Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Homeschooling High School - Geometry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homeschooling High School - Geometry Next Topic  

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  4:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Son, Bubba, will be doing geometry for math next year. We tried 4 different programs with Princess, and while she passed, she never really "got it". Neither did I when I was in high school.

We have tried Switched on Schoolhouse (which is more religion than actual math), Saxon (where Princess had to use the teaching CD to do every single problem, and 2 others - one was an online class that we ended up dropping after 8 weeks. Can't think of the names of those last 2, sorry.

Anyway,if you have successfully had your homeschooler complete high school geometry, can you please tell me what program you used? This is the child who WANTS to go to college, so he's got to do the math. We are desperate.

Thanks!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  4:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
we used the Key to Geometry series. well we used key to for fractions, decimals and algebra as well. Each page explains step by step how to do the problems.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  8:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Ann -

I completely understand, and feel for you and the kids! We tried Saxon for Geometry this year and it was EXTREMELY difficult. Even with the DIVE CD, my son was so frustrated by the middle of October, I thought all was lost (and I'm super good with math!). We ended up switching out and went with MATH U SEE Geometry. He is THRIVING with it!!! You have to try it! You can visit the website and check out the samples of the program: http://store.mathusee.com/catalog/secondary-math/geometry/ My son loves it SO much that he doesn't want to do any other Math program for his Junior and Senior years (Algebra II and Pre-Calculus)! They explain everything so well, make it so clear and... well, I just can't say enough. If you decide that this might be something you'd like to go with, and you're interested in second-hand materials, let me know. I would only have to check with my sister-in-law first to see if she wants to use it with her kids first (they have six kids to whom they need to teach Geometry!).

I just can't say enough good things about Math-U-See... I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. You can also call them directly and they are extremely helpful. I just love it. LOVE it! And my son absolutely LOVES Geometry now, and looks forward to it - it's like a game to him (definitely a far cry from how he felt in October!)!

Good luck!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  08:03:27 AM  Show Profile
My oldest daughter used Math U See Geometry and liked it. I was glad because she struggled with Math.
I let my sister use it with my Nephews and they do well in Math and they really liked Math U See much more than they liked Saxon.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  7:16:41 PM  Show Profile
So glad to hear that Math U See has more advanced levels! I've heard such good things about it helping littler ones who were struggling with Math. I will check it out!

Thank you all!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile
So thank you all for such great advice! Just like always, my farmgirls come through!

This morning, I checked out the website for Math U See, and WOW OH WOW! I wish I had learned geometry this way - I may have done much better in math! I absolutely LOVE how it explains what each and every little detail is, and in plain "non-math english". So I went ahead and ordered a text and student workbook set for Bubba.

Just to prove to him that you never stop learning,and since I'm thinking about going back to school and my new major would require more math, I'm thinking we may just do geometry together every day. It will be good for both of us.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  08:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Ann! How exciting!!! You GO girl!!! :)

<Now if only they could make a Chemistry-U-See... We're using Apologia, and we absolutely LOVE it; but chemistry can be sooo heavy, you know?>

Best wishes to you and Bubba!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:12:28 PM  Show Profile
Nini - you should contact the company and ask them to do that. Also ask for a Physics U See. Both subjects are really heavy on the math, so these 2 should be right up their alley!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Amen, sister! Maybe I'll mention it when ordering Algebra II! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  11:14:43 AM  Show Profile
A word about quality of service.
I ordered the books yesterday morning, with the cheapest shipping option available. They were already on their way last night. That says good service to me.
I'm really excited to see them.

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  11:45:32 PM  Show Profile
My kids are younger, but we absolutely *love* Life of Fred.
No joke.
The gal I buy them from runs a big used homeschool book shop, and we've had more than several in-depth discussions about LoF (and she's spent hours on the phone with the author, Stanley Schmidt - who actually started with a Calculus LoF book!). She was using it as a supplement for the elementary aged books while using another math curriculum. Then her kids got a little older, and her mathematically gifted one got through the Fred algebras (and was super challenged! she has to do state testing, so there's a definable thing there). She said it's actually slowing down a smidge now that he's doing the Life of Fred Geometry, but he's still learning a ton and retaining it all. I can totally see us going the distance with Fred. My caveat though is that we're currently an unschooly/Charlotte Mason kind of family, I know not everyone is. Rote textbook doesn't really thrill any of us.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lanna. It's good to have 2 back-up programs in case the Math U See doesn't work.

By the way, the books came last week, and from what I saw, I could teach myself geometry from them. And that's saying a LOT! I am not a math person. I guess God just blessed me with other talents. Like making jelly. Anyway, I digress...

So as we go, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it's going. That way everyone can benefit from our experience.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homeschooling High School - Geometry Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page