rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile
i just returned inside the house after catching my neighbor's dog in my yard after his encounter with my chickens...
after he slunk his way back home i was greeted with feathers on the wind and one dead buff orpington, a wounded golden laced wyandotte, and a half de-feathered aracauna. not sure if those 2 sill make it. having my doubts about the wyandotte. my welsumer and speckled sussex seemed ok.
i know that dogs can be dogs and this one is always tied or in a kennel. not sure how he got loose, but he did and took the easy prey. my own dogs have gotten loose before, but to my knowledge have never killed anyone's animals.
i asked the neighbors to clean up the yard of the feathers and to replace any (if i decide i want anymore) for the cost of new chicks to replace the one that died and any others that die. i dont think that is unreasonable. i hold no malice toward the dog.
what do you all think? i just dont want bad vibes, cause overall they are good neighbors and dont want to cause a rift. my horses and dogs have gotten on their property a time or two, but my horses or dogs didnt kill anything either...

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile
once a dog starts killing for sport, unless said dog is kept in an escape proof pen, he will come back, and if your chickens are not avalible, your horses will be...not only is your neighbor liable for the dead and injured, they are also liable for future loss, i.e. , eggs...most farmer/ranchers use the 3 S's system, shoot, shovel and shut-up...good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  02:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Renee, you were very reasonable. I hope you don't get any attitude from your neighbor. That will really decide how you feel, won't it? The dog did what came naturally to it ... Sometimes, as you said, dogs get loose. If this is an unusual event, great. If it is something that happens often, you have a reason to be more annoyed, that's for sure.

I'm sorry you lost your birds...I hope it never happens again.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
You are being very reasonable. Just had the same problem with a dog that has been running loose every day since they moved in,5 yrs ago. He finally got through our perimeter fence, 1 dead opington, and one traumatized. Contacted owner, dog now penned up all the time, owner was very regretfull and apologized, DH didnot ask for chicken replacement this time.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  12:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, that's totally reasonable. If they give you any guff, hold the dog hostage next time- because there will be a next time.

I have a neighbor dog who likes to come around. It hasn't figured out where the chickens are yet, because my dogs keep him at a distance, but if he does figure it out, there will be a reckoning with the neighbor. No one needs 8 rescue dogs running around off-leash.

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  07:16:51 AM  Show Profile
Sorry about you losing your chickens Renee. Usually dogs dont stop killing chickens although some can be taught. Maybe they will be successful in keeping their dog off your place. You might have to pen up your chickens and only let them out when you are home and know the dog is contained. I think you are very reasonable to expect them to replace the birds. As for your horses just because the dog kills chickens doesnt mean that it will eventually go after the horses. But could happen especially if it is a pack of dogs.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  07:47:29 AM  Show Profile
I would think they would offer to replace the chickens or make compensation.
I know where I live that they owner is required to pay more than just replacement but what it was worth and what it could have produced.
We had a dog kill one of our chickens I asked the owner to compensate he refused. We could have turned him in but decided against it.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog first, pet second... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page