soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  10:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Making some uber-cute plant markers for the garden from paint stir sticks and leftover 50 cents/bottle craft acrylic paint. I want to be sure to protect the paint because one good rain will wash it all off. Normally, I'd use polyurethane. But here's where my question come in. When I do use polyurethane, it's the water-based kind. Which I'm thinking won't work because again, water-based product vs. rain is a rain always wins situation.

If I used the normal polyurethane, do you think it would leach nasty chemicals into the soil? I don't want to a)poison anyone's worms, and b)poison anyone's food. Call me crazy, but I'm a golden rule kinda gal when it comes to these things.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or actually know an answer to this?

Thanks!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  11:09:11 AM  Show Profile
I used regular polyurethane to seal plywood countertops in my kitchen. I was told that once it dried completely, it was not toxic.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile
also once dry it is water proof...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  8:53:00 PM  Show Profile
The water based polyurethane will be waterproof once it is dry and fully cured. The label should tell you how long it takes for the product to cure completely. I would suggest applying several light coats of varnish with a light sanding between coats for the best adhesion. No polyurthane is going to hold up to constant exposure to moisture but it will definitely protect your acrylic paint from the rain.

I painted my beehives with acrylic paint and used JoSonja Jansen's waterbased polyurthane varnish to protect the decorations. They have been out in the weather for two years now and still look great despite our rainy pacific northwest winters.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  8:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Linseed oil might be a less toxic option.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Polyurethane Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page