crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  07:37:23 AM  Show Profile
I made my first corned beef yesterday. I bought it at the local meat market in their brine. I soaked it in very cold water for 10 minutes at a time for 30 minutes. It was put into the crock pot with a bottle of Guinness and 3 cups of Beef broth and cooked on low for 9 hours. It smelled so good- but it was so darn dry it made me choke- what did I do wrong?
Thanks for the help!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  07:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Lori, I'm so sorry. I wish I could help. There are differences in cuts of meat, and some briskets are better than others. Is your crock pot a newer one? Sometimes they do go a little hot, but mine is new and I usually put my 8 lbs on low for 10 hours.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile
No- not a new crock at all- do you think I cooked it too long- there were juices still in the crock- so it wasn't like it cooked dry of the juices. I'll try it again- just need some pointers for the next time around!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like you did everything right, but I have known other people who have tried various cooking methods to say that their beef came out dry. Mine never has, though and I've tried multiple ways of cooking--and prefer the crock pot method. The only thing I can think is the brining technique is different and that could really be the key to a successful recipe.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  08:52:11 AM  Show Profile
You might not have cooked it for long enough, oddly. What was the weight? I usually do mine for 10 hours, on low. We put our 8 lb. in at about 9:30, and it was beautifully done at 6:30 that evening.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
The other thing just could be the way the brisket is cut. I buy a hand cut FLAT, hand trimmed brisket. The flat cut is the key, here.

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile
wow- next time I will do it very different- and go and show them how I want it cut. It was not flat cut- looked more like a roast. I will still try again and be more informed. Thank you for all of your knowledge- I knew you would be the go to girl!!!!
Thanks

Lori

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  09:16:34 AM  Show Profile
It's not overly difficult, but I will admit to a learning curve, especially in the manner of preparation. I've simply always used the recipe that has been handed down, so I never even looked at other cuts of meat out there. But, your butcher will be able to make this happen for you at no charge. And, the costs change, too--last year, the 6 lb. I bought was about 35.00, this year, the 8 lb. was $27.99 because they were having a sale. I would simply find out if there's a sale before hand :)

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  11:45:55 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- thank you for all of your great information- if I would have had your phone number I would have called you yesterday!! You are the expert in this dept- thank you for sharing with me!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  11:56:39 AM  Show Profile
I would have happily provided it (though, to be fair, we were out and about from about 8 am until 8 pm). My husband sang at the annual Irish Mass downtown Cincinnati held at the Cathedral with the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick choir, then off to a family luncheon in Mt. Adams where 60 Lynch's converge and shoot the breeze, then on to several other performances that he had downtown, then the girl and I went home, he got dressed up in a tux (and looked really handsome, I might add) and went off to their stag gala downtown again!

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Lori,
I have had the same thing happen to me. This time I baked it at 275 degrees for 5 1/2 hours. It turned out great and moist. Here is the recipe link http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Braised-Corned-Beef-Brisket/Detail.aspx

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile
thanks- will be trying that recipe the next time- I hope Nat is ready to eat corned beef until I get it right!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  8:22:31 PM  Show Profile
Well! Miss Lori, I think, in my humble opinion, that, yes, you probably did cook it too long. Were you practicing your cheerleader skills at the time? Tell Miss Natalie that I will cook a good gumbo to keep her nourished. Is Natalie a cheerleader, just wondering.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  05:26:20 AM  Show Profile
too dern funny- I was not practicing- I have "ENOUGH" practice in my 47 years!! And as a matter of fact- Nat did ask me about gumbo when we were watching Duck Dynasty! So, if you were to make it for us and perhaps teach me how- do you think we could invite Uncle Si over to share with us? If so it's a date and I'm bringing the pompoms! Yeehaaaaw!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Lori

I've never soaked a brisket before cooking it. Cook it until its fork tender. Shouldn't be more than 30 minutes a pound though I never timed it. I've always just boiled it on the stove top.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I don't know. Everyone has different ways of cooking it, but I've never had trouble. Seems like a lot of different advice, Lori, so just keep trying and make your notes. After my 8 days in the brine, then I rinse it very well to remove the majority of the salt.

Like I said, I'm not sure how you "over cooked it" when I cook mine on low for 10-11 hours and it's like butter (in the crockpot). I really believe that the cut of the meat is key.

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- I think you are correct on that.. I certainly don't need all the salt- the taste was very good- just dry as a bone. I will keep trying- and I appreciate all of the help!!
I do believe Jonni- you are the go to girl on the Irish meal you have so much to share! :)

Lori

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  6:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I still think you need to focus on cooking when you are cooking. My advice, even though you didn't ask, is: get rid of the pom-poms!!!!!
I'll cook a gumbo any time for y'all. Just let me know when! Hugs to you!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What Did I Do Wrong?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page