Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile
We have been working on setting up an orchard of dwarf fruit trees for about 5 years, trying heirloom and unique varieties of apples, peaches, plums, cherries, pears. It's been slow, adding some each year and when we checked last week all seemed to be well. Then 2 days ago the rabbits found 5 of our apple trees, hard to get varieties. Our yard and garden are surrounded by over 10 acres of woods, you would think they could find enough twigs there, but they apparently LOVE apple bark.It looks like those will be a complete loss, unless something can come from the roots.
We have 2 dogs, but keep them in at night because coyotes have been in the area, so the rabbits are taking advantage of the situation.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  1:45:38 PM  Show Profile
The mice and voles do that around here there burrow under the snow and eat the bark under the snow when the tree awakes in the spring it dies.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for the damage, Susan. Maybe your local county agent could help or give you some ideas. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  06:28:42 AM  Show Profile
They do love apple bark. We have that plastic shield stuff around the trunks of the apple trees and if my dogs aren't out I put down dog hair around the base of the trunks.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  6:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely bunnies love apple bark - we buy it as a treat for our 2 resident house rabbits.

One thing to try that keeps the bunnies out of our garden:
Use fresh rabbit manure from MALE rabbits. Rabbits are very very very territorial, and if something is scent-marked, it's more likely to not get disturbed.

Both of our buns are boys, so we just use what comes from the litterbox. See if you can find a rabbit owner/breeder near you, and ask if you can take their "bunny beans" off their hands.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  11:48:24 AM  Show Profile
We have deer problems and use one of those motion-sensor, battery-operated water sprinklers, DH moves it every two or three days. This weekend he will be putting up a motion-sensor security light on the well house, all of out fruit trees are planted in that area.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile
We have to use tree tubes to protect our trees, otherwise they are absolutely destroyed by rabbits. We've had many a young tree gnawed to death by bunnies. Now we put tubes on all our baby trees until they're well established. Unfortunately, rabbit season here is not the season when they're most active... and they're not considered a pest by our county laws, so it's technically illegal to hunt them out of season. You'll have to check your local laws if you're thinking of going that route.

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. My neighbor and another friend have rabbits, don't know if any are bucks, but I can check. My daughter only has does. They sure help keep the rest of our garden fertile.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  8:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Susan, we have a Japanese plum tree and I have seen two raccoons eating the fruit. They come during the night hours and have their own buffet! I keep cutting the branches higher, I think that is helping. Now, at least, we have fruit on the higher limbs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rabbit invasion Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page