a pot. The put more effort into producing and less effort on growing a large root system.

I put my hydrangeas in pots as well. They bloom better and longer when placed in pot. I have them in large whiskey barrels so their pots are BIG. I get many comments on how beautiful they are. Most people that I talk to don't realize that hydrangeas can even be grown in pots. It also affords me that ability to put them in the garage or garden shed in the winter to protect them from the cold.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Edible Landscaping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page