TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rhonda, I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me about herbs and tinctures. I hadn't thought about the break down being different, but I can see how that makes total sense between oil and alcohol. I have purchased tinctures from trusted apothecaries for medicinal purposes, but I have not made any myself. I am not opposed to having alcohol being in the contents of my products, and have used it for making floral waters, etc. as well as taken tinctures internally that have alcohol in them. I have purchased some salves also from an apothecary that were made with tinctures, and love how well they work. I have only made herb infused oils for my salves, which is how I learned in a couple of classes I have taken at two different apothecaries, but I'm excited to try my hand at tinctures to use in my homemade "potions" :) Some of the herbs I have harvested from my own garden. I have not tried to grow comfrey and I'm not sure it grows locally, but I should find out. I purchase mine through the apothecaries in my area, who I know use well trusted sources for their herbs, if they don't grow it themselves. I recently discovered a new (to me) apothecary while visiting a friend and the owner who very much looks like a Garden Fairy (smile here) has many herbs infusing on her shelves and it was very fascinating to see all of her tinctures. I would love to know EVERYTHING there is to know about herbs, but that will take me years and years and I am quite sure I will not ever learn all there is to know. For now, I like learning a little here and there and make products that are useful in my home and maybe help others out as well. I only make what I thoroughly understand though, so I ask a lot of questions. Thank you for sharing! I hope I can someday share tidbits with others too. I need to read up on Chickweed, as that is an herb I am not at all familiar with. I have heard the name but have never come across it in a receipe, until now. Yeah -something new for me to study. :) Thank you!!!!
Hugs,
Jo
Farmgirl Sister #5000

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  6:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo, you're welcome! I love talking about this stuff. I so enjoy going to other's places and looking at their potions on their shelves. I met a guy in NM who taught me about Osha right there on the spot. brought some home and wish I had access to more. I'd never heard of it before. I think comfrey would probably grow where you are, as it's not picky. the best way to start comfrey is from the root. Once you have it you have it pretty much forever. there's a place in NC where you can order it. It's called Nantahala farm and garden. I love comfrey so don't care how much it plants itself in my garden. it draws bees and seems to neutralize soil so truly a wonder! Do you have cottonwoods in your part of Colorado? you can gather those buds to keep your oils longer. they have to be nice and sticky. I gather them here in early spring. they make a beautiful oil and can be used for arthritis and other achey spots. maybe you can watch Rosemary Gladstar's webinar Thursday as she's going to talk about chickweed, another little wonder.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rhonda, Okay, here I go again --- another question. LOL. What is Osha? We do have cottonwood trees here in Colorado-- so I will have to see if I can find some. I don't have any in my yard because my husband is so allergic to the fluff, but I know there is some nearby somewhere. I will look around. So the cottonwood buds help somehow to make the oils last longer? How's that? Would be good to have for my arthritic hands. I have never heard of Rosemary Gladstar. I will look into that. Is the webinar free on the internet?

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Honey works Great for cuts! I used it for the first time over a year ago when one of my kids had an open sore from wearing their shoes without socks!They didn't tell me till a day or two after it started hurting...and we had no antibiotic ointment right then. I figured I had read it worked so for right then we'd try it. Was I surprised the next day when going to change the bandaid to find how much it had healed! It would have taken a week with antibiotic ointment to heal that much.We changed the bandaid once a day for three days each time putting a small amount of honey on it and within three days it was almost completely healed.

Another thing I learned in a herb class that helps with open cuts is cayenne,sounds like a not so good thing but,it will help clot quickly and doesn't burn or sting like you think it would. I haven't tried it on myself but,while we were doing the class someone got a cut and so they allowed it to be tried.
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile
cj6 -- now that's new! I hadn't heard of either one of those for cuts. I have heard that for burns you can use Lavender Essential oil (straight up) and it takes the pain out. I have tried it on sunburns -- mixed a few drops of it with aloe vera and I keep it in a spray bottle in the fridge. My husband had a pretty bad burn from golfing and forgot his sunscreen and this helped right away. Will work on those oven burns too. :) Thanks for sharing.
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:43:09 PM  Show Profile
i found a really good article on Osha at www.globalhealingcenter.com. Can't get it here but it's down in your part of the world. your herbal apothecary can probably get it for you

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I will check it out. Since you don't have it available to you there, would you like me to see if they get it fresh at the apothecary (dried) and send you some? Does it work well if it's been dried? Just a thought...

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  7:34:36 PM  Show Profile
I guess I should have read it first.... Looks like it's the root is the part you would want and not dried because of the oils it provides when fresh, right? Hmm... I'm not good at wildcrafting yet... but I can ask around.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Comfrey/plantain salve Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page